Season 393 - Are You Hep to the Jive?

Christopher,
Thank you for the clarification. I was fuzzy on the meaning of the theme but now I dig it. The lyrics are posted in the you tube description, slang included!

Ah! Just the first early bright and you cats are comin' on so sweet and so strong! I have been diggin' what you daddies been layin' down!
Since this is my first chance to MC this gala event, I have to ask....
IS THIS A THING? ----
Why do I feel like these vids I been peepin' at appear to be some of the finest material I have ever seen on the Seasons?
Check them out and see if you can prove me wrong!

Here is an old favorite of mine by Slim Gaillard:

Slim's Jam

Ah, so now I get it. An hour last night spent looking for songs you can jive to, and songs with "Jive" in the lyrics, was all for nothing. Or "nowt" as we say around these parts.
But for my contribution, I take you to the East end of London, where Cockney Rhyming Slang is a big thing. Think of a word you want a slang term for. Then think of a word that rhymes with it. Then (usually) think of a third word which is linked in some way to that rhyming word. So, if we want an alternative word for "talk", we go to pork, and then rabbit & pork (a favourite pie, apparently). Then forget the pork bit. And wait for Chas and Dave to come along and write a song about it. (P.S. And for those not from these shores, Sainsburys is a slightly up-market food store)

Last edited:
Ah, so now I get it. An hour last night spent looking for songs you can jive to, and songs with "Jive" in the lyrics, was all for nothing. Or "nowt" as we say around these parts.
But for my contribution, I take you to the East end of London, where Cockney Rhyming Slang is a big thing. Think of a word you want a slang term for. Then think of a word that rhymes with it. Then (usually) think of a third word which is linked in some way to that rhyming word. So, if we want an alternative word for "talk", we go to pork, and then rabbit & pork (a favourite pie, apparently). Then forget the pork bit. And wait for Chas and Dave to come along and write a song about it. (P.S. And for those not from these shores, Sainsburys is a slightly up-market food store)

Oh! sorry to jive you, Steve! I forgot that Brits use that word in a special way!
Okay, may we call it even? You: trying to understand my bent (or badly broken) season description, and me: trying to understand how "rabbit" = "talk."
Yes, I did take the liberty of docking extra points from your side for the song's attempt to rhyme "girl" with "smell!"

Yes, I did take the liberty of docking extra points from your side for the song's attempt to rhyme "girl" with "smell!"
That could well be the fault of my non-cockney upbringing. I haven't checked, but I think Chas & Dave probably pronounced girl more like "gell"

Oh! sorry to jive you, Steve! I forgot that Brits use that word in a special way!
Okay, may we call it even? You: trying to understand my bent (or badly broken) season description, and me: trying to understand how "rabbit" = "talk."

With Cockney rhyming slang two words are often used
Apple and Pears = Stairs, Half Inch = Pinch (Steal) Plates of meat = Feet
Where it gets difficult is that Tit for Tat = Hat
drops the Tat and becomes TITFER which still means Hat
So with Rabbit and Pork = Talk the Pork is left out a Rabbit = Talk

Hello, Christopher! This canary ain't got the chops for jive, man .... in fact, she's losing her voice! I am hesitant about bringing this travesty to the portals of such a consummate musician as yourself, however, I wanted to get something done as I haven't missed a week since I joined the Seasons three years ago and we are going back to the Mother Country for all of this week, so today was the only chance I had. Apparently this song comes under the "jive" category as it seems to appear on all the lists ... it's not an easy one to sing, though, when you're getting a cold.

So, Jive in this context...

Songs with passages that are hard to understand?
Songs suitable for dancing jive?
Songs with the word Jive in them?

I am not that familiar with jive music...

So sorry! I guess my cheeky introduction to the season is too easily misinterpreted! <<MY BAD!>> It is easier to understand when I restate the theme as, "SLANG words" used in songs. Any type of slang in any type of song.

Hello, Christopher! This canary ain't got the chops for jive, man .... in fact, she's losing her voice! I am hesitant about bringing this travesty to the portals of such a consummate musician as yourself, however, I wanted to get something done as I haven't missed a week since I joined the Seasons three years ago and we are going back to the Mother Country for all of this week, so today was the only chance I had. Apparently this song comes under the "jive" category as it seems to appear on all the lists ... it's not an easy one to sing, though, when you're getting a cold.

Dear Val,
You get an apology from me, too. You see, my introduction was written as a piece of "jive or hip speech" and thus, could be easily misinterpreted. Most unfortunately you went the hard route, and honestly tried to bring a song that you found listed as a song from a genre called "Jive," a genre that has no meaning to Americans such as myself. By jive, I mean slang. Tough song with a time constraint to boot! Anyway, rough go, but enjoy a visit to Mother England with your perfect Seasons attendance record intact.

Dear Val,
You get an apology from me, too. You see, my introduction was written as a piece of "jive or hip speech" and thus, could be easily misinterpreted. Most unfortunately you went the hard route, and honestly tried to bring a song that you found listed as a song from a genre called "Jive," a genre that has no meaning to Americans such as myself. By jive, I mean slang. Tough song with a time constraint to boot! Anyway, rough go, but enjoy a visit to Mother England with your perfect Seasons attendance record intact.

Oh, er .... bother!!!!

I also got the wrong end of the stick initially and recorded a little paoriginoodle for the season which I hoped would be jive(ish) or at least jump blues(ish) enough to count.
I hope by renaming it Barking Up the Wrong Tree it will become acceptable.

Bonza theme Christopher!
Thanks for hosting.

With Cockney rhyming slang two words are often used
Apple and Pears = Stairs, Half Inch = Pinch (Steal) Plates of meat = Feet
Where it gets difficult is that Tit for Tat = Hat
drops the Tat and becomes TITFER which still means Hat
So with Rabbit and Pork = Talk the Pork is left out a Rabbit = Talk
You’re ‘avin a giraffe Rob!

I thought go-go was slang for pee pee, wee wee or tee tee..............Ive always been confused about this song? You certainly don't have to wake me before you go-go!

I thought go-go was slang for pee pee, wee wee or tee tee..............Ive always been confused about this song? You certainly don't have to wake me before you go-go!

Well, thank you, Linda ... you have justified my submission for this week! To be honest, I can't say I've ever heard of "go-go" in a lavatorial context, but ... THANK YOU!!! (And, fear not, I wouldn't dream of disturbing you for such a minor event.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom