Anyone try Seaguar Pink flurocarbon

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
So, I had Strings by Mail, send me four double sets of Oasis warm recently, when I really wanted Brights. Looking at gauges, I see three of four strings are the same gauges. Just the A string is different. If I move A string on warms to 4th string and add a .0215 I then have brights. Problem solved.

Salvarez makes a .0216 which I could buy and get Strings by Mail to mail to me in Canada. Then I thought about Seaguar fishing line. After reading a bunch of threads it appears that most people suggest 30-40 lbs Premier or Blue Label. Well, as chance would have it Cabellas only has pink label. 30 lbs =.020 and 40 lbs = .022. Both sizes I would be OK with to make my set.

Aside from string being Transparent pink in colour they say on Seaguar’s site 100% flurocarbon and even slightly less stretch that both Blue and Premier label. The links do not feel brittle. Do you think these would be fine.

I could do a Amazon.ca and get blue label. Wait a week. Just curious on what you folks who have tried fishing line think and suggest!

if I order 2 meter singles from String by Mail, I wait two plus weeks and it will be slightly more money that the $28 Canadian for 426 yard spool of either pink label or blue label shipped in.

Suggestions.

Pink label, looks to be the same stuff and blue label and premier label but pink hue. That being said, width huge response to this issue, perhaps should just order blue label on Amazon. Can anyone comment on using fishing line I general.. I’m not going to buy four spools and make sets, I just need to correct my ordering mistake for A string. One string seems harmless. LOL

From what I’ve read on fishing forums and info from the Seaguar site, Pink Label appears to be the same as Red Label. If this is true, Red Label is what Fred Shields uses on his ukuleles. I don’t like Red Label as much as Blue Label and Premier. I usually buy Seaguar cheaper off eBay, unless I need it right away and then I’ll drive to the tackle shop.

John

Thanks John. That is kind of info I was looking for. If Pink is like Red and someone has tried Red and didn't like them, I’m best to go safe route......order Blue label on Amazon and wait a week. It’s only one string but I’m going to do it on eight sets. I will post results of experiment

Most formula all use blue label anyways
Cheers

I've tried most of the Seaguar variants on my requintos and ukuleles and settled on Seaguar Pink Label for most of my 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings. It's not a night and day difference but Pink Label is a level smoother in texture than Seaguar Blue and a little rounder or sweeter in tone. I also like the feel and tone of Seaguar Premier but it's a little higher in tension than Pink at the same diameter (higher density fluorocarbon I assume). Premier is also very smooth under the fingers and quiet when I use fingernails (no squeak). I actually use Premier 40LB (.022") as a first string on some of my classical guitars because the tension is slightly higher than the Pink .022" (the .024" versions are too tense for my fingers). Blue Label is the only Seaguar product I really disliked due to the rougher texture, brighter timbre and tendency to fray easily compared to the Seaguar lines. Seaguar's newest product—Gold—I haven't tried yet (it's supposed to be even higher in density than Premier).

Interesting comment. Now, I’m on the fence. I like your comment that the PINK is a sweet sounding. I like bright but also like the idea of lower tension you mention for Pink as proposed to Premier. I also like the smooth feel vrs what you describe blue as being rougher to the feel.

I would assume because I’m simply making Oasis warms to bright that by just adding a single string, A string, and moving the .023 A that comes with set to high g, that either blue, Premier or pink would do.

This is why I live UU, everyone is so helpful.

seaguar Pink comes in 30 lbs =.020 gauge and 40 lbs=.022 gauge. Any comment on which on to use for A string. I see D’Addario carbon use a .0205 for their A string.

Thank you both for comments. Pink, is local. I can walk down to Cabela and buy it. It’s fast andd simple. I was just saying away because nobody had said they tried it. Now Guatemala. Which one?

I guess I should proof my post. I’m horrible typing on IPad and sometimes things come out not as expected with spell check. Ha ha second last sentence......should read Guage. As in which roll should u buy. 30 lbs for .020 “ or 40 lbs for .022 which is what Pink label offer. Just curious your suggestion having used it.

It really depends on your touch and instrument. I use Pink .020" (30LB) on my Kremona and Romero Creations tenors. I have Pink .022" on my Romero Creations Baritone 6, Tiny Tenor 6 and Pono MT-E tenor (with really low action).

I have a variety of tenors. My Tiny Tenor- solid top/laminate back and sides is one I’m thinking of and wanted Oasis bright on! I have Oasis brights on Pono AT and they sound great. My Pono MTD-SP has DAddario flurocarbon. It sounds good.

All have fairly low action. My touch can be light it heavy....hard to explain.....it depends on song and situation.

Thanks for comments. Your Uke reviews are great and I’ve gone to your site, in the past..I enjoy your playing.

Very thorough and well done.

I’d be curious also. I think I will try Pink label in 30 lbs test. I thing Cabellas has both 30 and 40 lbs. I will post finding in a few day. If any one can chime in on their additional experiences all the better. Funny if Red, Blueand Premier are most popular that Cabellas doesn’t have any! I was sold on Pink winemaker gochugogi said lower tension and smooth feel on Pink. Also, asi have a TT and Some Pono Tenor to mix pink with my Oasis Warms, sound like a good fit. More as I try it.

It would be nice to find someone who understands if knot strength (Seaguar site) equates to flexibility or surface texture or ??? It is difficult to know if it is marketing hype to sell fishing line, or there are true differences and is Pink really softer than Red. When I used Red it wasn’t bad, but for me it wasn’t as good as Blue or Premier. I have 8 to 10 rolls of various sizes of Seaguar. I don’t want to just try the Pink in hopes that a particular size will be better than the same size in Red. I’m always open to other options.

John

I agree it would be nice to know density of the flurocarbon Strings. I went with 30 lbs (.020”) pink label. I was worried the 40 lbs (.022 “)would be too high tension. The 30 lbs worked fine with my Oasis Strings. They settled in two days and stay in perfect tune. They sound good. I think .022 would also be fine. The Pink colour can hardly we noticed on ukulele mixed in with Oasis. I may consider getting a few more spools to make up sets. But for now, the experiment and $20 Canadian I spent was well worth it. Thanks to all for comments. It definitely help me in my situation.

As the promotion says, its about the ones that don't get away. Fishing line is about landing the fish. Most of the attributes have little to do with being used as a ukulele string. The colours can be about being invisible to the fish. Knot strength is about the knot holding onto the hook under extreme pressure, I doubt that it has much to do with ukuleles unless you want to use really high tension.
One thing that would be nice to know is the density. If one of the lines (same diameter and length) is more dense that the others it might make a better ukulele string. Perhaps you should weigh the spools and see if there is a weight difference, the heaviest line will have the highest density (same diameter and length). It will have the biggest mass as a string and may have better sustain etc..

If you go to the Seaguar website they indicate diameter and weight so you can extrapolate density from there. For example, Pink .020" 30LB is less dense than Gold .020" 40LB. Seaguar marketing claims Gold as its highest density line.

Last edited:
Actually fishing line/leader pounds is the break testing of the line. A 40lb test can withstand 10lb more before it breaks than 30lb test. Diameter in fishing is important because the thinner the line the less visible, apart from color in some situations. This makes Fluorocarbon line more desirable to fish with than nylon. I’m really not sure density plays any part in the strength to diameter ratio. I’m guessing the chemical properties have a bigger influence.

Years ago nylon/fluorocarbon fishing line/strings would sometimes have intonation issues and the solution would be to flip the string around. I see less of this today and any of the Seaguar should be fine.

John

I’d be curious to hear if either of you give the Gold label flurocarbon a try. Especially he .020 for A string. I’m pretty happy with the Pink 30 lbs test I tried. I may even get more spools to make sets. Very interesting discussion, I thank you both for chiming in!

Gold is on my Wish List at Amazon but, because it's new, it sells for about double the price of Pink. 25 yards of Pink is only $12—and I have plenty—so the Gold edition may take some time. Seaguar does claim increased density for Gold but I'm guessing the sonic difference and feel will prove tiny over Pink and Premier.

Thanks for the info on Gold. My two problem strings are A and C, especially C. I’d like to find a diameter between .022 and .024 for and A. C strings can range from booming to thud on some ukes. I’ve used .028, .029 and .031 with great and mixed results. I will be watching to see if Seaguar releases larger diameter leader.

John

Cammo fluorocarbon 80lb

Haven’t tried Seaguar Pnks but have tried Hi Seas Quattro (“4-color camouflage technology”) which includes what looks to me like pinkish. I only have the HSQ in 80lb/0.035”/0.90mm. It feels more “supple” than all the Seaguar Blues I’ve tried. Take that w a grain of salt as my experience w/fluorocarbon fishing line (& ukes) is limited. I’ve mostly tried them out on a sopranino & sopranissimo.

I also have Seaguar Blues 30, 40, 50, 60, 80; Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon Fluorocarbon Leader Clear 80 (not pictured) & Hi-Seas 100... Earlier this year I was hellbent on making my sub-sopranos play/sound decently in GCEA tuning, hence this collection. I might have been able to just use GHS soprano fluorocarbons (see 3:04) instead of resorting to all this, but that’s a different thread.

Happy to share ... can cut a yard or two or whatever & send via snail mail. PayPal to cover what you think is fair would be helpful... or I have a spreadsheet somewhere of how much each cost me per yard. I successfully did a test run of this w/a more experienced overseas (nonUS) uke player on this forum earlier this year.
Just send a PM that includes your email to request & I’ll respond via email.

F7D5BE7F-B048-48CB-B99B-30D3CEC72DCA.jpg

HiSeas Hi-Seas Yo-Zuri Seaguar fluorocarbon sopranino sopranissimo

Cammo fluorocarbon 80lb

Haven’t tried Seaguar Pnks but have tried Hi Seas Quattro (“4-color camouflage technology”) which includes what looks to me like pinkish. I only have the HSQ in 80lb/0.035”/0.90mm. It feels more “supple” than all the Seaguar Blues I’ve tried. Take that w a grain of salt as my experience w/fluorocarbon fishing line (& ukes) is limited. I’ve mostly tried them out on a sopranino & sopranissimo.

I also have Seaguar Blues 30, 40, 50, 60, 80; Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon Fluorocarbon Leader Clear 80 (not pictured) & Hi-Seas 100... Earlier this year I was hellbent on making my sub-sopranos play/sound decently in GCEA tuning, hence this collection. I might have been able to just use GHS soprano fluorocarbons (see 3:04) instead of resorting to all this, but that’s a different thread.

Happy to share ... can cut a yard or two or whatever & send via snail mail. PayPal to cover what you think is fair would be helpful... or I have a spreadsheet somewhere of how much each cost me per yard. I successfully did a test run of this w/a more experienced overseas (nonUS) uke player on this forum earlier this year.
Just send a PM that includes your email to request & I’ll respond via email.

View attachment 121325

HiSeas Hi-Seas Yo-Zuri Seaguar fluorocarbon sopranino sopranissimo
Is your sample offer still valid in 2022? I'm looking for a successful high e string for GDAE tuning. (Aquila 30U e string snapped before reaching tune, even with stretching inbetween peg turnings).

Top Bottom