Season 393 - Are You Hep to the Jive?

Ribbit Ribbit. Alright, Croaky, well keep hopping along....:rolleyes:

This is definitely not my best attempt at an original song, but I tried writing one using jargon that is common in my job. The second video is me explaining the first one.

He said, The first one's on the island
But it's usually under mulch
Might have to use your shovel
But you shouldn't dig too much
Most of it is foot on doubles
Until you get to the last ten
It'll bring you back to your truck
Then you can motor out the end

Loop out the cul-de-sacs
All the way to the end and back
If you can criss-cross on the straightaways
Maybe you'll have an easy day
Check the map or you might deadwalk back
Going back over your own tracks
And don't forget to loop out the cul-de-sacs

You can try to read the leaks
If the water's clear and not too deep
You can try to bail them out by hand
With a plastic bottle from a garbage can
Don't stick your hand down in the mire
Just code 'em damaged, and take a picture
If I was you, I'd just wait, or
You can always tube 'em later

If you have to go inside the fence
Make sure you take a good long look
Watch for signs of dogs and take no risk
And whatever you do, never drop your hook

Last edited:
Billy Connolly famously worn "banana boots" and one has to wonder if his inspiration
came from A Scottish children's skipping rope song called Skinny Malinky.

GL238597.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a Lancashire folk song about the greatest pleasure known to man. Fish and chips on a Friday.

If I get my way this week is gonna take me to some weird places

My contribution this week is my settings of a few very short songs from Russell Hoban's Dystopian Sci-Fi masterpiece "Riddley Walker". One of my favourite reads of the 1980s.
The whole novel is written in an English that might have developed 2000 years after a new-clear war has devastated Inland (ex-England) and most of the world's population has returned to an iron age state.

Like reading Cormac McCarthy's punctuation-less works, it takes a little getting into. But like C.Mc, you soon get into the swing of it and barely notice after a chapter or so.

if you don't know the book, I thoroughly recommend it, along with almost everything Hoban wrote.

Note the first songlet describes a spiral path around nine towns in Kent, which have all changed their names in the future Inland. Those of you familiar with Kent, see how many current place names you can guess from their future nomenclatures.

The music I have come up with for these little pieces owes more to the Incredible String Band than hip, cool and hot jive. But I suppose that is Ok, isn't it?
Hope you enjoy my little:

an original song for the season

SLIPPERY LIP BLUES

Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'll be makin' tracks
Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'm makin' tracks
Honey I'm leavin' here, but I'll be home someday

All your jivin', made me flip my wig
And left me slidin', on your slippery lips
Honey I'm ridin' now, but I'll be home someday

All your jivin', made me snap my cap
I'm on the beam, with smoky joe in tack
Ain't got the moxie now, but I'll be home someday

Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'll be makin' tracks
Honey I'm leavin', yeah I'm makin' tracks
Honey I'm leavin' here, but I'll be home someday

Last one from me this week. This was released by Renato Carosone in 1947. It's in Italian, but if the comments on the original on YouTube are to be believed it's in a Neapolitan dialect that other Italians struggle to understand.

I don't speak Italian, much less Neapolitan so apologies in advance for either mispronouncing or skipping over some words.

Anyway. Its about a trend for post-war Neapolitans embracing American culture and leaving their own behind. But very tongue-in-cheek

In Finland, the most famous slang is "stadin slangi" from Helsinki area. Historically, it contains many Swedish and Russian words, but nowadays the influence of English language is the strongest. This slang is not only spoken - the Finns have published comic books and classic poems, translated into "stadin slangi". Here is one example, a Finnish slang version of a Japanese poem by Taira no Kanemori:

I am running behind on hosting duties because I got involved in fixing up a good chart for this song for Silly Dave. It was kind of tricky, so it took me much longer than I anticipated. Thanks for your patience, folks!

I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc.

thank you for this week Christopher.
i think the last one from me.
this, an improvisation on baritone, open D tuning.

I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc.

Well, I've heard that expression and I'm not THAT old ... or maybe I am!!!

I asked several people who are much older than I am if they had ever heard the expression "she/he knows her/his onions," and none of them ever had. So I assume it is very long obsolete, or it was never in common usage in this part of the world. I looked it up in an online slang dictionary, and apparently it means that she knows what she is doing, has a plan, is intelligent, with it, etc. https://youtu.be/Ghzr00-b1sI

I suspect most Brits on here will know it. It's an expression that I've heard and used most of my life. I'll see if I can find out more about its origins. I have a theory but it could be wildly wrong.

Top Bottom