Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Season 393 - Are You Hep to the Jive?

HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

My contribution this week is my settings of a few very short songs from Russell Hoban's Dystopian Sci-Fi masterpiece "Riddley Walker". One of my favourite reads of the 1980s.
    The whole novel is written in an English that might have developed 2000 years after a new-clear war has devastated Inland (ex-England) and most of the world's population has returned to an iron age state.

Like reading Cormac McCarthy's punctuation-less works, it takes a little getting into. But like C.Mc, you soon get into the swing of it and barely notice after a chapter or so.

if you don't know the book, I thoroughly recommend it, along with almost everything Hoban wrote.

Note the first songlet describes a spiral path around nine towns in Kent, which have all changed their names in the future Inland. Those of you familiar with Kent, see how many current place names you can guess from their future nomenclatures.

The music I have come up with for these little pieces owes more to the Incredible String Band than hip, cool and hot jive. But I suppose that is Ok, isn't it?
    Hope you enjoy my little:

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

an original song for the season

SLIPPERY LIP BLUES

Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'll be makin' tracks
    Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'm makin' tracks
    Honey I'm leavin' here, but I'll be home someday

All your jivin', made me flip my wig
    And left me slidin', on your slippery lips
    Honey I'm ridin' now, but I'll be home someday

All your jivin', made me snap my cap
    I'm on the beam, with smoky joe in tack
    Ain't got the moxie now, but I'll be home someday

Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'll be makin' tracks
    Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'm makin' tracks
    Honey I'm leavin' here, but I'll be home someday

Last one from me this week. This was released by Renato Carosone in 1947. It's in Italian, but if the comments on the original on YouTube are to be believed it's in a Neapolitan dialect that other Italians struggle to understand.

I don't speak Italian, much less Neapolitan so apologies in advance for either mispronouncing or skipping over some words.

Anyway. Its about a trend for post-war Neapolitans embracing American culture and leaving their own behind. But very tongue-in-cheek

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

In Finland, the most famous slang is "stadin slangi" from Helsinki area. Historically, it contains many Swedish and Russian words, but nowadays the influence of English language is the strongest. This slang is not only spoken - the Finns have published comic books and classic poems, translated into "stadin slangi". Here is one example, a Finnish slang version of a Japanese poem by Taira no Kanemori:

I am running behind on hosting duties because I got involved in fixing up a good chart for this song for Silly Dave. It was kind of tricky, so it took me much longer than I anticipated. Thanks for your patience, folks!

I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

thank you for this week Christopher.
    i think the last one from me.
    this, an improvisation on baritone, open D tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc.

Well, I've heard that expression and I'm not THAT old ... or maybe I am!!!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc. https://youtu.be/Ghzr00-b1sI
    I suspect most Brits on here will know it. It's an expression that I've heard and used most of my life. I'll see if I can find out more about its origins. I have a theory but it could be wildly wrong.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thread Information