Arthritis - chords vs finger style

Donblanco

Reaction score
So far chords are difficult in normal beginner ways. But some are also painful, As in like old fingers with early arthritis symptoms. So I am wondering what my options are.

1 - magic position that will avoid all pain?
2 - Different size instrument or strings?
3 - electric?
4 - Mandolin or guitar?
5 - non-string instrument?

Or just practice more...

So far chords are difficult in normal beginner ways. But some are also painful, As in like old fingers with early arthritis symptoms. So I am wondering what my options are.

1 - magic position that will avoid all pain?
2 - Different size instrument or strings?
3 - electric?
4 - Mandolin or guitar?
5 - non-string instrument?

Or just practice more...

I'm thinking guitar would make it worse because it's a bigger stretch, otherwise try any others until something suits you. 1 I haven't found yet, but I've definitely tried different sized ukes. On mandolin you'll be pressing on double sets of steel strings which will probably be worse.
Just keep playing at it. Something will work

String tension decreases with the size of the uke. So if using tenor, maybe see if a concert feels better. The tension is also dependent on the thickness of the strings, so maybe some experimenting here will help.

I definitely don’t recommend guitar if you’re having issues with the uke. I had to move from the guitar to uke when playing guitar for more than an hour would kill my playing for days. The necks are too wide, too long, string tension too great, etc etc.

Ok, so guitar won’t reduce pressure required, mandolin either. I did think that a tenor with longer scale might help with the extra fret width. The space available on my wife’s soprano is quite minimal. But if the strings requires more pressure then that kinda offsets the benefit...

Also, forgot to expand on the question in the title. Wouldn’t finger style avoid the problems of certain chords? Seems like it might be something to focus on?

Also, forgot to expand on the question in the title. Wouldn’t finger style avoid the problems of certain chords? Seems like it might be something to focus on?

I have rheumatoid arthritis, predominantly in my hands. On a good day, most of the basic chords are manageable after my fingers have warmed up a bit. I often modify harder chords (especially those that require liberal use of barre chords) by omitting the G string altogether. But you are correct in thinking that playing finger style tends to eliminate the problem of certain chords. I find that I can play, with minimal pain, for extended periods of time when I only have to fret one or two notes at a time, versus fretting a lot of quickly moving chords.

Experiment with your fretting hand position. It may help to change the angle of your wrist, or drop your left elbow a bit. You may also benefit from lower tension strings. I also would recommend avoiding anything larger than a soprano or concert scale uke. As others have mentioned, tenors require more stretch. A certain amount of stretch is a good thing - it helps keep arthritic hands more flexible and agile. But constant pain will thwart your musical growth. The uke is meant to be fun. There are no absolute rules. If a chord or hand position is not working for you, modify it. And give finger style a try. You may find it easier on your fingers and wrist.

Best of luck on your musical journey!
Jan D.

I suffer from arthritis in my fretting hand. I also play guitar, mandolin, banjo and a variety of ukuleles (+ other stuff) ... my most "comfortable" stringed instrument? ... my Antoria "J200 copy", a "jumbo" six-string guitar with steel strings, then my five-string banjo!

For me, it's all about comfortable playing position and my ukuleles, especially the smaller ones, are just too cramped to be comfortable, as much as I like the sound they make ;)

Some woodwind can be enjoyable, but my full-size black-wood flute and my clarinet are getting to be just a little too much of a stretch to be able to play for very long :( Penny whistle and recorder are still playable :)

I'd suggest a concert scale uke, it's the best compromise between being small & having reasonable sustain, with lower tension strings than a tenor, generally, as I use concert strings on my tenor scales.

Other non strung instruments to consider.

Whistle - (Fipple Flute) - any down to a low 'F'
Flute - (Simple System rather than Concert) - preferably an 'F' rather than a low 'D'
Piccolo/Fife - any key down to a 'G'
(Once you go down past G/F the holes become more awkward to cover)

Harmonica - diatonic, tremolo, or chromatic

I don't have arthritis, thankfully, but I do have the above instruments & enjoy them all. :)

First off. I am no teacher or pro. Just an old man with all sorts of hand and fingers, plus other old age problems. 81 now. September 2017 I purchased my first Baritone Ukulele because when I tried to play guitar I had gotten to the point of tears when trying to use my left thumb and do barre chords. I started taking therapy in 2017 and still do. A little expensive but beats surgery and I am playing some now without pain. However, I do not play a standard full size steel string guitar, fretting chords.

I try to stick to 20 inch or 21 inch scale length. Nothing longer. My Aria guitar is 21 inch scale with nylon strings and is nice to play. I also play my Baritone ukulele, which is a 20 inch scale. I have a Tenor ukulele with high g. It is really easy to play when my fingers are acting up. I may change it to low G because I like some high g but prefer low.I purchased a Guitalele that only has a 17 inch scale. I plan to try to get a 20 inch scale Guitalele, maybe.

I mention scale a lot because when you play a longer scale instrument it is much harder to fret the chords. Also Most shorter scale instruments have smaller diameter necks which is nice for short or sore fingers.

Yes, IMO fingerstyle is best with a pick or without. I do both. I also use a capo and play to avoid playing in the keys of F and B and as much as possible I avoid those two chords. I play a few barre chords that are not painful. The first sign of pain cancels out what I was trying and I do something else.

I am sold on drop tuning. Tuning the ukulele or guitar down. Sometimes I tune down as much as 5 half steps. You can do so as long as the strings/notes still sound correct. If they start buzzing then you need to go back up. When you play with others, that is another subject to learn later on how to tune back up to them. Tuning down makes mostly for more mellow sounds and more sustain. It is also easier on the fingers and voice.

I have osteoarthritis in my hands with my fretting hand worst.

I now have problems playing chords on my guitar since my fingers just do not bend like they used to.

I have tenor ukes and some chords are a bit if a stretch, but I did try Soprano and Concert sized ukes before I settled on buying my tenors. With the Soprano and Concert there just is not enough room for me to fret notes cleanly but the tenor is the best fit for me.

So play as many as you can and decide which is best for you.

Finger picking will add an extra dimension so I suggest playing all types.

I have a Risa ST solid electric uke that I play with a pick and treat it as a mini Stratocaster guitar, its fun to play via my mini pedal board and amp.

I suffer from arthritis in my fretting hand. I also play guitar, mandolin, banjo and a variety of ukuleles (+ other stuff) ... my most "comfortable" stringed instrument? ... my Antoria "J200 copy", a "jumbo" six-string guitar with steel strings, then my five-string banjo!

For me, it's all about comfortable playing position and my ukuleles, especially the smaller ones, are just too cramped to be comfortable, as much as I like the sound they make ;)

That is interesting. So for you the playing position of a full guitar offsets the string tension issue. I think I may be leaning toward a semi-acoustic to get the position advantage combined with potential amplification advantage. Plus it would have at least some volume unplugged. Thanks for the info.

I have hand and shoulder issues and take prescription Nabumetone.

Warm-ups are a must - there are several good options on YouTube, but i really like the Mike Lynch ones. Practicing in little sessions every day (under an hour at a time) also helps.

I need straps, even if it is just a ribbon around the body and tied to the headstock.

Sopranos work for me. If playing a tenor or baritone, I hold it nearly upright. I like the string tension with Martin strings and D'Adarrio Titanium strings.

I prefer fingerstyle for myself, but do practice and play in a weekly group that is mostly chord playing.

Last edited:

1 - magic position that will avoid all pain? - there is no magic to it.
2 - Different size instrument or strings? - doubt that. Vinyl string is easier on the fingers, and ukuleles have a smaller neck.
3 - electric? - for what? What kind of instrument?
4 - Mandolin or guitar? - guitar will require more strength and never touched a mandolin but IMHO just guessing I would think vinyl string ukulele is easier on the fingers.
5 - non-string instrument? - that is an option. I was messing with the harmonica and it is a lot of fun. The best achievement is when you figure out how to bend notes.

Or just practice more...maybe. But physical challenges are sometimes telling you something like see a doctor.
My replies are within the quote

What goes around ......

It's been eight months since I started this thread. In the time since then, I basically forgot the great advice offered here and tried to talk myself into an electric semi-hollow. I never managed to get my hands on one to test it out, and of course now that would be almost impossible. But the other day I attempted to estimate some chord positions using my wife's uke.

It did not go well.

And then I found my way back here and read the excellent advice in this thread and so maybe I have things narrowed down to either concert or tenor uke. A friend has a concert, will test hers out shortly!

Hi, Donblanco, I have arthritis in the fingers of both my hands, but my left (fretting hand) has been the most bothersome. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing guitar, but about a year go decided to try the ukulele. I do find that forming chords on the uke is easier for me than the guitar, and that the tenor is more comfortable also, because it requires less extreme bending of the finger joints (which is what hurts) than the soprano I started off on. Also, thinner fluorocarbon strings seem more comfortable than nylgut. A good set up, and nice low, easy action on a better ukulele also helped tremendously. I'm wondering, you take any anti-inflammatory meds? It's the inflammation that does the damage to the joints.

The suggestions to tune down, low tension strings, and fingerpicking sound like good ones. Good luck!

There are many good suggestions and I can only add that having a quality instrument with low action can also help with fretting hand issues.

But I don't understand the reference to fingerpicking if pain is in the fretting hand. Fingerpicking is better contrasted as a melodic style to strumming as accompaniment. There is little difference to the left hand as good picking is still based on basic chord shapes with the addition of transitional notes when moving from one shape to another.

There are many good suggestions and I can only add that having a quality instrument with low action can also help with fretting hand issues.

But I don't understand the reference to fingerpicking if pain is in the fretting hand. Fingerpicking is better contrasted as a melodic style to strumming as accompaniment. There is little difference to the left hand as good picking is still based on basic chord shapes with the addition of transitional notes when moving from one shape to another.

Possibly because strumming is associated with held whole chord shapes, and finger picking one tends to not hold full chords but partial or even single notes to correspond to the string being picked ?

When I pick up an instrument and have difficulty with the F shape (guitar F or Uke C) I finger pick until the stiffness buggers off an I can hold the F shape . Just a thought.

I have a few things to suggest.

First of all, practice. In terms of the left hand, all of us have the tendency to mash the frets. If you closely watch the adepts, you will see they always apply a light touch. Try to get to that level.

Secondly, have you thought of a slide? With a slide you put a minimal of pressure on the frets. That could help with the left hand. Obviously there are some issues with using a slide, but if it was the only way to make music, then it would be acceptable.

I have problems with my fingers and thumb on the fretting hand. For me, following much of the advise in this and other threads has helped. Sometimes I have to bandage my thumb before playing to cushion it, but other than that for me:
1. Getting a low setup is most important
2. Playing soprano makes my hands the happiest. The lower string tension is a plus. I have almost given up on my Tenors because of pain the next morning.
3. Finding strings that are relaxed also helps.
4. Finally, taking time when a position hurts to look for a way of holding the chord with less pain has made a big difference. Sometimes what's considered the best position by others, including experts isn't always the one that hurts the least. I have had to modify many positions from normal, but as they say, there are no ukulele police.

Top Bottom