Traveling To Europe: Want to Buy Uke Over The Pond

Reaction score
My wife and I are headed to Belgium and France for almost a month in a few weeks.

I'm looking for a place to buy a tenor travel priced uke in either Bruges, Belgium or Paris, Fr.
Any leads or "bewares!" would be appreciated.

Since I've (lucky to have) been around the horn so many times, I'm not leaving with a uke....checked or carry on. Just too much trouble.

I'd rather buy something for under $200 over there and pass it as a gift on to another, yet unknown, traveller that shows interest....
....at the end of the trip, of course. Hahahaha!!!

I'd appreciate any directions....

My wife and I are headed to Belgium and France for almost a month in a few weeks.

I'm looking for a place to buy a tenor travel priced uke in either Bruges, Belgium or Paris, Fr.
Any leads or "bewares!" would be appreciated.

Since I've (lucky to have) been around the horn so many times, I'm not leaving with a uke....checked or carry on. Just too much trouble.

I'd rather buy something for under $200 over there and pass it as a gift on to another, yet unknown, traveller that shows interest....
....at the end of the trip, of course. Hahahaha!!!

I'd appreciate any directions....

That sounds like a great idea.

That sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.

I came upon the option as a result of buying, and selling at some real losses, a bunch of "travel guitars". Took me years to figure out that traveling with an axe,
even one designed to be shoved around the nether regions of an airplane, was not in any way satisfying.

I only noodle. No stage work. After over 55 years behind strings, no one would pay to hear me play. And, we're not overladen with extra money.
When we travel in the U.S. and abroad we've figured out that, for us, $150 dinners (or $130 Euro dinners) don't add to the value of the experience.

I don't have fancy ukes. Wish I had the dough for a really nice solid body uke. Not going to happen in the near or distant future. I'm retired now.
All the bucks-up guitars I've been lucky to have owned are gone except one botique small-body made by friends in Santa Cruz.

But, on our U.S. plane and long distance plane/rent-a-car travels, a trip to the local pawn shop and "picking up" the best playing instrument we can get
for the least money is not only fun, but it is usually an experience in itself.

Then, sometimes to the chagrin of my accepting spouse, I get to play the
purchase while on the road.... and then pass it on to someone else before climbing back into that cramped aluminum tube.

Never done it in Europe. I'd like to spread some aloha with my newfound love of ukuleles.

Last edited:
I came upon the option as a result of buying, and selling at some real losses, a bunch of "travel guitars". Took me years to figure out that traveling with an axe,
even one designed to be shoved around the nether regions of an airplane, was not in any way satisfying.

I only noodle. No stage work. After over 55 years behind strings, no one would pay to hear me play. And, we're not overladen with extra money.
When we travel in the U.S. and abroad we've figured out that, for us, $150 dinners (or $130 Euro dinners) don't add to the value of the experience.

I don't have fancy ukes. Wish I had the dough for a really nice solid body uke. Not going to happen in the near or distant future. I'm retired now.
All the bucks-up guitars I've been lucky to have owned are gone except one botique small-body made by friends in Santa Cruz.

But, on our U.S. plane and long distance plane/rent-a-car travels, a trip to the local pawn shop and "picking up" the best playing instrument we can get
for the least money is not only fun, but it is usually an experience in itself.

Then, sometimes to the chagrin of my accepting spouse, I get to play the
purchase while on the road.... and then pass it on to someone else.

Never done it in Europe. I'd like to spread some aloha with my newfound love of ukuleles.

Please post about it after you return.

Will do.

And, again, I'd love to hear any info anyone has about sellers in Paris or Bruges.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I am not sure which ukuleles would be a special European souvenir. Especially at a low price point, where it would probably be made in Asia, regardless of whether you buy in the EU or the US.

Perhaps some brands are more easily available in the EU?
Perhaps Sigma and Cort can't sell their Martin Shaped ukes in the US, due to some license stuff? The make affordable solid wood instruments only a bit over your budget. But I only ever saw them from SUS i the UK, I dont know if they are available in the countries you visit.

Bruko makes solid instruments, build in the EU, but not many music shops have them in stock. I believe that they cost almost twice your budget at around 300 euro.

I totally applaud your plan, but: Everything in your budget will be from China and cost about 20 percent more than in the U.S., due to high taxes. Unlike a guitar, a uke is small enough to fit in any piece of carry-on luggage, so personally I'd buy a travel uke of my choice from the much larger selection in the U.S. and bring that one along. A sturdy case will be enough protection. Good luck with your traveling!

I live in Bruges, so feel free to contact me. We don't have dedicated uke shops in Flanders (there are some just across the border in the Netherlands (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Den Bosch, each 2-4 hours by train or car) but we do have some good music shops carrying a lot of ukuleles. Not all of them are of Asian produced ones, but also f.e. Brüko ones. Rombaux is a very old shop right in the town centre, with a fantastic interior. Keymusic, in a brand new building on the edge of town right where the canal to Damme starts, is a modern shop with some ukuleles. Plus there are some good uke players in town. Same for Ghent, which is just half an hour away, but they have even more luthiers there...

For Paris, there is music shop quarter right across Pigalle, at the foot of Montmartre, in front of the Moulin Rouge, with 2-3 streets of guitar, piano and other shops. Most of them sell ukuleles, some even old Kamakas. In the Galerie Vero Dodat there's the old music shop and repair stall of François Charle, now taken over by Jerome Casanova (only open in the afternoon). There are at least two weekly gatherings of ukulele players, but I have to look them up - adresses, days of the week and the names of the groups have changed in the last year.

What about borrowing an instrument from a UU member and letting them have it back when you move locations / go home? A bit of trust, a bit of a deposit and a bit of postage could see something work out for you. Someone in the club’s in your destinations will have an old Uke / beater that they’re willing to lend.

Good idea. You'll have a uke to play, but you won't have the hassle of flying with it. In that price range, you'll probably find something reasonable in a local store - Kala or Ohana. I'm sure there will be local uke clubs, which you can probably find before you leave. That could be a good way to find someone who would like a new tenor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uku...7j0j69i64l3.5038j0j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I live in Bruges, ...... Rombaux is a very old shop right in the town centre, with a fantastic interior. Keymusic, in a brand new building on the edge of town right where the canal to Damme starts, is a modern shop with some ukuleles. ......

For Paris, there is music shop quarter right across Pigalle, ..... Galerie Vero Dodat there's the old music shop and repair stall of François Charle, .......

Thanks to all. Particularly to ukukekekarcsi....Just the info I was looking for.

All good suggestions. Of course, the idea is to travel light, buy an inexpensive instrument to play without taking up
space on the long flights each way, and have the pleasure of passing it on to another.

When I was 12, my parents gave me a Stella acoustic guitar that started me off. I'm 72 now. Over the better salary-earning
years I've been privileged to give away quite a few guitars that may have, by the act, inspired others to begin to play.

I'd simply like to continue the tradition at a somewhat lower budget that's more befitting my current financial circumstances.
And combining ukes with my now more realistic level of income will allow me to do just that.

So, either packing up a ukulele here in Coarsegold California to take on the road to play, or bringing or retaining the one I
buy after packing it around Belgium and the French Countryside are not the primary issues.

A Europe (Bruges or Paris)- purchased Asian laminate, or anything that plays and can be enjoyed....
....and then be enjoyed again by being given away.... is what the budget is all about.

To ukukekekarcsi:
I'm looking up those shops now. Thank you again.

And, thanks to all who made suggestions.

Music Shop in Bruges

Amazing Forum....Meant to be:

Attachments

• Rombaux.jpg
    Rombaux.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 23
Hi William,

No problem, and you can always lend one of my ukes. I'll send you a PM with my contact (my actual name's Karl, Karcsi is the Hungarian version because I spent some time in Transylvania).

In Ghent, besides the fantastic players Remco 'Ukulelezaza' Houtman-Janssen and Yannick 'Mr. Jaynickel' Van Loo and their multiple bands, there is also the luthiers-couple Jakob De Jaeger and Ondine Cantineau who build lots of high-end ukuleles (lutherie sur mesure). Which wasn't what you were looking for, but I can't help myself.

As for lower end European made ukes, most shops also carry f.e. Cordoba, Lâg, Koki'o and APC. The first three are only designed in Spain, France and Germany respectively, but the latter is even built in Portugal. All are certainly good value for money. Motu ukuleles (France) are even cheaper, but I don't know of any shop carrying them besides the maker himself and they are an acquired taste, being built like polynesian ukuleles.

The two groups in Paris are R.A.OU.L (every monday at 8 pm in the Onze Bar, 83 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud next to the Couronne station, open to all and everyone) and the Cabaret du Uke (every second thursday of the month on a non-moving riverboat turned concert hall, the Peniche Anako in the Bassin de la Vilette, also at 8 pm, also free to all - next appointment is 12 September).

Last edited:
You are not going to find much within your price point that will actually be cheaper in the Eu.

Thomann who ate based in Germany will give you a good idea of what is available

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Ukulele&smcs=c069bd_2727

As will dukeofuke and southernukelelestore both in the UK.

You could always order one prior for delivery to your Hotel.

Bruges is a s--t hole. I know 'cos I've seen the movie.

It's well worth a look if you are not easily offended, and like black comedy.

John Colter.

The whole movie is a stark black comedy, and takes the piss on the town as a tourist trap for the elderly. I like the movie, and there is mass tourism here.

But living in Bruges I can confirm that the town is in reality quite different and much nicer, if you take more than half a day and dare to leave the four streets of chocolate, lace, beer and t-shirt shops. There's abbeys, courtyards, hidden parcs, rooftop views, four windmills, a cow pasture, around 120 swans, canals and all kinds of bridges and passageways to discover, all within the small town center.

You're welcome any time, John!

I'd love to visit Bruges. Seeing the film made me understand what a gem of a place it must be.

Pity it's such a s--t hole!:D

John Colter.

Top Bottom