Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mummified Necks

Default mummified Necks

Nothing technical here, just fretboards clamped on with sugical rubber tubing..I've done it this way for years without any problems.
    PICT0008 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I do pretty much the same thing only I use an old bicycle inner tube cut into strips. Not because they're better or anything I just had an old bicycle inner tube laying around my shed.
    My friends call me Titch. I have been known to clown.
    Ian Titulaer is my normie name.

https://sites.google.com/site/titchtheclown/

Noticed you have the frets installed prior to gluing down. The time I've tries this, the fretboard swelled up from the glue and cupped (in the bad direction), presumably due to the frets preventing the top side from expanding as much as the bottom side. And ended up getting gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Nothing technical here, just fretboards clamped on with sugical rubber tubing..I've done it this way for years without any problems.
    The fret boards look like purple heart? I used that for the fret board on a base I built several years ago. Very stable and quite attractive.
    Regards,
    Michael
    Brüko Soprano #4

Quote Originally Posted by mmn View Post
    The fret boards look like purple heart? I used that for the fret board on a base I built several years ago. Very stable and quite attractive.
    EI rosewood perhaps.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

From the title I thought you were trying 'bog oak'.
    My Website
    The stringed instrument database which I also run.
    I play far too many instruments to list, but I like 4 courses of nylon strings best!

Quote Originally Posted by Titchtheclown View Post
    I do pretty much the same thing only I use an old bicycle inner tube cut into strips. Not because they're better or anything I just had an old bicycle inner tube laying around my shed.
    Me too works a treat.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

I use pallet bands. I also use a couple of small brad nails snipped to a sharp point to keep the fretboard locked in place while the glue dries. This method is a lot more effective and efficient than it might seem, and it's easy to do multiple glue-ups at a time. Anyone reading this post should give it a try if they haven't already.
    Victor Jones
    Blue Frog Ukuleles

Bellevue, KY
    bluefrogvic@gmail.com
    http://bluefrogukes.weebly.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    EI rosewood perhaps.
    Yup! Chuck East Indian Rosewood.....Good to see you back showing interest in Uke building again...Hope you don't struggle getting back into the rhythm of building like I do when I've had a lay off
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hoji View Post
    Noticed you have the frets installed prior to gluing down. The time I've tries this, the fretboard swelled up from the glue and cupped (in the bad direction), presumably due to the frets preventing the top side from expanding as much as the bottom side. And ended up getting gaps.
    Dampen the upper side (prior to gluing) to counteract the cupping.

Thread Information