Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross rock case question

Default Cross rock case question

In October/November I am flying from SLC to Tampa for TBUG and a family visit. I'm taking my Blackbird Clara. I will be carrying it on the plane, flying Delta. It has a very nice Gator padded case that I'd prefer to carry it in. The Gator is well padded, has nice backpack straps, and a large front pocket. I flew from SLC to LA last summer for the LA Uke festival with my ukulele in a Gator padded case. I had no issues with it in the overhead. Due to a leg disability, I pre-board, so I do have a better choice of where to put it in the overhead.

However....this will be a much longer trip, with plane changes, etc. Plus, last year it was an Islander ukulele, and not a Blackbird Clara. I'm exploring hard case option that can be used backpack style. The Crossrock CRA 400 zippered molded ABS case has 3 D-rings for backpack straps. Anyone have experience with a Clara in this particular case. The measurements on Amazon look like it will work, but wondering if anyone has used this case?

Thanks my ukulele ohana.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    In October/November I am flying from SLC to Tampa for TBUG and a family visit. I'm taking my Blackbird Clara. I will be carrying it on the plane, flying Delta. It has a very nice Gator padded case that I'd prefer to carry it in. The Gator is well padded, has nice backpack straps, and a large front pocket. I flew from SLC to LA last summer for the LA Uke festival with my ukulele in a Gator padded case. I had no issues with it in the overhead. Due to a leg disability, I pre-board, so I do have a better choice of where to put it in the overhead.

However....this will be a much longer trip, with plane changes, etc. Plus, last year it was an Islander ukulele, and not a Blackbird Clara. I'm exploring hard case option that can be used backpack style. The Crossrock CRA 400 zippered molded ABS case has 3 D-rings for backpack straps. Anyone have experience with a Clara in this particular case. The measurements on Amazon look like it will work, but wondering if anyone has used this case?

Thanks my ukulele ohana.
    I apologize for not replying to your "size" inquiry, but as a recent purchaser of a Crossrock CRA800 ABS Hard-Shell Case I wanted to make you aware of another consideration. My Crossrock stinks!! It came sealed in a plastic bag (within box) and from the moment I opened it I was choking on a strong petroleum-like odor. I let it "air out" in the garage for two weeks; closed it and loaded it with those absorbent gel/silica packs for another 2 weeks; sprayed Febreeze Neutral lightly and left in in the basement with a dehumidifier for two MORE weeks! It was intended for my solid wood Romero Tenor, but until the odor is gone (diminished, but still not yet) it's going unused. I don't want the wood absorbing any of the smell. My future purchases will be from a local music store where I can inspect it on sight/smell !
    Last edited by Web_Parrot; 08-25-2019 at 03:10 AM.

I have 2 crossrock hard cases that I ordered from Amazon. The latches are not very good (not sure if these were seconds) so I put a Velcro strap around the neck when I travel. Personally, I am thinking that I would rather travel with a padded case in the future because of the banging around factor. I am thinking of a Fusion bag.
    Last edited by Martinlover; 08-23-2019 at 12:48 PM.

You should have no problems with gator HSC for a trip like that. I have traveled much longer trips with both my Pono tenors. They are in OhAu cases from HMS I have also done longer trips with my Tiny Tenor ant it’s HSC is foam type and takes up much more space.

Honestly, travel with what you have. You will be fine.

I’ve heard of the off gassing on Chinese cases. I personally like the zippered Crossrock case although have no experience with actually using it.

Good luck. I’ve never had an issue with traveling with tenor on any airline. I destine a step and even if they make me check, I’m not worrried. I would use the valet service if that was the case which is what they do for carry on if it gets crowded on the plane. Saying that, I’ve NEVER been forced to check a ukulele.

I guess I was lucky. I bought a Crossrock case from Amazon, and it didn't have any odor, and the latches were fine.
    Maybe I got one from an earlier batch that didn't have the problems?

My Crossrock had a slight "new car smell" out the gate but not noticeable unless I stuck my nose in the case and against the fabric. A year or so out it simply smells like whatever I keep in it, in this case a Kremona ukulele. Of course I don't have a doggie nose like some so your mileage may vary. I like the zippered molded ABS case style better than latches and it's a level above most gig bag protection. It does look a little too much like a student violin case so you might be mistaken for someone you're not...

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    My Crossrock had a slight "new car smell" out the gate but not noticeable unless I stuck my nose in the case and against the fabric. A year or so out it simply smells like whatever I keep in it, in this case a Kremona ukulele. Of course I don't have a doggie nose like some so your mileage may vary. I like the zippered molded ABS case style better than latches and it's a level above most gig bag protection. It does look a little too much like a student violin case so you might be mistaken for someone you're not...
    The zippered ABS is the one I’m thinking about. I think my Gator gig bag has plenty of padding, but it’s the crush protection that I’m concerned about. My Clara fits in both of my other standard shaped hard cases, so hopefully it would fit the Crossrock.
    My ukulele family.....
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    I have 2 crossrock hard cases that I ordered from Amazon. The latches are not very good (not sure if these were seconds) so I put a Velcro strap around the neck when I travel. Personally, I am thinking that I would rather travel with a padded case in the future because of the banging around factor. I am thinking of a Fusion bag.
    Amazon is being sued by some manufacturers for co-mingling inventory so that some "sold by amazon" items were actually fakes of poor quality. You should return the item, as it probably isn't from Crossrock.

I’d never buy a case made of ABS. Especially for an instrument of value, I’d punt extra $ for fibreglass ( if weight is an issue) or an arch topped wooden one.
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 08-24-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    I’d never buy a case made of ABS. Especially for an instrument of value, I’d punt extra $ for fibreglass ( if weight is an issue) or an arch topped wooden one.
    Why not ABS?
    My ukulele family.....
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Thread Information