Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typo Errors

"I don't give a rat's .... any more"

Me neither, Miguel. Just yanking your chain!

JC.

I don't mind the typos too much as long as they're not obfuscating the meaning the poster is trying to get across. My brain is used to autocorrecting whatever it reads anyway, if it's not too busy misreading what's actually there in the first place. I have a lot of friends who have some form of dyslexia or for whom English is not their first language, and I know it's hard for them. Besides, my foreign language friends put up with me butchering their native language, so who am I to complain?

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    "I don't give a rat's .... any more"
    It should be, "I don't give a rat's ... anymore" with three dots rather than four because "ass" only has three letters. I just thought I should point this out for the purposes of grammatical clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    It should be, "I don't give a rat's ... anymore" with three dots rather than four because "ass" only has three letters. I just thought I should point this out for the purposes of grammatical clarity.
    Unless he meant 'arse'.

An ass is a type of equine quadruped, or to the British, a foolish or stupid person.

John Colter.

Infinitives, prescriptivists ??...That's the first time I've ever come across those words ...Too late now to find a use for e'm I suppose. I should have stayed at school longer instead of going into the factory.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

You can always learn something on UU and for me that’s been the case with this thread. I’m not sure what I’ll do with either the split infinitive or ellipsis information, but sooner or later all education has value?

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exerc...al/page_28.htm

Split infinitives.

The infinitive of a verb is the form given in the dictionary where no specific subject is indicated. In English it is always characterised by the word 'to':

e.g. to work, to pay, to eat, to find, to inhabit, to bribe...
    A 'split infinitive' occurs when the 'to' is separated from its verb by other words. The most famous split infinitive comes at the beginning of every episode of Star Trek, when the crew's continuing mission is announced as: "to boldly go" (rather than "to go boldly").

The dots thing several posts above might be new to some people too. Here’s one meaning of an ellipsis.

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/ellipses.asp

An ellipsis (plural: ellipses) is a punctuation mark consisting of three dots.

Use an ellipsis when omitting a word, phrase, line, paragraph, or more from a quoted passage. Ellipses save space or remove material that is less relevant. They are useful in getting right to the point without delay or distraction:

Full quotation: "Today, after hours of careful thought, we vetoed the bill."

With ellipsis: "Today … we vetoed the bill."
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-26-2019 at 10:20 PM.

I like to use loads of dots......Don't I ?
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

5,7 and 10 on my fingerboards

It's wonderful to be in such erudite company.
    And thanks, Pete, for reminding us what we should be focusing on.
    Oh dear, I finished the previous sentence with a preposition.
    Miguel

Thread Information