Season 393 - Are You Hep to the Jive?

Yukio

Reaction score
Hipsters! Flipsters! and Finger-Poppin' Daddies!
Knock me your Lobes!

We are going to dive into the JIVE (*) on the next Wig-Flippin' session of The Three Hundred and Ninety-Third Season of the Ukulele!

We want to peep what all you cats and kitties have been laying down to let others dig your meaning, or like what you have dug in the verbiage of other out-there cats and kitties.
What solid songs have sent you into the stratosphere with their fancy flights of jive?
We want you to hep us to what it is all about!

Rev up the ol' bean, latch on to a spark, and lay down some video trickeration and post it post-haste to YouTube.

Grok that you have a Set of Eight Brights, running from the black of 12-Chimes in Hawaii this Sunday to the 12-Chimes of blackness that ring out the final dregs of Sunday-the-Next on the Islands of Aloha.

Not being much for rules, there are none, other than it knocks us out when you play the ukulele, so it's like cool to do so.
Also not being much for dough right at the moment, we got no prizes to send to you, since it takes geets to get 'em and still more green to wing 'em your way, and like we said, we got none.
But it's still like cool to bust your conk and send us your solid-sender anyway.

PLAYLIST

*Now listen, children, know that by "JIVE" you could say we mean "SLANG." Or at least those special words or phrases used on the street, by musicians, beatniks, pipefitters, sailors, gangsters, loggers, or any other group that uses this type of language in their group but what may be a bit alien to others outside the group.

Are you hearin' me clear? Songs using jive-lingo or what you might call "slang" in a song. Now go wail-up some killer licks and lay 'em on me!

Last edited:
Oh stewardess, I speak jive. He said he is in great pain and wants to know if you can help him.

Solid, Jack!

Keep the love raining gently down upon the hats, cats!

If you need some help gettin' your fuse lit, look up some of these longhairs...

Lord Buckley
Al "Jazzbo" Collins
Harry "The Hipster" Gibson

Yip Rock Heresy

From what I can piece together, Slim wrote this song about his time living in Detroit where an Armenian woman
had taken him in and often cooked him Arabic food. The song, Yip Roc Heresy, is made up almost entirely
of Arabic food names. "Yip roc" is actually "yabraq," stuffed grape leaves, and "heresy" is actually "heressah,"
a sweet semolina dessert.

Lyrics:
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Ku'bisinee e kubu'ba
U'lu hu'mish u mak voutee
Yep ruk hu'reesee
U luh mish wey u luh mish voutee
U luh mish u ruenimoa
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Ku'bisinee e kubu'ba
U'lu hu'mish uv oa voutee
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Oa voutimoa
Kibi'sini kibisee voutee kibisee voutee
Kibisee vuetee
Uee chiku chiku chiku chkie
La ho mak vuenimoa
Mu'saan bu or'uenee
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Ku'bisinee e kubu'ba
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Aluh mish vuetee u luh mish o'reenee
U luh mish vuetee u lu mi rueneemoa
Yep ruk hu'reesee
Ku'bisinee e kubu'ba
Yep ruk hu'reesee
U luh mish wey chilee un tu'meytoa saus
Ou voutee hu'reesee
Ku'bisinee e

Last edited:
Hipsters! Flipsters! and Finger-Poppin' Daddies!
Knock me your Lobes!

We are going to dive into the JIVE on the next Wig-Flippin' session of The Three Hundred and Ninety-Third Season of the Ukulele!

We want to peep what all you cats and kitties have been laying down to let others dig your meaning, or like what you have dug in the verbiage of other out-there cats and kitties.
What solid songs have sent you into the stratosphere with their fancy flights of jive?
We want you to hep us to what it is all about!

Rev up the ol' bean, latch on to a spark, and lay down some video trickeration and post it post-haste to YouTube.

Grok that you have a Set of Eight Brights, running from the black of 12-Chimes in Hawaii this Sunday to the 12-Chimes of blackness that ring out the final dregs of Sunday-the-Next on the Islands of Aloha.

Not being much for rules, there are none, other than it knocks us out when you play the ukulele, so it's like cool to do so.
Also not being much for dough right at the moment, we got no prizes to send to you, since it takes geets to get 'em and still more green to wing 'em your way, and like we said, we got none.
But it's still like cool to bust your conk and send us your solid-sender anyway.
Probably my new favourite Seasons intro of all time - but I’m not sure I understood a word of it! :D :D :D

Wait so are we playing Jive or playing whatever the hell we want or is that the same thing?

So, Jive in this context...

Songs with passages that are hard to understand?
Songs suitable for dancing jive?
Songs with the word Jive in them?

I am not that familiar with jive music...

For you folks on the other side of the pond ... Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive

Cab Calloway, Louis Prima, Louis Jordan, jump blues, pre-'50s rhythm and blues ...

My Lords and Ladies of the Royal Court,
It knocks me out that this Solid Season of the Hip-Swingin' Ukulele is open and ready to soar!

For the benefit of all, we need to have a little chop-beating session without all the hip lingo so that all you cats can dig my meaning:

The theme, gentle ones, is really and truly about SLANG and how you sling it around your turf. Sometimes it is confusing to others, but that is part of the game. Talking JIVE (in whatever language you speak) sets you and your understanding listener apart from the squares.

One well known example is the word "BAD." Taken at face value, "bad" is bad. Spoken with the right inflection or in the right context, "bad" is hella good.

Yes, as Keith pointed out, you could translate all of this in terms of "Brash Americanisms," or "Brash Icelandic," or whatever you want.

Yes, I am very happy to hear anything from Hendulele's list.

Sorry Ryan, I forgot that "jive" is both a style of music and dance to GB folks. In America, we would just call it swing or jump blues or whatever. But what I am looking for is simply cool usage of slang in songs. Any type of song, any type of slang.

If the JIVE that you are presenting is difficult for others outside your language or social group to understand, perhaps you could try to explain your meaning in the comments section of your video. Not at all required...only if such a thing is fun for you.

Are we all noddin' in agreement? (Or maybe noddin' off?) We are almost ready to return to your program... but first, a word from our sponsor!

The Hepster's Dictionary of Jive

Last edited:
Here we go. Just a little suttin I rustled up last night after a couple drinks

Chris - I expected the unexpected...you didn't disappoint.I went the literal jive route.Cause i hadn't seen your SLANG of any sort explanation.No worries- got me to learn a cool song I've always liked but never thought of playing.

Frim Fram Sauce and the Chafafafafa on the side. Got to be nonsence nonsence Jive talk.

Top Bottom