Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traveling To Europe: Want to Buy Uke Over The Pond

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I'd love to visit Bruges. Seeing the film made me understand what a gem of a place it must be.

Pity it's such a s--t hole!

John Colter.
    Bruges was a great City with fantastic architecture, history, museums, galleries, chocolate.

Certainly nothing negative to say about the centre of the City which is where we were during our visit.

Watch The White Queen series on the War of the Roses in the UK and Bruges was used fir much of the location work for the courtyard and inside the medieval rooms of the building, which during our visit had a walking Shakesperian play being performed which was free to watch and tag along with as the storyline evolved.

Sh—thole, no.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I watched about thirty minutes of the movie, but I had to switch to something else. I was falling asleep.

I'll watch some more tonight.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Col50 View Post
    Bruges was a great City with fantastic architecture, history, museums, galleries, chocolate.

Certainly nothing negative to say about the centre of the City which is where we were during our visit.

Watch The White Queen series on the War of the Roses in the UK and Bruges was used fir much of the location work for the courtyard
    and inside the medieval rooms of the building, which during our visit had a walking Shakesperian play being performed which was free
    to watch and tag along with as the storyline evolved.

Sh—thole, no.
    Agreed. This will be our fourth trip that includes Bruges. We spend days. Not hours.

I admit to being old. I admit to being a tourist. I admit to partaking of the "tourist" attractions.
    But we are good travelers. We spend real time doing real things, as well.

Going "deeper" into a city like Bruges is oh, so much more rewarding than a visit to a beach in
    Orange County, CA. Or Disneyland, or strolling along the "Walk of Stars".

Especially when balanced against going to the beaches of Normandy, enjoying the history
    and Architecture of Bruges, or a long walk in the Belgian or French or Italian countryside.

Then again, that's just us. Each has his or her own perspective on what is a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelekarcsi View Post
    In Ghent, besides the fantastic players Remco 'Ukulelezaza' Houtman-Janssen and Yannick 'Mr. Jaynickel' Van Loo and their multiple bands, there is also the luthiers-couple Jakob De Jaeger and Ondine Cantineau who build lots of high-end ukuleles (lutherie sur mesure). Which wasn't what you were looking for, but I can't help myself.
    Just saw your advice, I will try to have a look when I am back in Gent.
    Thanks for those tips!

We're back.

It didn't shake out as expected.

Operating on several great tips from Member ukulelekarcsi, I visited Key Music in Bruges fully intending to purchase a cheapo, play it while on the trip,
    and leave it for the "aloha" for the next owner.

It was raining and still beautiful in Bruges. ukulelekarsci and I couldn't get our schedules together to meet personally. But we were able to communicate
    "electronically" and make a tentative date for either of our trips next time.

After sorting through the few tenor ukes, I found a Morgan that had a spruce top and solid mahogany body that was priced to "fit the bill". My wife was with
    me and offered to, "make me a present of the uke to remember the Bruges trip". That offer made it impossible to pass it on. And, consequently, I ended up
    less altruistic and more a little piggie.

After rainy nights in Bruges, Paris, Beaune and Reims...then, finally back in Brussels, I was glad I was forced to be selfish. I bonded with the Tenor. I came home last night
    and changed the strings after performing some basic lutherie...

Leveled, polished and shaped the frets (not in that order), shaved down the sharp nut, lowered the bridge, and switched out the bright chrome strap buttons for something
    a little more subdued. Then, I put on a set of Aquilla Reds with a low "G".

Note: Soprano and Concerts rule on that side of the pond. AND, no one gets the Low "G". No low G strings available. In any town I visited. One very nice guy in Bruges told me,
    "Honestly...and it shouldn't be this way.... here in Europe most people really consider ukuleles toys....". In Beaune, my lousy French had me drawing a nut and set of strings out
    in order to describe a "Low G". Anyone know how to say "Wound" in French? He sold ukes...of a sort....but had no idea what a low G was....

We couldn't connect in Paris with any ukulele shops, players, or get a uke fix of any kind. Bad weather, jivey, electric vibe this trip, punctuated with a killing of people in the Police
    Headquarters, my wife (who is basically pretty street-savvy) getting ripped off in the Metro, etc. So, this little Chinese Morgan and I made our own "high G" way through Belgium and France.

And live to talk about it.

I'll pass it on to a deserving player over here....some time soon. But not too soon!!!!

Morgan on Rue Cler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by William Keener View Post

... here in Europe most people really consider ukuleles toys..."
    How unfortunate for them.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ukulelekarcsi View Post
    The whole movie is a stark black comedy, and takes the piss on the town as a tourist trap for the elderly. I like the movie, and there is mass tourism here.

But living in Bruges I can confirm that the town is in reality quite different and much nicer, if you take more than half a day and dare to leave the four streets of chocolate, lace, beer and t-shirt shops. There's abbeys, courtyards, hidden parcs, rooftop views, four windmills, a cow pasture, around 120 swans, canals and all kinds of bridges and passageways to discover, all within the small town center.

You're welcome any time, John!
    Sounds amazing. Maybe some day.

I came upon the option as a result of buying, and selling at some real losses, a bunch of "travel guitars". Took me years to figure out that traveling with an axe,
    even one designed to be shoved around the nether regions of an airplane, was not in any way satisfying.

I only noodle. No stage work. After over 55 years behind strings, no one would pay to hear me play. And, we're not overladen with extra money.
    When we travel in the U.S. and abroad we've figured out that, for us, $150 dinners (or $130 Euro dinners) don't add to the value of the experience.

Thread Information