Thread: Fret slot chisel

Default Fret slot chisel

You know when you pre-fit binding and then can't get it out so you have to use super glue and it wicks down the fret slot. Her's the fix:

IMG_0016.jpg

Grind the edge of a #25A scalpel then grind a 25 degree angle to form a chisel.

Here it is in action:

IMG_0015.jpg

I believe Chuck uses a piece of hot wire for that job it just sizzels away the CA..I tried it and the Cyanide fumes were deadly
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I misunderstood and commented on the wrong issue. Sorry, chaps!
    Last edited by saltytri; 08-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Yes this CA getting into the fretslot on a bound fretboard can be a real pain in the arse and I've spent my time digging it out. I feel your pain! My solution was to not let it happen in the first place. I do this by very lightly tacking the binding in a couple places with the fretboard slot side up and then turn over to the back side to do the real gluing. Also it really doesn't take much CA glue and it is always tempting to over apply. Have not had this problem since.

Mitres? This is the issue. I really need a 0.84mm end mill. Over to Think Tinker..

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I believe Chuck uses a piece of hot wire for that job it just sizzels away the CA..I tried it and the Cyanide fumes were deadly
    Actually I take a propane torch to one of those curved StewMac fret slot cleaning blades. Works a charm. If you are doing inlays in a fret board, a trick I learned from Grit Larkin is to fill the slots with plasticine clay before inlaying and then digging it out. The best advice though is just to be real careful and and avoid the situation from the beginning.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

You might want to try my method out Pete.

I so my fret boards at the front of my CNC so its easy to get to and I cut the purfling slot and inlay the purfling before I cut the fret slots. Never get CA in the slots that way.

Thread Information