Thread: Stringing Help.

Default Stringing Help.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to this forum, I've been searching for help for months on end...

I've had my Fender Montecito Tenor for about 6 months now and the A string snapped, So i decided to change it myself.

But this is where I ran into some trouble.
    The stringing process went smooth but as soon as i started tuning it, I started running out of space on the tuning peg and I cant tune it as the string has no more space to wind around the peg.

I started fresh making sure there was little to no slack but the same outcome...

Please save me guys, I wanna get back to playing ASAP.

TL;DR - String snapped, decided to restring myself. String winds too many times around peg, can't tune need help <3

Zonkii
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use the method that Joel describes here. http://www.theukulelereview.com/2015...-2-headstocks/

Two big contributors to excess string are slippage and the knots/stopper mechanism at the bridge. Make sure your knots are as tight as possible, and you're not getting any slippage at the bridge.

In my experience using mostly fluorocarbon or nylgut strings, I pull the string as tight as I can by hand when feeding the string through the peg.

In a couple instances when I'm getting close to the picture you show and I know the strings will stretch more, I tune the uke to pitch (GCEA) the first time and leave it for a couple hours / half a day. Then, I'll come back to it and put a capo (or two) on the 2nd (and 3rd) fret. With the capo(s) holding some of the string tension, I'd unwind the string (one peg at a time), take out the slack and rewind.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Swiftsailor98; 08-22-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - PhD Ukulele Strings Tenor Low G
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

Also, after pulling the string tight before winding at the tuner, grabbing the string end there with a pair of pliers, and keeping tension on the excess string often reduces the number of string winds needed around the post. Can be awkward to do, but works for me, since the slack at the string end can't slip while winding.

This method also works well when you want to re-use a set of strings, but didn't leave much extra at the headstock end.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 08-23-2019 at 05:25 AM.
    John

Wow you guys are great! I've been searching for help everywhere. I'll try the above mentioned methods and let you guys know how it goes.
    Thanks for everything
    Zonkii

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftsailor98 View Post
    I use the method that Joel describes here. http://www.theukulelereview.com/2015...-2-headstocks/
    Thanks, this video is definitely a keeper. Though I never cut strings but always keep old ones in the case for a quick emergency replacement (as knot is already there) of single string or the whole set if it's still in good shape and for whatever reason i'd like to use it again.

lso, after pulling the string tight before winding at the tuner, grabbing the string end there with a pair of pliers, and keeping tension on the excess string often reduces the number of string winds needed around the post. Can be awkward to do, but works for me, since the slack at the string end can't slip while winding.

This method also works well when you want to re-use a set of strings, but didn't leave much extra at the headstock end.
    I used this method and what can I say, you saved my life! I decided to restring all 4 strings too.
    But i realized that I had a low G set, this is going to be my first time trying it out, any on here with experience?

Thanks again for everything dudes and dudettes

So here is the outcome, loving the wound Low G.

Thanks again everyone

Zonkii <3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information