Any Opinions

peanuts56

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing another tenor. Three instruments I'm considering are Klos Carbon Fiber, Koaloha Acacia and one of the Big Island tenors.
Anyone here owned one of these? What do you think?
I also notice that there's no website for the Big Island line anymore. Anyone know why?

I was able to handle a Klos a couple of weeks ago at a shop in Colorado. I liked the tone and the feel of the instrument. As we know this is really subjective. Not really in the market for something new but the durability of the Klos would certainly be something I would think about if buying. I would get a Klos that has the support rods in the neck as well. I have a Koaloha Koa but cannot comment on the Acacia or the Big Island instruments.

I have no idea on the Big Island. I've played the Koaloha and I own a Klos. Outside of personal preference I don't think you go wrong with either. They were both a pleasure to play but sound very different. If you can't find them locally to try out at least listen to some sound clips. Check out the gotaukulele review of the Klos.

There's obviously a tradition vs. modern vibe difference, and the Klos is a conversation starter amongst ukesters.

I'd simply direct you to find a person or a dealer that has the KoAloha in stock, play it, and make a decision from there. Incidentally, there is the Opio acacia series and a KoAloja acacia series these days, at different price points. I'm assuming you mean "Opio." I have 3 Opios...a sapele Tenor (Love it, keep looking for a used concert in that material) and a acacia (love it, but not as much as the sapele or my full Koa). I also have the Opio concert spruce top.

So, as a person with 5 KoAloha made instruments (all bought used or as a second), I'd tell you to play a KoAloha and decide for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be on Oahu in October visiting family and plan on trying a Koaloha while we're there. I don't live anywhere near a Klos dealer. I may try one of the Blackbird Ukes if HMS has a tenor in stock.

At one time, Mim sold the Big Island brand. They were pretty darn nice, that's all I remember.

There were several threads about the KLOS tenor, but it's been a while since I've read anything about them.

The Ko'Aloha ukes are very nice. I've heard the Opio Ko'Aloha acacia tenor, and was quite impressed. I own the Ko'Aloha KTM-00 koa tenor which I like very much. (Ko'Aloha's decision put put everything under that brand is very confusing. I'm afraid it is going to dilute the reputation of the name.)

No experience with the Big Island brand.

I'm considering purchasing another tenor. Three instruments I'm considering are Klos Carbon Fiber, Koaloha Acacia and one of the Big Island tenors.
Anyone here owned one of these? What do you think?
I also notice that there's no website for the Big Island line anymore. Anyone know why?

The Klos is very nice, and it's tough. If you want a good quality tough uke, the Klos is a good choice. It sounds good, too. You can't go wrong with a KoAloha.

If you love Low-G, then KoAloha, to me, is unmatched. I have owned and played most of the top brands and it is the KoAloha that stands out to me for its warmth and soul infusing tones in the tenors. The opio Acacia's are excellent and many choose them because you get the KoAloha build and sound quailty without having to pay top $$ for Koa, however, ukeinfused currently has a gorgeous 2013 KoAloha all Koa tenor for sale in the marketplace for a ridiculoulsly low price of $625 including the case. This is about the price of the Opio Acacia. I would snatch that up, espcially for that price.

Top Bottom