Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The NEW KoAlohas

Quote Originally Posted by rahat5810 View Post
    Does anyone know why Koalohas are not being played by the pros? All I see are kamakas and kanileas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dgn...&index=49&t=0s

Quote Originally Posted by UkeBock View Post
    Also, the headstock is longer on the new version(distance between the nut and the tuning pegs is greater than original version). Wonder how that effects the sound/tension?
    And fitting into a hard case.

I'm surprised they kept the same model number. Now, KTM-00 can mean two different things.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rahat5810 View Post
    Does anyone know why Koalohas are not being played by the pros? All I see are kamakas and kanileas.
    My guess is that Ko'Aloha doesn't sponsor as many pro players. Their marketing plans may go a different route. Or, they may not be as aggressive at signing "name" players.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 09-03-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    My guess is that Ko'Aloha doesn't sponsor as many pro players. Their marketing plans may go a different route. Or, they may not be as aggressive at signing "name" players.
    Actually, Ken, KoAloha has a pretty good number of sponsored artists but they are mostly known in Hawaii. KoAloha started a new youtube channel and have been recording their artists and will be puttin the videos out gradually. I know that Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta jr, Yoza, Keale, Terry Carter, Neil Chin, and Jeff Peterson are sponsored artists. There are probably others, too.

So I received my 'new version' KTM-00 from HMS. While I never played the old KTM-00(or any high end uke for that matter), it sounds beautiful. My other main 'good' uke is a Kala all solid acacia tenor to compare it to. The Koaloha had some intonnation issues, but HMS is graciously taking care of me. Andrew called me personally to take care of it, they really have top notch customer service.

Anyway, the sound of this thing is a game changer for me. I loved my Kala, but until I played the Koaloha for the 1st time, I didn't know what the ukulele as an instrument could sound like(in person anyway). It has a deep, lush low end, while still having a gorgeous/ shimmery high end. And something extra sweet happening in the mids. Its got volume, dynamics and sweetness. The low G sounded SOO good, but I switched to a high G, because most of the songs I've learned in my short time playing ukulele just didn't sound right with low G. I'm sure I'll revisit low G in the near future. If I can be nit picky, I actually like the neck shape of the Kala better(thicker front to back/ more rounded C shape) rather than the flatter neck shape of the Koaloha, but that's personal preference and I got used to it quick and don't even notice it. Overall, I'm REALLY happy with this new KTM-00. Can't imagine a better sounding uke.
    Ukes:
    Kala KA-SA-T (Solid Acacia Tenor)
    Cordoba 15 CM(Mahogany Concert)
    Pono MT-PC(Solid Mahogany Tenor)

Also, just for reference. I play mostly finger picking style, and the KTM-00 responds beautifully to dynamics. And its no slouch for strumming style either. Plenty loud when you want it to be.
    Ukes:

Quote Originally Posted by UkeBock View Post
    Anyway, the sound of this thing is a game changer for me. I loved my Kala, but until I played the Koaloha for the 1st time, I didn't know what the ukulele as an instrument could sound like(in person anyway). It has a deep, lush low end, while still having a gorgeous/ shimmery high end. And something extra sweet happening in the mids. Its got volume, dynamics and sweetness. The low G sounded SOO good, but I switched to a high G, because most of the songs I've learned in my short time playing ukulele just didn't sound right with low G. I'm sure I'll revisit low G in the near future
    It's nice to hear about your upgrading experience and I still have fond memory of playing my first "good" uke. As for the low-G, now that you have two ukes it is a very good justification to keep two ukes if you have one with re-entrant and the other with linear tuning. So keep the KoAloha with the high G if that's what you use for most songs, and put the low G on the Kala for the songs that are better with that sound.

Yea. There's a depth of sound that's hard to describe unless you've played a really nice uke. I even tried flourocarbon strings on my Kala and went back to the Aquilas because I thought they sounded and felt better on that particular uke. But now the Koaloha makes the Kala sound like a toy. But I'll definitely be putting a low G on the Kala to experiment with the low G universe. And I'm sure eventually the low G will go on the KTM.
    Ukes:

congrats! Would love to see a pic!
    John

Ill take one later on for sure. It does look great, BUT not as good as the super high quality pics on HMS website haha. Funny how 'high def' pictures/video often look better than real life. I had trouble deciding which specific one I wanted to buy, analyzing the wood grain of each listing on their website for over a week. And I when I got it, I was like oh, some details I expected to be highly visible, were just kind of 'muted' in real life. This is not to say that its not beautiful, because it is a gorgeous instrument and I'm so grateful that it exists and that I own it. Hope that makes sense. Either way, this thing makes me really happy every time I get to play it.
    Ukes:

Thread Information