VOX Hello Kitty Officially Licensed uke!

kissing

Reaction score
I noticed a few of these on eBay (some in mahogany with geared tuners, some in mango with friction tuners. one very expensive one in koa with friction tuners) and the UAS bug really bit me hard.

Spent a whole few days arguing with the wife to let me spend my own money to buy it. Finally convinced her (she said: Why did you not show me that it was such a cute ukulele? I wouldn't have argued if you had shown me in advance.. anyway, long story).

Clicked Buy-it-Now with the first eBay seller and paid.
A day later, the seller apologises that it is out of stock and sends me a refund.

Ok, so I tried the second, and third.... and guess what?
They all claimed that it was out of stock.

That left the $1000+ Koa model, but unfortunately I didn't have the disposable income to justify such a purchase.

I despaired that I could not get this pretty little limited edition uke.

But lo and behold, I found a used one on Rakuten Global website (photo is from listing). Snagged it for cheap (about $150 USD) and came to me within a week via EMS Express.

I absolutely adore it. It's a lightweight laminate mango, with a gloss finish that feels like the nitrocellulose used by Kamaka. Sounds fantastic, and the friction tuners are surprisingly good (I usually prefer geared). Few nicks and dings, but overall excellent condition.

Anyone else own one of these limited editions?

yo3280-2.jpg

Hello Kitty is all about licensing fees and they'll let anybody use their logo if they pay. You can find almost any common item with the Hello Kitty logo, including booze and personal vibrators! Here's 750ml of Hello Kitty wine (Chardonnay as I recall) I recently saw at my local grocery store. Forty bucks a bottle and it was sold out a couple days later when I returned.

hello_kitty_wine_1134sm.jpg

How cute! I love it. How does it sound?

It sounds great! I haven't made a recording myself, but you can find some on Youtube.
While I was researching about the ukulele, I came across some Japanese websites that mentioned Kiwaya was involved in the manufacture.
It just may be a Kiwaya model in disguise.

Certainly sounds like one from playing.

Last edited:
Hello Kitty is all about licensing fees and they'll let anybody use their logo if they pay. You can find almost any common item with the Hello Kitty logo, including booze and personal vibrators! Here's 750ml of Hello Kitty wine (Chardonnay as I recall) I recently saw at my local grocery store. Forty bucks a bottle and it was sold out a couple days later when I returned.

Indeed there have been other "Hello Kitty" ukuleles here and there (think bright pink, plastic-y ukes)
But the reason why I was so attracted to this one is that it's a legit ukulele with quality construction and parts.
The "Hello Kitty" influence is subtle, with the inlayed and shaped sound hole, rather than the whole thing being painted like a 7 year old's bedroom.

Upon reading more about the ukulele (translating from Japanese), it mentioned Kiwaya may have been involved in the manufacture.

Cool uke!

I always thought magic fluke co should get a license for Hello Kitty and put licensed characters on their soundboards and sell the ukes in Hawaii. I think the Japanese tourists would go nuts over them.

Was yours made in Japan? I’ve been making myself crazy googling this and it seems some were made in the Philippines or Indonesia. Even if yours were made outside of Japan the fact that you love it and it plays well goes a long way.

Was yours made in Japan? I’ve been making myself crazy googling this and it seems some were made in the Philippines or Indonesia. Even if yours were made outside of Japan the fact that you love it and it plays well goes a long way.

I had expected it to be made in Japan until I received it.
Sticker inside the body says "Made in Philippines"
But it seems to be made to high QC standards. Near-flawless fit and finish all around.

Jerryc41 said:
There are certainly lots available - or at least listed online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hell...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That is just a google search. Actually finding one for sale is quite difficult.

There is a new Mango model on eBay available to the USA by a seller called "8thstreetmusic" which also includes the nicely logo'd gigbag.
I don't think I can share the link due to UU's overkill "spam" filter.

I also saw the $1000+ solid Koa version floating around on eBay.

At present, those 2 listings are all that's left - and believe me I looked for hours to find mine.

Top Bottom