Sore Bendable Left Thumb

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Too much practice and the next day my left thumb is sore at the first joint. It's because it bends back when I need some force for bar chords. I have a little mild arthritis and this is a problem that needs a solution. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

You shouldn't be needing anything like that level of force to play your instrument!

I'd guess the action on your ukulele is way too high if you need to squeeze that hard.

If you're not using a strap to support the instrument you may well be expending more effort than you realise just to hold it in place.

From one arthritic player to another, don't try to "play through" the pain, it'll only get worse. As soon as your thumb starts to hurt, STOP IMMEDIATELY! Take medical advice if you haven't already, some treatment can be effective in some circumstances, but what's good for me may not help you, so I'll make no other recommendations.

Good luck :music:

Yep, seen the videos, read the bar chord pressure thread here and am doing my best to not overdue it. Mim did a nice setup for me which is a slight bit lower than usual, so I don't think that's the problem.
Since I'm a beginner, I can practice many things without needing much, if any, thumb pressure (scales, open chords, etc). I haven't used a strap, so that may be next to try. Do some straps hold the ukulele more solidly in place than others?
Thanks for the replies.

Consider a "squeeze ball" to strengthen the hand by exercising it. An old tennis ball is a good place to start (better than a new ball cuz of the resistance).

I am fortunate enough to be relatively young and have no problems with arthritis. Still my left thumb can get sore when playing.

I find that two things can make it worse.

When I have to press and release the strings to mute strings to shorten the duration of the notes. The pumpning action is hard on the thumb.

When I move the barre chord shape up and down the fretboard, but forget to move the thumb along. This can happen if I am playing a thicker neck than I am used to, or one with gloss finish, which can be stickier than the satin I am used to. When I forget to move it, the angle of the thumb becomes uncomfortableand puts more stress on the thumb. I really must pay more attention to this.

Anyone else catch themselve doing this?

I have for the most part solved my bendable thumb problem by:
1. Strengthening the thumb as suggested by some of you. That's both with a ball and just practicing but not overdoing.
2. Paying a lot of attention to not bending it! I work with this as much as any other exercise.
3. Using the idea of squeezing behind the barred finger like it is a clothespin (when possible).
3. Most importantly, and what made the other steps above work, was to keep the ukulele straight up and down as possible. Yes, I was playing with it not straight up so I could see the frets better and this caused much of the bending problem.
Thanks again to everyone.

Nah, I can bend them when I want to.

Here’s an exercise for you guys:

Play a full chord, for example a full C major (all four strings are fretted -5433) as you would normally play it.
Now play the C major WITHOUT your thumb.
I use very little left thumb pressure. It’s your right forearm than pulls the uke towards your body while your left fingers pull onto the fret board. Think of a swing that pivots on your waist/chest, and with the strap you should be able to take you left hand away and the uke will stay there in the same position.

Play full chords without your thumb for five minutes. Pressure on the fretboard, pressure on your right forearm. Now play individual notes, the C scale, NO left thumb.
It gets easier and in time you’ll wonder why you ever let that thumb slow you down.

-and get a strap on that ukulele and think about your whole body, hold that uke like you’re ready to do something! :)

oh and remember that this is just an exercise, as long as you can do the exercise you can go and play however you like afterwards.
Good luck.

Last edited:
So can one play barre chords if they had no thumb on the left hand? I sort of get the idea from reading this thread that one could if they practiced enough. I have arthritis or old age problems plus injury from overuse of hands carrying bricks with thumb and index finger. Squeeze, forget it. I have so far learned to play with ukulele almost pointing at the ceiling. I use a strap and always sit. When I turn my wrist my whole arm moves too. Wrist has little twisting motion unless arm comes with it. Yes, I am a stiff old man. I have been going weekly for over a year to a physical therapist for my back, shoulders, arms, hands. However, even the slightest pressure using my left thumb still causes some pain.

The general rule for pain is stop.
There are some types of pain and stiffness that just show that you’re working well, but if in doubt you definitely stop.

Hi Johnny, I love your passion for finding a way to keep on playing. I'm almost a decade younger than you and have only mild problems compared to yours. I tried yahalele's approach to not using the thumb at all and see how it might work but it would take a lot of practice and I don't think I need to go there yet. My issue when playing is/was only at the first (distal) thumb joint. I hope we're both finding ways to play at one hundred.

The general rule for pain is stop.
There are some types of pain and stiffness that just show that you’re working well, but if in doubt you definitely stop.

That is exactly why I only play certain barre chords and know that there is some barre chords that I will never play. I try many different things to be able to play but when pain comes I open my hand and stop.

Hi, Ed1!

I always show how I play in person, when my friends have problem to practice. I believe that is the best way to learn. If you see these barre chords in person, you can do them. If you have no teacher or ukulele friends at the moment. You need to think, watch and listen very carefully in practice. Fingering of ukulele is very unusual move. Hence they are very difficult. Once I taught 2nd grade primary school girl. First time I taught her, she can not play G shape, and she used right hand to put her ring finger on the fretboard (see the photo below). Even such small child has such simple difficulty. We improve our skills, when we aware some tips. Hence we always need to think, watch and listen very carefully when practice. Brain learns much faster than muscles. Thinking brings us fun in practice. Even we need to think how to practice. If we find good way to practice, we can apply it any other fingering, other practice or even other hobby. Try and think. Try and watch. Try and listen. I think that is the best way to practice.

Hi yahalele,

yes, your thoughts ring true. I once had a jazz piano teacher who told me to practice slower and if I wasn't thinking about everything I was doing all the time, I wasn't practicing correctly. Thanks to your and others help, I am becoming more aware of fret board position of my fingers and thumb as I slow down my metronome while practicing. Thanks.

Hi, Ed! A friend of mine said to me that he wanted to start guitar a couple of years a go. I told him that ukulele is much easier. At that time, he gave up start any music instruments. A couple month ago, he started piano. He is 75 years old. He's found a good teacher. He told me that he can not play both right and left hand at once. I told him that you need to practice both left hand and right hand respectively. Once you are very sure to play you can try both hands together. I also told him, repeat difficult parts slowly and exclusively not to repeat whole phrase. And analyses why he can not play it. We meet every two weeks in local library. Next time I met him, he was very happy and proudly told me he could play both hands. Teacher only advised him that he should play more fluently. ;-)

Our posture while seated is often not very good. I find myself leaning back while I practice at home. The uke is flat to my chest, but it is no longer vertical to the ground. This causes the wrist to bend and does bad things for your hand. The leverage is also affected when you make chords.

One thing you can do is to rotate your hand counter-clockwise when squeezing for a barre. This can provide some of the pressure instead of it all coming from your thumb.

Also, try to get in the habit of stretching your fingers and thumb on both hands before you practice or play. This helps lessen some of the pain in my thumb from arthritis and muscle fatigue. Ibuprofen helps to reduce the inflammation—if your stomach can tolerate it.

Best of luck.

Top Bottom