Martin Konter Informational Thread

All this Konter talk did terrible things for my UAS... I found a good price on a used one on Reverb, and one thing led to another, and I have ordered it.

I can't say I regret it, exactly, but Reverb is a dangerous place for my wallet...
Wow soo many positive comments!
Does any one who owns a Konter and also a Ken Timms and or vintage martins from 1920s care to chime in?

Well, my "used" Konter arrived, and I couldn't be happier. This thing looks 100% pristine. Not a single mark or blemish anywhere on it. It even arrived in the original shipping box from Martin. I asked the seller, a shop out of Wisconsin, about it, and it was purchased new from them but later returned, in the same box, by the original owner. I guess they didn't bond with the instrument. I know *I* have!

Overly wordy NUD post coming soon, I suspect. For now, time to go play a bit... :)

Well, my "used" Konter arrived, and I couldn't be happier. This thing looks 100% pristine. Not a single mark or blemish anywhere on it. It even arrived in the original shipping box from Martin. I asked the seller, a shop out of Wisconsin, about it, and it was purchased new from them but later returned, in the same box, by the original owner. I guess they didn't bond with the instrument. I know *I* have!

Overly wordy NUD post coming soon, I suspect. For now, time to go play a bit... :)

Does it have a nice smell? Mine smells delicious.

Does it have a nice smell? Mine smells delicious.

It certainly does have a smell, a bit like cinnamon and vanilla. It is odd, but nice. (I, too, sniff all my instruments.)

What I can't quite get over is how well they have replicated that vintage Martin sound. It just doesn't sound like an instrument that was made in the past 50 years. They did it with their Centennial edition ukes too. It arrived last week, but I was out of town all weekend and left the Konter at home. All I could think about the whole time was coming back and playing it again. I can't put it down!

It certainly does have a smell, a bit like cinnamon and vanilla. It is odd, but nice. (I, too, sniff all my instruments.)

What I can't quite get over is how well they have replicated that vintage Martin sound. It just doesn't sound like an instrument that was made in the past 50 years. They did it with their Centennial edition ukes too. It arrived last week, but I was out of town all weekend and left the Konter at home. All I could think about the whole time was coming back and playing it again. I can't put it down!

Congrats on your new Konter! I agree about replicating the vintage sound, and Martin nailed it on this one. My Konter has now become my main player, and sadly my other ukes have been neglected the past couple weeks. Say la vi!

~Jodie

Just picked mine up from the music store in Canada! Opened the box in the store direct from the Martin factory. I had to pre-pay the whole uke when I ordered many months ago but when I got to the music store today, they gave me $150 back because it had went down in price! hehe Picked up a bottle of vodka after that! hehe Should keep me warm with the North Pole Uke.

Too soon to evaluate but it is really light and beautifully engraved. Tuning must settle but intonation is good.

Petey

Just picked mine up from the music store in Canada! Opened the box in the store direct from the Martin factory. I had to pre-pay the whole uke when I ordered many months ago but when I got to the music store today, they gave me $150 back because it had went down in price! hehe Picked up a bottle of vodka after that! hehe Should keep me warm with the North Pole Uke.

Too soon to evaluate but it is really light and beautifully engraved. Tuning must settle but intonation is good.

Petey

Glad it arrived OK and glad you got a hefty discount. :)

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the Konter. I've tried many different strings and the Martin 605's that came on mine was overall the best sounding strings. Very vintage sounding.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)

Jim

Petey

I enjoy your videos and look forward to your video review

Petey

Congrats Petey! I look forward to your thoughts on this new addition to your Martin family.

Cheers!
~Jodie

I've tried many different strings and the Martin 605's that came on mine was overall the best sounding strings. Very vintage sounding.

Jim

I too have played around with different string sets on my Konter ie; Worth clear, brown, living water, and a custom set from Uke Logic. Of course it’s all a matter of opinion, but other strings seem to pale in comparison to the martin 605’s on the Konter. Although i’ll continue to experiment, my experience is that the original set a uke was voiced with is what seems to sound best in most cases.

~Jodie

Here's a comparison of a 20s and a Konter. I have to say, this is the least annoying video by TC that I've ever seen! No sales pitch at all :oops: The Konter sounds good!

Although, he does keep calling it the "Kontner".

I still don't get the appeal of Konter..
Thank you for this comment. I love the concept and there is no denying that the back story of Dick Konter's original uke is irresistible stuff. . . but it's no secret that all the Konter ukes sold by Martin were/ are wonderfully-scented, well built, faithfully-patterned replicas. That said, who am I to opine on this subject when the sound board image on my one and only uke is patterned after one of Robert Armstrong's hilarious cartoons painted on a Kenny Hill-built soprano uke ('Yowl-A-Lele' in this case) in 1971?

Top Bottom