Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: My Kanilea mods

  1. #1

    Default My Kanilea mods

    A few years ago a got a Kanilea KPE-T. It is a very nice instrument but there are some things that has bothered me. While the nut width is relatively wide, the string spacing is not particular wide. The other thing is that the nut, saddle, and bridge pins are made out of plastic. Perhaps it doesn't affect the tone or play-ability of the instrument, but I would prefer having non-synthetic materials. Also, the tuners/machine heads on my model feels a bit "cheap".

    So I decided to make a new nut with wider string spacing (31.5mm outer to outer string instead of 29.5mm) as well as a new bone saddle. I replaced the bridge pins with bone bridge pins made for a guitar, I had to file them down a bit so they would slide down long enough in the bridge.

    I also replaced the machine heads with Gotoh UPTL. The old machine heads left some holes in the head stock which I filled with coloured wax (baowachs), and it turned out OK.

    Attaching some picture for those that are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4 fingers on a hand, 4 strings on a uke, 24 hours in a day, 24 bottles in a case. Coincident??? I think not....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Midlands GB
    Posts
    1,791

    Default

    You've made a really nice job of that. The string spacing looks very natural.

    John Colter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Good idea. The first thing I did when I bought a Kanilea GL-6 earlier this year was make a bone saddle, albeit I haven't gotten around to making a new nut. The stock bridge pins are ebony so I left as is. It shipped with a factory installed pickup—Fishman looks like—but they didn't secure the wiring well. I spent a lot of time messing with the wires before I nixed all the rattles/vibrations. It's a Premium grade instrument too so you'd think they'd attend to small details better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joakiml View Post
    The old machine heads left some holes in the head stock which I filled with coloured wax (baowachs), and it turned out OK.
    That's what's called making the uke your own. You did a good job filling those holes - not an easy thing to do.

    EDIT: I did a search for baowachs, and I got: Did you mean: baywatch
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    That's what's called making the uke your own. You did a good job filling those holes - not an easy thing to do.

    EDIT: I did a search for baowachs, and I got: Did you mean: baywatch
    It's a German thing, no not Hasselhoff

    https://bao-chemie.de/produkte/fuellstoffe.htm
    4 fingers on a hand, 4 strings on a uke, 24 hours in a day, 24 bottles in a case. Coincident??? I think not....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joakiml View Post
    It's a German thing, no not Hasselhoff

    https://bao-chemie.de/produkte/fuellstoffe.htm
    Yes, all the links for it were in German. That was my first clue.

    I found what are probably similar products on Amazon.

    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000KKRI...l_huc_continue
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014X6RX...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WQ47N...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0009H5K...04MC38TD&colid
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •