UU Marketplace

I don't know, Bill1.

I've bought a few ukuleles from the Marketplace, and am glad when others post about their good experiences with a seller, (gives me more confidence to buy), and share their good experiences with a particular ukulele brand - or even the ukulele that is up for sale, since they sometimes end up in the Marketplace a few times as people try them out.

And I'm not sure I see the need to let a seller suffer the consequences of poor presentation if it's simply because they're not tech savy, and aren't sure how to do some things. IMO, there is nothing wrong with some help. We're not all experts in technology or marketing. At least I'm not.

But, I guess we all approach things differently, and those differences make the world a more interesting place.

I don't know, Bill1.

I've bought a few ukuleles from the Marketplace, and am glad when others post about their good experiences with a seller, (gives me more confidence to buy), and share their good experiences with a particular ukulele brand - or even the ukulele that is up for sale, since they sometimes end up in the Marketplace a few times as people try them out.

And I'm not sure I see the need to let a seller suffer the consequences of poor presentation if it's simply because they're not tech savy, and aren't sure how to do some things. IMO, there is nothing wrong with some help. We're not all experts in technology or marketing. At least I'm not.

But, I guess we all approach things differently, and those differences make the world a more interesting place.

I think he meant pm your help, but don't post it as it's distracting. Also, I, personally, would take it with a grain of salt when someone recommends a seller or uke. on the marketplace It's hard to separate friends helping from an honest testimonial and I would wonder more about them.

I think he meant pm your help, but don't post it as it's distracting. Also, I, personally, would take it with a grain of salt when someone recommends a seller or uke. on the marketplace It's hard to separate friends helping from an honest testimonial and I would wonder more about them.

It's easy enough to see if the person has actually bought a ukulele from the person. If they haven't, it's probably just a friend, but if there is a previous Marketplace listing, and that person bought from them, it's more likely genuine.

But, again, we all have our own approaches, and what works for one person might not be right for another.

It's easy enough to see if the person has actually bought a ukulele from the person. If they haven't, it's probably just a friend, but if there is a previous Marketplace listing, and that person bought from them, it's more likely genuine.

But, again, we all have our own approaches, and what works for one person might not be right for another.

How would you check if the person bought from the seller without spending lots of time searching through posts?

I don't know, Bill1.

I agree. If I am buying or selling, I want all the information I can get. I might be selling a uke for $500, and someone could tell me that all other places are offering it for $400. I also like to hear about good experiences from previous owners. Ironically, I don't want to hear about bad experiences because they could be one-off.

Unfortunately, many people post pictures that aren't very informative, but they can see that for themselves, so commenting isn't necessarily helpful. This is a community, after all, so we should help each other when we can.

I have bought and sold over 35 ukulele in the Marketplace and I have always found UU members to be knowlegeable, straightforward, and helpful, and I have been lucky to have had that experience. I always appreciated those who would PM me with advise, questions, and/or general discussions on the ukulele, leaving the thread for selling and not discussion. I have been fortunate in this regard. Sometimes, not often, I see someone hijak a sales thread and talk about their feelings about that make of ukulele with no intention on purchasing. When that happens, I feel so bad for the seller who is just trying to sell their instrument. Often, those comments from the hijacker are often misinformed or off base and totally misleading to others who are reading the thread.

As an example, a while ago, a member was selling an early 1997 KoAloha soprano. It did not have unibracing and musubi sound hole. Also, the inside label was different. Somebody wrote a number of post on the thread saying that it was probably a fake, that the label looked like a forgery that was just printed and placed in there. The crown headstock was a bit different-- and that it was probably two ply. The discussion took off from there and the fact is that it was all wrong. I copied the pictures and discussion and sent them off to Pops and asked him to comment on it. He wrote, "Regarding the eary KoAloha ukulele, it is authentic. When I scrolled dwn to the photo that showed the inside sticker, I immediately recognized it as one of the former stickers that I hand made. Seeing it brings back such fond memories of those early days. If the price is reasonable and you decide to get it, then it could be the most valuable amongst all the KoAloha you have." So, my point in this was that the negative discussion on the thread could have killed all sales. When I received the reply from Pops, I PM'd the seller to tell him of Pops response and I offered to pay his full asking price. He accepted and I now own this early piece of KoAloha history, and with KoAloha's 25th anniversay coming up next summer, I am glad to have it. When I visited the factory a few weeks ago, one just like it was hanging on their wall of fame.

Don't get me wrong, that discussion about it possibly being a fake was a good discussion to have especially since it was so different from the Koaloha's we know, but I think it should have been through PM and not in the thread.

I am a big fan of allowing the thread remain a sales thread. Support posts are fine, but any discussion on the uke should probably left to PM.

Last edited:
I have bought and sold over 35 ukulele in the Marketplace and I have always found UU members to be knowlegeable, straightforward, and helpful, and I have been lucky to have had that experience. I always appreciated those who would PM me with advise, questions, and/or general discussions on the ukulele, leaving the thread for selling and not discussion. I have been fortunate in this regard. Sometimes, not often, I see someone hijak a sales thread and talk about their feelings about that make of ukulele with no intention on purchasing. When that happens, I feel so bad for the seller who is just trying to sell their instrument. Often, those comments from the hijacker are often misinformed or off base and totally misleading to others who are reading the thread.

As an example, a while ago, a member was selling an early 1997 KoAloha soprano. It did not have unibracing and musubi sound hole. Also, the inside label was different. Somebody wrote a number of post on the thread saying that it was probably a fake, that the label looked like a forgery that was just printed and placed in there. The crown headstock was a bit different-- and that it was probably two ply. The discussion took off from there and the fact is that it was all wrong. I copied the pictures and discussion and sent them off to Pops and asked him to comment on it. He wrote, "Regarding the eary KoAloha ukulele, it is authentic. When I scrolled dwn to the photo that showed the inside sticker, I immediately recognized it as one of the former stickers that I hand made. Seeing it brings back such fond memories of those early days. If the price is reasonable and you decide to get it, then it could be the most valuable amongst all the KoAloha you have." So, my point in this was that the negative discussion on the thread could have killed all sales. When I received the reply from Pops, I PM'd the seller to tell him of Pops response and I offered to pay his full asking price. He accepted and I now own this early piece of KoAloha history, and with KoAloha's 25th anniversay coming up next summer, I am glad to have it. When I visited the factory a few weeks ago, one just like it was hanging on their wall of fame.

Don't get me wrong, that discussion about it possibly being a fake was a good discussion to have especially since it was so different from the Koaloha's we know, but I think it should have been through PM and not in the thread.

I am a big fan of allowing the thread remain a sales thread. Support posts are fine, but any discussion on the uke should probably left to PM.

OR, since public posts are beneficial to many, a separate post in Uke Talk should have been started regarding older Koalohas. There is never a reason for discussions not related directly to a sale that wouldn't be better served being in Uke Talk.

I understand that, but OTOH ukuleles like Kinnards used to sell very quickly, (same day, if not in hours), in the UU Marketplace.

There is a Series 2 Kinnard (new, for those who want prefer new, as you suggest could be) on the Kinnard website that has been lingering for a while, (8 or 9 months? Seems like that might be about when I saw it get posted), which I never used to see with Kinnards before, which makes me wonder if there has been a shift in the ukulele market overall.

I know I'm just citing Kinnards here, but we've got others in the UU Marketplace that I would have expected to sell more quickly than they have.

Moon Birds still seem to sell quickly, though.

As do Blackbirds.

Top Bottom