Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UU Marketplace

I was just talking to another forum member about this who has been on here longer than me. He said summer is always bad likely because people are spending money on vacation

I just sold a ks-5 that was up for quite a while and that I thought would sell in a matter of days. I also had to sell it for a fair bit less than I had expected. On the plus side I just bought a Koaloha ksm-00c for probably good bit less than it would have cost at other times of year. The Marketplace is definitely a buyers market right now, but I suspect it will pick up again soon.
    Takumi TC-1M Mahogany Concert
    1940s Martin Mahogany Concert
    Koaloha KSM-00C Koa Soprano
    Bruko Cedar Top Mahogany Soprano (for sale, see Marketplace)

As a long time studio and music shop owner I knew the late July and August blah well. This seasonal cycle of slower sales and lesson attendance has been reality for as long as I can remember. We used to plan our vacations and renovations at this time since there was little lost of business. It's also not a good time to sell used camera gear! Come September and everything goes back to normal.

I thought it was my fault for flooding the market with very vintage Martins. Relieved now and will continue.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Give them time and they will get UAS if they hang around here long enough
    One thing about UAS: there's no end to it.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I found it interesting that I have had/and still have a number of quality ukuelele up for sale on the Market place that have moved slowly or not at all. One particular item (two brand new Pineapple Sunday Prototypes made by Pops -- not the Thailand ones, nor blemished) were put up by me in the Market place as a fundraiser. I got lots of questions but no offers. I put them on Facebook and sold both locally in 15 minutes. I was offered $1500 and $1250 respectively. I have lots of thoughts on this as to why but would be happy to hear other's opinions, as well.
    bfss74GiSF655kB6MkusVw.jpg

I have an additional theory... I think selling high end ukes that are $1,000+ comes with its own set of challenges. At that price point, people either want new, want to pick the custom options themselves, and/or at least want to test drive it first.

People have an easier time taking a gamble on a $250 to $450 uke than a $1,500 to $3,000 uke. Over the years, uke prices have been creeping up. For example, a lot of K brands were sub $1,000 for their tenors and such, now they are closer to $1,350 and up.

Maybe it is just seasonal. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    I have an additional theory... I think selling high end ukes that are $1,000+ comes with its own set of challenges. At that price point, people either want new, want to pick the custom options themselves, and/or at least want to test drive it first.
    I understand that, but OTOH ukuleles like Kinnards used to sell very quickly, (same day, if not in hours), in the UU Marketplace.

There is a Series 2 Kinnard (new, for those who want prefer new, as you suggest could be) on the Kinnard website that has been lingering for a while, (8 or 9 months? Seems like that might be about when I saw it get posted), which I never used to see with Kinnards before, which makes me wonder if there has been a shift in the ukulele market overall.

I know I'm just citing Kinnards here, but we've got others in the UU Marketplace that I would have expected to sell more quickly than they have.

Moon Birds still seem to sell quickly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I understand that, but OTOH ukuleles like Kinnards used to sell very quickly, (same day, if not in hours), in the UU Marketplace.
    They only sell when someone wants to buy them. As I think I've mentioned, I had a couple of ukes for sale on various sites for a couple of months, and then they both sold in the same day.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

There is a Series 2 Kinnard (new, for those who want prefer new, as you suggest could be) on the Kinnard website that has been lingering for a while, (8 or 9 months? Seems like that might be about when I saw it get posted), which I never used to see with Kinnards before, which makes me wonder if there has been a shift in the ukulele market overall.

I know I'm just citing Kinnards here, but we've got others in the UU Marketplace that I would have expected to sell more quickly than they have.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we are hitting a saturation point. I remember 10 years ago, my local ukulele shop (which has a huge selection) maybe had 1-2 KoAlohas, and then a few months later, had 1-2 K'anilea's and then a few months after that had 1-2 Kamakas. Now, they have like 3-4 of each! After I wrote my original post on this thread, I had some contrary thoughts, so maybe it is just a seasonal thing. I don't think we're ever going to be like the guitar enthusiasts though...

Light birds too - that last one sold on less than an hour.

Thread Information