Martin Konter Informational Thread

They will be autographs of people with some connection to the uke's journey. We are not looking for any US Presidents, or celebrities - unless Johnny Depp gives it a whirl.

John "Fluff" Colter.

I've read that this uke is made like a vintage Martin . Is it made in Nazareth , and does it have kerfed linings like the original ?

It is made in Nazareth and it is kerfed. In my opinion, this is the closest Martin has gotten to the way they made the vintage Style 1's . Also, they sound vintage as well.

Jim

It is made in Nazareth and it is kerfed. In my opinion, this is the closest Martin has gotten to the way they made the vintage Style 1's . Also, they sound vintage as well.

Jim

I'm glad to hear this. I'm not a fan of the Konter simply because of the looks as I don't like the etched signatures on it, but I would gladly pay the same price for a similar quality uke with plain looks. Here's hoping Martin will bring out a new model with the same quality soon.

If Konter picked up his uke around 1926, and the current model is a replica, it follows that the replica will be as close as possible to being exactly like a uke purchased around 1926. So perhaps there should be no surprise that it is like a vintage style 1?

Not really. We've had so-called replica ukuleles before, which were more tributes than exact copies - the Martin IZ tenor comes to mind. The Konter actually is a very good and precise replica.

I don't know for sure, but have given it some thought. At the time all ink pens had the regular split knib. These devices were still in use when I was a youth, and I don't reckon they would be suitable for writing on a wooden surface. I also remember that it was quite usual, back in the day, to use a type of pencil called an "indelible" pencil. These have a permanent dye mixed in with the graphite, that is activated by contact with water. People would lick the end of the pencil and this resulted in a clear and long lasting mark.
John Colter.

The book only hints at the writing utensils used, but it was probably in pencil (either of the indelible or of the regular flavour) and later retraced in ink by Konter himself. He actually erased some signatures and text to make room for others, so most signatures were rather superficial.

Last edited:
In 2009 I built a Cigar Box Uke, and took it to the annual gathering of the ukulele faithful at Hollesley, Suffolk. I had it signed by as many of the participants as I could, and presented it to Ray Shakeshaft, to commemorate his initiative and hard work in organising the events. Hollesley ran for eleven years (2006-2016).

Ray died in 2015, and the uke is now proudly displayed in his son's home.

Getting the signatures was much easier than back in Konter's day. I gave the uke a couple of coats of spray lacquer in preparation for the signings, with a Sharpie, then afterwards I sealed it with two more coats - sprayed from a rattle can. Ray was delighted with it.

John Colter

Attachments

• Ray's signature uke, July 2009.jpg
    Ray's signature uke, July 2009.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 26
Hey All-

I recently acquired a Konter, and can attest to the outstanding build quality and vintage sound from this ukulele. Weighing in at just 304 grams, it is light as a feather, with impeccable quality all the way around. To my ears, it establishes the vintage Martin Style 1K sound better than any uke I've owned. My demo below does not do it justice, but decided to post a sound bite anyway for those interested. I swapped the strings out to Worth CM's just for comparison, but changed them back as I found they didn't complement this uke. The Martin 605 premium strings are nice, but they have a weird texture similar to Aquila Reds. I may try fremont Blackline hard tension strings next. We'll see.

Overall, I can't really fault this uke. The only issue I found is it doesn't have the "classic" woody Martin smell I am used to, but a rather strong "sweet" smell that is hard to pinpoint. It is not foul by any means, just different than my other Martins. I did some research on the TKL case it came in, (which is very sturdy btw), and low and behold I got my answer! Per TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations = "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."

For those that own Konters...does your uke smell like vanilla, or is it just mine? I'm curious! Regardless, I'm enjoying it immensely!

Cheers!
~Jodie

Demo Standard style:
https://youtu.be/tJ-WIz-yIos

Demo Clawhammer style:
https://youtu.be/Mzx02_QnPhU

Last edited:
In 2009 I built a Cigar Box Uke, and took it to the annual gathering of the ukulele faithful at Hollesley, Suffolk. I had it signed by as many of the participants as I could, and presented it to Ray Shakeshaft, to commemorate his initiative and hard work in organising the events. Hollesley ran for eleven years (2006-2016).

Ray died in 2015, and the uke is now proudly displayed in his son's home.

Getting the signatures was much easier than back in Konter's day. I gave the uke a couple of coats of spray lacquer in preparation for the signings, with a Sharpie, then afterwards I sealed it with two more coats - sprayed from a rattle can. Ray was delighted with it.

John Colter

Very cool John. An awesome gesture. I can imagine how proud Mr Shakeshaft would have been with your gift. The uke looked terrific as well.

Hey All-

I recently acquired a Konter, and can attest to the outstanding build quality and vintage sound from this ukulele. Weighing in at just 304 grams, it is light as a feather, with impeccable quality all the way around. To my ears, it establishes the vintage Martin Style 1K sound better than any uke I've owned. My demo below does not do it justice, but decided to post a sound bite anyway for those interested. I swapped the strings out to Worth CM's just for comparison, but changed them back as I found they didn't complement this uke. The Martin 605 premium strings are nice, but they have a weird texture similar to Aquila Reds. I may try fremont Blackline hard tension strings next. We'll see.

Overall, I can't really fault this uke. The only issue I found is it doesn't have the "classic" woody Martin smell I am used to, but a rather strong "sweet" smell that is hard to pinpoint. It is not foul by any means, just different than my other Martins. I did some research on the TKL case it came in, (which is very sturdy btw), and low and behold I got my answer! Per TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations = "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."

For those that own Konters...does your uke smell like vanilla, or is it just mine? I'm curious! Regardless, I'm enjoying it immensely!

Cheers!
~Jodie

Jodie -

Your Konter sounds fantastic and as you say, my Konter is as close to the vintage Martin sound as I've encountered from a new ukulele. They are light as a feather, built fantastically and play like a dream. The smell from mine is unique as well. I don't know if it's the kerfling or glue used, but it is unique. I'll have to just smell the case to see if that might be the culprit.

Nice playing.

Jim

Hey All-

I recently acquired a Konter, and can attest to the outstanding build quality and vintage sound from this ukulele. Weighing in at just 304 grams, it is light as a feather, with impeccable quality all the way around. To my ears, it establishes the vintage Martin Style 1K sound better than any uke I've owned. My demo below does not do it justice, but decided to post a sound bite anyway for those interested.

Very nice sounding instrument and some really nice playing!

Jodie -

Your Konter sounds fantastic and as you say, my Konter is as close to the vintage Martin sound as I've encountered from a new ukulele. They are light as a feather, built fantastically and play like a dream. The smell from mine is unique as well. I don't know if it's the kerfling or glue used, but it is unique. I'll have to just smell the case to see if that might be the culprit.

Nice playing.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

My demo below does not do it justice, but decided to post a sound bite anyway for those interested.

Regardless, I'm enjoying it immensely!

Cheers!
~Jodie

Demo Standard style:

Demo Clawhammer style:
https://youtu.be/Mzx02_QnPhU

Ok, you’re wrong. Your playing is brilliant. I want to learn how to do that snowdrop clawhammer thing.

Second, I emailed Martin today and received a response. To date, they have only made 51 of these. One is in Nazareth in the museum. One is apparently hanging in a shop in England somewhere. A few people here have them. You are a member of an elite group! It’s funny that the UU accounts for like 10% of all models. I wonder if that holds true across all ukes and manufacturers. (Psst... I just ordered one so I hope to be a member of this elite group too soon).

I thought the 51 number was interesting and wanted to complement Jodie on some nice playing. Cheers!

Ok, you’re wrong. Your playing is brilliant. I want to learn how to do that snowdrop clawhammer thing.

Second, I emailed Martin today and received a response. To date, they have only made 51 of these. One is in Nazareth in the museum. One is apparently hanging in a shop in England somewhere. A few people here have them. You are a member of an elite group! It’s funny that the UU accounts for like 10% of all models. I wonder if that holds true across all ukes and manufacturers. (Psst... I just ordered one so I hope to be a member of this elite group too soon).

I thought the 51 number was interesting and wanted to complement Jodie on some nice playing. Cheers!
There are 6 on reverb

The smell from mine is unique as well. I don't know if it's the kerfling or glue used, but it is unique. I'll have to just smell the case to see if that might be the culprit.

Yes! A wonderful smell - almost like cinnamon.

Last edited:

Aw shucks! Thanks for the complement! Cathy Fink and Aaron Keim both provide wonderful instructional courses on clawhammer technique. I've listed the links below:

https://www.cathymarcy.com/thestore/Categories/lessons-online/
http://quietamericanmusic.com/storestore

Cheers, and Congrats on your Konter order! I am certainly enjoying mine!

~Jodie

Last edited:
Jodie, I also wanted to mention my experience with strings on my Konter. It came with Martin 605's, I was able to take them off and keep them to put on later if I decided they were the best. I tried Martin 600's, Worth Browns and Worth Clears. While they all sounded good, the best vintage sound came from the Martin 605's to my ear. That's what I'll keep on my Konter.

Jim

All this Konter talk did terrible things for my UAS... I found a good price on a used one on Reverb, and one thing led to another, and I have ordered it.

I can't say I regret it, exactly, but Reverb is a dangerous place for my wallet...

Jodie, I also wanted to mention my experience with strings on my Konter. It came with Martin 605's, I was able to take them off and keep them to put on later if I decided they were the best. I tried Martin 600's, Worth Browns and Worth Clears. While they all sounded good, the best vintage sound came from the Martin 605's to my ear. That's what I'll keep on my Konter.

Jim

I did the same thing Jim. Took the 605's off, and tried both worth and living water. Neither did it justice. I am not smitten with the thin A string on the Martin 600's, so didn't even attempt those. The 605's went back on, as I too found them best sounding thus far. I may experiment with fremont blackline hard tension down the road, but not anytime soon.

~Jodie

Last edited:
Top Bottom