Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Typo Errors

Default Typo Errors

I've ntocied a lot of "Tpyo errros" letaly on tihs froum is it jsut me taht finds them anoynonig ?.... does anbyody ever raed waht they hvae just worte or do a splel cechk.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

If they are using a smartphone, and if not auto-correct errors, or fumbling on the screen of a tiny phone, maybe those posts were made from a proper computer while under the influence of ethanol or other ingested substances (whether medical or recreational use).

Using the tiny keyboard on the touchscreen of my phone is a true test of my patience, both with the key-targets being too small, and the auto-correct fighting me, and sometimes I just let it go as it is with the wrong-but-corrected-words, and hit send due to extreme frustration. I do not use the voice-to-text feature for privacy reasons.

However, if I am using the computer, there is an always-on spell-check that shows red squiggly lines under any word it that it thinks is misspelled, and I try to correct that before hitting send. Maybe lots of people do not know of this feature?

Oddly enough, many computer tech-jargon words will have these red squiggly lines, which in those cases I have to ignore them. So the spell-check is imperfect at best...
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

The spell check with its red squiggly lines is a help, but also an annoyance, to those of us who aspire to use English spelling. American spelling is significantly different and often I'm not sure if I've really made a mistake, or if the computer just wants me to conform to American ways. It's getting so that I use a mixture of both, and am ceasing to care!

John Colter.
    Last edited by ukantor; 08-25-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo!

My sperm check a is reeled good art fisting things I typo in wrong.

On a more serious note, as a gentleman of a certain age I reserve the right to engage "grumpy old git" mode and "post before check", or even "post before think" modes at a moment's notice. I also recognise that others are within their rights to do likewise, even if I am the target of said grumpiness. I can only apologise if I am the cause.
    My friends call me Titch. I have been known to clown.
    Ian Titulaer is my normie name.

https://sites.google.com/site/titchtheclown/

That's OK, Titch - you're Australian. We'll make allowances.

John Colter.

I like my typos...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    I like my typos...
    Peet yuore
    the mian clurpit
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

As an ex-teacher I still find myself mentally correcting everything I read.
    I used to get a bit annoyed about spelling errors and poor grammar and redundant or missing apostrophes and ......and ......
    Now I try to get over these things to make my life a more relaxed place.
    Very soon I shall try to get over 12 year old newsreaders using the wrong words, poor phrasing and mispronouncing words they don't understand. My wife assures me they can't hear, no matter how loudly I correct them.
    Instead I will try to systematically remove the errors in my uke building
    Miguel

"to systematically remove"

Hey, you split an infinitive! That is only allowed on Star Trek.

John Colter.

Thank you, John. I realised as I was typing that I was committing what some would consider a crime against the English language. As a student, I would get points deducted for split infinitives. As a teacher, I warned pupils against splitting the infinitive. As an aspiring luthier, I don't give a rat's .... any more.

Wikipedia states "In the 19th century, some linguistic prescriptivists sought to introduce a prescriptive rule against the split infinitive. The construction is to some extent still the subject of disagreement, but modern English usage guides have dropped the objection to it."

Miguel

Thread Information