Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traveling To Europe: Want to Buy Uke Over The Pond

Good idea. You'll have a uke to play, but you won't have the hassle of flying with it. In that price range, you'll probably find something reasonable in a local store - Kala or Ohana. I'm sure there will be local uke clubs, which you can probably find before you leave. That could be a good way to find someone who would like a new tenor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ukul...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelekarcsi View Post
    I live in Bruges, ...... Rombaux is a very old shop right in the town centre, with a fantastic interior. Keymusic, in a brand new building on the edge of town right where the canal to Damme starts, is a modern shop with some ukuleles. ......

For Paris, there is music shop quarter right across Pigalle, ..... Galerie Vero Dodat there's the old music shop and repair stall of François Charle, .......
    Thanks to all. Particularly to ukukekekarcsi....Just the info I was looking for.

All good suggestions. Of course, the idea is to travel light, buy an inexpensive instrument to play without taking up
    space on the long flights each way, and have the pleasure of passing it on to another.

When I was 12, my parents gave me a Stella acoustic guitar that started me off. I'm 72 now. Over the better salary-earning
    years I've been privileged to give away quite a few guitars that may have, by the act, inspired others to begin to play.

I'd simply like to continue the tradition at a somewhat lower budget that's more befitting my current financial circumstances.
    And combining ukes with my now more realistic level of income will allow me to do just that.

So, either packing up a ukulele here in Coarsegold California to take on the road to play, or bringing or retaining the one I
    buy after packing it around Belgium and the French Countryside are not the primary issues.

A Europe (Bruges or Paris)- purchased Asian laminate, or anything that plays and can be enjoyed....
    ....and then be enjoyed again by being given away.... is what the budget is all about.

To ukukekekarcsi:
    I'm looking up those shops now. Thank you again.

And, thanks to all who made suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Good idea. You'll have a uke to play, but you won't have the hassle of flying with it. In that price range, you'll probably find something reasonable in a local store - Kala or Ohana. I'm sure there will be local uke clubs, which you can probably find before you leave. That could be a good way to find someone who would like a new tenor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ukul...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thanks, Jerry. I'll check this out.

Default Music Shop in Bruges

Amazing Forum....Meant to be:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi William,

No problem, and you can always lend one of my ukes. I'll send you a PM with my contact (my actual name's Karl, Karcsi is the Hungarian version because I spent some time in Transylvania).

In Ghent, besides the fantastic players Remco 'Ukulelezaza' Houtman-Janssen and Yannick 'Mr. Jaynickel' Van Loo and their multiple bands, there is also the luthiers-couple Jakob De Jaeger and Ondine Cantineau who build lots of high-end ukuleles (lutherie sur mesure). Which wasn't what you were looking for, but I can't help myself.

As for lower end European made ukes, most shops also carry f.e. Cordoba, Lâg, Koki'o and APC. The first three are only designed in Spain, France and Germany respectively, but the latter is even built in Portugal. All are certainly good value for money. Motu ukuleles (France) are even cheaper, but I don't know of any shop carrying them besides the maker himself and they are an acquired taste, being built like polynesian ukuleles.

The two groups in Paris are R.A.OU.L (every monday at 8 pm in the Onze Bar, 83 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud next to the Couronne station, open to all and everyone) and the Cabaret du Uke (every second thursday of the month on a non-moving riverboat turned concert hall, the Peniche Anako in the Bassin de la Vilette, also at 8 pm, also free to all - next appointment is 12 September).
    Last edited by ukulelekarcsi; 08-26-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: wrong name, shame on me!

"In Bruges" is one of the movies in my list on Netflix. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

You are not going to find much within your price point that will actually be cheaper in the Eu.

Thomann who ate based in Germany will give you a good idea of what is available

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir...cs=c069bd_2727

As will dukeofuke and southernukelelestore both in the UK.

You could always order one prior for delivery to your Hotel.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Bruges is a s--t hole. I know 'cos I've seen the movie.

It's well worth a look if you are not easily offended, and like black comedy.

John Colter.

The whole movie is a stark black comedy, and takes the piss on the town as a tourist trap for the elderly. I like the movie, and there is mass tourism here.

But living in Bruges I can confirm that the town is in reality quite different and much nicer, if you take more than half a day and dare to leave the four streets of chocolate, lace, beer and t-shirt shops. There's abbeys, courtyards, hidden parcs, rooftop views, four windmills, a cow pasture, around 120 swans, canals and all kinds of bridges and passageways to discover, all within the small town center.

You're welcome any time, John!

I'd love to visit Bruges. Seeing the film made me understand what a gem of a place it must be.

Pity it's such a s--t hole!

John Colter.

Thread Information