Tenor Ukulele for beginner - Under 150$

pieri70

Reaction score
Hello everybody
this is my first post on this forum, coming from NE Italy.
I'm trying to learn to play ukulele by myself with a Makala dolphin soprano uke.
I'll like to buy something a little bigger, a concert or better a tenor ukulele but I don't want to pay a lot for it, lets say max 150$.
You know I'm at the beginning, I'm going to take some private lessons douring fall, but I don't know how long this passion will last..

That said, what brand/model will you suggest?

I saw Ibanez models
UEWT5-OPN tenor (https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/uewt5_03.html)
or
UEW5-OPN concert (https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/uew5_04.html)

Do you recommend (not) to buy them?

Thanks
Pietro

I was happy with Kala & Ohana, when I started out, they are good reliable ukes, I also found Baton Rouge ukes to be good too. If you can manage to get a solid wood top uke, I think you will be satisfied for quite some time to come. :music:

Thank you Croaky Keith, I'll take a look at these ones.
Bie

I'm far from an expert, but I just went through a similar search with similar criteria so maybe I can be of some help.

This site has an interesting evaluation, and the Alvarez is a nice instrument:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ukulele-for-beginners/

I've been reading a lot about learning and practicing, and over and over I hear that the most effective practice is to grab a few minutes here and there instead of having one big session a day. With that in mind, I think that a "take anywhere" uke would be very valuable for a beginner (but maybe not so much for you since you have a dolphin already):
https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/ukuleles/products/outdoor-ukulele-tenor

Enya ukuleles get a lot of praise as a good instrument at a low price, and are readily available from Amazon.

Finally, I've been browsing the marketplace section here a little and have seen some used instruments that seem to be much better deals than purchasing new -- if you are willing to wait it out for what you want.

Best of luck!

I suggest thta you try to find sone online video reviews of those ukuleles.
I have also been ibtrigued by the look of those Ibanez ukes, with their cutaway and radiused fretboard. But it seems like there are hardly any reviews online.

You will find a lot of reviews on "gotaukulele" .
He only reviewed a cheaper Ibanez model, not this one, but the one he looked at didnt score too high.
You will find large selections of ukuleles at Southern Ukulele Store and World of Ukes (hurry before brexit).

I just got a Kmise model A9119 It is a travel model tenor. The wood and the trim are very nicely done. The strings are Aquila white reentrant. The all silver tuners have small grips that fit the look of the ukulele and do not stick out like ears on an elephant. It is spot on for being in tune to the 14th fret on all 4 strings. It has strap buttons already installed on the middle of the bottom end and in a good position on the underside (A string) of the neck 2 frets from the neck joining the body. The sound is loud and clear even though the body is about 1 1/2inches thinner than a conventional model.

My top of the line uke is a grade 4A Oregon Myrtle tenor with a price tag of $4500.00, and I have several other custom built ukuleles, and I am surprised how this $60.00 freight paid sounds!

There are many choices but a Kala KA-T would have my vote by a considerable margin.

Kala are well made and consistent in quality, your Makala is a Kala company.

I see someone suggests Enya, well the one I received had a bent and twisted neck so it got returned.

Whatever you choose do have a really good look over it to ensure no production issues are present.

I would also suggest that you buy at a local Music Shop if it is possible even if it costs a few dollars more. Music Stores are a gold mine of help and resources and supporting them will help maintain their business. I am lucky I have seven Music Stores within a twenty minute drive one of which has a great uke section.

I usually recommend one of the trusted uke specialty shops like theukulelesite or mims ukuleles. They are valuable resources. Their reputations show them as valuable consultants as much as dealers.They know the market and have high standards. There are others such as Uke Republic.

I don’t know about the shipping costs but they will.

Theukulelesite.com has high quality video demos of just about every uke they sell. As far as I’ve found they are the richest single source of all things ukulele. Even if you buy somewhere else you will do so from a bigger knowledge base. Worth a listen with your best audio stuff.

None of that is to say you’ve not already been given some excellent advice.

Thank you jeffelele
Theukulelesite.com ships to Italy but it's 67$ with FedEx economy and 111$ with DHL..

:(

If it has good sound/tone & you like how it plays, it's got to be a contender for your money, & being local, if any thing goes wrong, you can take it back to the shop.

Edit: I think a concert scale is the best size to start out with.

Ok,
Here is a sound test @4.20 min

The guy playing said that sound is a little dark..
It doesn't seem to me

Not too far from where I live. Nice pieces of wood...

Top Bottom