The NEW KoAlohas

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
What do y’all think about the changes to the KoAlohas? The Koa collection now has a wider bout and it’s joined at the 14th instead of 15th fret. Do you think this will substantively change the sound or tone of the KoAlohas? Anyone tempted to replace their current KoAloha ukes? I’m asking this for a friend...

Wow, that really does sound beautiful (and of course, it's being played by a great player). I would love to have me one of those....

For all of you KoAloha owners that are now going to rid yourself of those old crummy tenors to buy a new one, I nominate myself to become the world’s first KoAloha rescue home for all of those unwanted instruments...

:)

Last edited:
For all of you KoAloha owners that are now going to rid yourself of those old crummy tenors to buy a new one, I nominate myself to become the world’s first KoAloha recuse home for all of those unwanted instruments...

You have a selfless heart of gold.

Does anyone know why Koalohas are not being played by the pros? All I see are kamakas and kanileas.

For all of you KoAloha owners that are now going to rid yourself of those old crummy tenors to buy a new one, I nominate myself to become the world’s first KoAloha rescue home for all of those unwanted instruments...

Funny, but I was just thinking that. Owners will be dumping their old-fashioned KoAlohas for the new, improved models. :D I'll stick with what I have.

Does anyone know why Koalohas are not being played by the pros? All I see are kamakas and kanileas.

Daniel Ho played Koaloha, although now he is associated with Romero Creations.In the grand scheme of things he is a bigger pro than all the other Kamaka, Kanilea sponsored artists. Nothing against the others but he has won something like 6 Grammy’s.........enough said.

Last edited:
Daniel Ho played Koaloha, although now he is associated with Romero Creations.In the grand scheme of things he is a bigger pro than all the other Kamaka, Kanilea sponsored artists. Nothing against the others but he has won something like 6 Grammy’s.........enough said.

Daniel Ho is the only person won Grammy from a ukulele album!

Talent is talent. It doesnt matter so much what they play on; it will sound good. Anyone know what kind of piano Oscar Peterson played on? Exactly. The endorsements are all industry.

What do y’all think about the changes to the KoAlohas? The Koa collection now has a wider bout and it’s joined at the 14th instead of 15th fret. Do you think this will substantively change the sound or tone of the KoAlohas? Anyone tempted to replace their current KoAloha ukes? I’m asking this for a friend...

I finally had a chance to look at one of the videos. It would have been helpful if they had actually showed the old and new model side by side, but from what I could see the change in shape was not very noticeable. The main impact on sound is probably the changed bridge position which was noticeable. I did not find the sound comparisons very straightforward, as one could see the players slightly change hand positions which may have contributed more to the differences in tone than the ukes. However. What stood out most memorable in the sound sample was the huge amount of ringing overtones that were produced when it was played away from the bridge close to where the neck joins the body.

I really like the tone on the new KoAlohas ... the previous models were great as well ... but the newer tones seem to sing, and chime very nicely!

I wonder if they're going to make the same changes to the concerts and sopranos?????

Funny, but I was just thinking that. Owners will be dumping their old-fashioned KoAlohas for the new, improved models. :D I'll stick with what I have.

So will I. Even more so, as it seems they abandoned the model I own, the KSM-T2, the soprano body model with the tenor neck. It‘s a pity, it‘s a wonderful instrument, with a marvelous sound an fantastic playability, mostly due to the tenor neck. And there aren‘t many builders who offer this specific size.
I am not much of a tenor guy, as I prefer the percussive sound of the smaller ukulele sizes. But I really enjoy the comfort of the longer fretboard/the wider frets. So I‘ll definitely keep mine.

Top Bottom