Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Konter Informational Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I've been wondering how the original signatures were applied . Did they use a mechanical lead pencil , press down hard and then go over it again ?
    Does anyone know for sure ?
    I bet that's mentioned in the book. If it is, I'll post it.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I don't know for sure, but have given it some thought. At the time all ink pens had the regular split knib. These devices were still in use when I was a youth, and I don't reckon they would be suitable for writing on a wooden surface. I also remember that it was quite usual, back in the day, to use a type of pencil called an "indelible" pencil. These have a permanent dye mixed in with the graphite, that is activated by contact with water. People would lick the end of the pencil and this resulted in a clear and long lasting mark.

It seems likely that most of the original signatures were in indelible pencil, though I can't imagine Calvin Coolidge licking a pencil. Perhaps being President allowed him to delegate the licking to a lowly minion.

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I've been wondering how the original signatures were applied . Did they use a mechanical lead pencil , press down hard and then go over it again ?
    Does anyone know for sure ?
    Pete, according to the book, Konter bought two of these 1926 1K ukuleles in NY just before his expedition. After his pilots untimely death in 1928, he gave one of these to his pilots family, but only after scraping the finish off and signing it. This is also the way he prepared his 1926 1K for the "inked" signatures. He scraped all the factory finish off the ukulele in preparation so the inked signatures would be legible. (reference book: "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed: pages 113-117."

Jim
    Current Ukuleles:
    2007 Martin Style 3K Soprano
    2009 Bean Sprout Banjolele
    2011 Martin Style 2K Soprano
    2017 Martin Style 3K Custom Tenor
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Concert
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Soprano
    2018 Martin Style 3 Centennial #2230085
    2018 Martin 1T IZ Tenor (#576)
    2018 Martin S1
    2018 Martin Konter Replica
    2018 Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple

I still don't get the appeal of Konter..

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
    Pete, according to the book, Konter bought two of these 1926 1K ukuleles in NY just before his expedition. After his pilots untimely death in 1928, he gave one of these to his pilots family, but only after scraping the finish off and signing it. This is also the way he prepared his 1926 1K for the "inked" signatures. He scraped all the factory finish off the ukulele in preparation so the inked signatures would be legible. (reference book: "A Stowaway Ukulele Revealed: pages 113-117."

Jim
    Now it all makes sense . Thank You.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Yes, that does make sense, but I still find it hard to imagine signing on bare wood with an old fashioned split nib. I used to have enough trouble using them on paper!

Perhaps it's just me.

John Colter.

"I still don't get the appeal of Konter.."

I do, but if you don't get it, I can't explain.

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    We are counting on you to find a way. In the meantime you have piqued my interest. I must fins a Konter to smell. Would it be odd if, after locating one and bothering the sales staff to bring it down, I just stuck my nose in it?
    Give it a try and let us know, since I was thinking I'd like to go sniff one somewhere, too. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
    There's been a number of questions about the new Martin Konter replica ukulele. I thought I'd start a thread specifically pertaining to this uke from an owners perspective. We can show close up photos of our Konter ukes and answer questions. I'll start with a few photos of my Konter. I ordered mine as a custom by requesting the PegHed tuners on the G and A string be installed to old way (thread from inside and wind toward the outside of the headstock.) I took delivery on 3/2019.
    Looks like a nice instrument, but I hope you didn't pay too much. Somebody wrote all over it!

Lovely build. I can't wait to hear clips of these

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Give it a try and let us know, since I was thinking I'd like to go sniff one somewhere, too. LOL.
    True Martin fans know the first thing you do when looking at or buying a Martin branded instrument is stick your nose in the sound hole and have a good sniff. It's a well documented phenomenon.

Jim
    Current Ukuleles:
    2007 Martin Style 3K Soprano
    2009 Bean Sprout Banjolele
    2011 Martin Style 2K Soprano
    2017 Martin Style 3K Custom Tenor
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Concert
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Soprano
    2018 Martin Style 3 Centennial #2230085
    2018 Martin 1T IZ Tenor (#576)
    2018 Martin S1
    2018 Martin Konter Replica