Tenor Strings on a BaritoneUke

Koaloha Krazy

Reaction score
Can one string a baritone uke gcea? How might it impact the tone and the instrument itself? Thanks for your thoughts.

Can one string a baritone uke gcea? How might it impact the tone and the instrument itself? Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes you can string a baritone GCEA, Kala and Living Water make string sets specifically for that purpose. I have done it and it sounds like a tenor with more resonance and sustain because of the bigger body and longer scale length

Aquila used to make a set especially for that purpose too; when I briefly owned a Baritone scale ukulele, I used a set so that I could play along with the rest of our local group.

I've always described a baritone tuned to C as sounding like a great big tenor. If you want a plug and play solution, Mya Moe sells a "tenor tuned baritone" string set that uses a wound low G.

I have a 50s Harmony baritone with PhD low G strings. I like it better than when I had it tuned DGBE.

I Knew someone who did it with a Kala, and it sounded wonderful!

The cord shapes are just 5 down from the C tuned uke, so the easy way is to just play Baritone shapes.
G=C
C=F
B7=E7
etc.
Not too hard really. I play both and it keeps my brain active, which is a help in my dotage.:)

Top Bottom