Keleli Ukelele

I have never heard of them, but depending on the build quality, it seems like a bargain.
It is apparently made in USA.

From one of the photos on the eBay page (5th photo), the top appears to be SOLID whereas the back and sides are laminate

s-l1600.jpg

What about that photo says laminate back and sides to you? The top looks like solid spruce, the back looks like solid mahogany, and the sides look like mahogany, but there is no way to tell whether it is solid or not.

Looking at the website, it looks like a hobby builder. If that's the case, I would imagine it would be all solid. However, I would be a bit careful buying from a hobby builder because you won't get the same quality of finish that you would get from a professional, or even a mass-production factory. For example, that sound board does not look like it's an even thickness to me. I bought one from a (different) hobby builder a while ago, and while it looked great in the photos, I had to spend quite a bit of money to get it playable.

Anyone heard of this brand? http://kelaliuke.com/

Saw a pineapple koa/cedar Kelali on eBay for $275.00, didn't say whether solid or lam, so I assumed lam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pineapple-...964291?hash=item1a8191c743:g:N-oAAOSw1RhdRyK6

Funny, but I have the same two Skil tools and even the yellow Dewalt storage box. If only I had his skill (No pun intended). So, we have another K brand to choose from. :)

I see he's in California, and his name is Kevin Keith. I hope his middle name isn't Karl. :D

Last edited:
What about that photo says laminate back and sides to you? The top looks like solid spruce, the back looks like solid mahogany, and the sides look like mahogany, but there is no way to tell whether it is solid or not.

Looking at the website, it looks like a hobby builder. If that's the case, I would imagine it would be all solid. However, I would be a bit careful buying from a hobby builder because you won't get the same quality of finish that you would get from a professional, or even a mass-production factory. For example, that sound board does not look like it's an even thickness to me. I bought one from a (different) hobby builder a while ago, and while it looked great in the photos, I had to spend quite a bit of money to get it playable.

If you look carefully at the cross section of the back-wood, you can see that it is a laminate (there is a thin outer layer, separate from a thicker inner layer).
If the back is laminate, then presumably the sides are of the same laminate.

But it isn't the best photo, and I'm not 100% positive. It could be the lighting... but if I really squint hard at it, I can see that 2nd band as a laminate would have.

If you look carefully at the cross section of the back-wood, you can see that it is a laminate (there is a thin outer layer, separate from a thicker inner layer).
If the back is laminate, then presumably the sides are of the same laminate.

But it isn't the best photo, and I'm not 100% positive. It could be the lighting... but if I really squint hard at it, I can see that 2nd band as a laminate would have.

You've got a good eye. I think you might be right!

I see he's in California, and his name is Kevin Keith. I hope his middle name isn't Karl. :D

Could this be the same Kevin Keith who has Cocobolo Ukuleles out of Nicaragua? I know he's American and travels home frequently...I wonder if he's doing a side business? If so, I would have no trouble trusting his skills and the quality of his instruments. My Cocobolo concert is a gem!

Never mind...I just took a look at the Keleli website and it's not the same Kevin Keith.

If I was local, I wouldn't mind taking a hands-on look at some of his instruments. If they sound as nice as they look, they could be great bargains.

read all the responses...I took a gamble and bought one of his ukuleles. it is all solid wood. the workmanship is excellent.
tone and intonation are excellent. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. He puts another up for sale, i'll be on it.
I have 4 baritones right now and the Kelali is every bit as loud and fun to play as any of my other ukes. The body has as much depth and is almost as light as my Favilla, my loudest ukulele.

Honestly, if I didn't already have a custom ukulele on order and in-process, I'd be seriously tempted to drop some stimulus cash on one of those.

waiting for my 3rd Kelali...honestly, I don't know why he isn't sold out all the time. they are remarkable instruments, superb woodworking, huge voice and very reasonable prices...made in Santa Rosa, Ca

waiting for my 3rd Kelali...honestly, I don't know why he isn't sold out all the time. they are remarkable instruments, superb woodworking, huge voice and very reasonable prices...made in Santa Rosa, Ca

John, you've convinced me to try one of Kevin Keith's Lelali baritone ukes. Going for the Fir/Mahogany.
Definitely worth the try with your recommendation and his current pricing.

Kelali Baritone

I've had my Fir/Honduran Mahogany (all solid wood) Kelali baritone made by Kevin for a couple weeks. Love it. Spot on intonation, flawless wood work. Warm crisp tone. The design is less blingly (no binding or end graft) but there is a head plate, rosette, top and side dots. The joinery & satin lacquer finish is excellent. The neck is very comfortable, 1.5" wide at the nut. Body is a hair smaller than other baritones. The flatish neck profile suits me well, no pain for as long as I can play. The ebony fretboard is on the thick side, which I guess adds to the neck stiffness. Very comfortable neck & fretboard. It arrived well set up.

Sweet sound too. https://app.box.com/s/aj1pw2y8m3qyo629xkxesd6mqngbeooo

And for less than the cost of used Pono.

s-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited:
on my 4th Kelali. all are or have been great additions to my stable. they give away nothing in terms of volume, tone and value to my much more expensive baritones and tenors and if I thought I could get fair money for one of mine, I'd just play ukes with "K" on the headstock...and, of course my Outdoor for playing in the rain.

Top Bottom