Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 393 - Are You Hep to the Jive?

So, Jive in this context...

Songs with passages that are hard to understand?
    Songs suitable for dancing jive?
    Songs with the word Jive in them?

I am not that familiar with jive music...
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Brash - '40s - American

I think that's what this week is about(?).

It'll be interesting to see how many cool cats out there.....
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

For you folks on the other side of the pond ... Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive

Cab Calloway, Louis Prima, Louis Jordan, jump blues, pre-'50s rhythm and blues ...
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

you've got to be hot before you play cool!

My Lords and Ladies of the Royal Court,
    It knocks me out that this Solid Season of the Hip-Swingin' Ukulele is open and ready to soar!

For the benefit of all, we need to have a little chop-beating session without all the hip lingo so that all you cats can dig my meaning:

The theme, gentle ones, is really and truly about SLANG and how you sling it around your turf. Sometimes it is confusing to others, but that is part of the game. Talking JIVE (in whatever language you speak) sets you and your understanding listener apart from the squares.

One well known example is the word "BAD." Taken at face value, "bad" is bad. Spoken with the right inflection or in the right context, "bad" is hella good.

Yes, as Keith pointed out, you could translate all of this in terms of "Brash Americanisms," or "Brash Icelandic," or whatever you want.

Yes, I am very happy to hear anything from Hendulele's list.

Sorry Ryan, I forgot that "jive" is both a style of music and dance to GB folks. In America, we would just call it swing or jump blues or whatever. But what I am looking for is simply cool usage of slang in songs. Any type of song, any type of slang.

If the JIVE that you are presenting is difficult for others outside your language or social group to understand, perhaps you could try to explain your meaning in the comments section of your video. Not at all required...only if such a thing is fun for you.

Are we all noddin' in agreement? (Or maybe noddin' off?) We are almost ready to return to your program... but first, a word from our sponsor!

The Hepster's Dictionary of Jive
    Last edited by Yukio; 08-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Here we go. Just a little suttin I rustled up last night after a couple drinks

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Cool cat and Way out must qualify as Jive talk.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Chris - I expected the unexpected...you didn't disappoint.I went the literal jive route.Cause i hadn't seen your SLANG of any sort explanation.No worries- got me to learn a cool song I've always liked but never thought of playing.

Frim Fram Sauce and the Chafafafafa on the side. Got to be nonsence nonsence Jive talk.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

for season 393

Thread Information