Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strum Marks

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Um, bragging rights?
    A pretty inane concept. Of course I would never purchase a Bentley or Vuitton either. But at least people who purchase those use them daily. If someone needs to brag, there must not be much else impressive about them. Buy what you love, and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Yes, Willie Nelson's guitar is always the example. When I look at that guitar though, you know what I see? I see a lot of practice. I don't necessarily see a guitar with holes worn in it, I see a guy who spends a lot of time playing his guitar. I'll bet he isn't spending time looking for a new one.
    He reportedly owns a brand new one just like it, but it's said he never plays it. It's a backup guitar.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I don't see strum marks on my two players. They do both have little marks where my pinky finger dug in while picking. Now, I try not to rest my pinky, but it still happens.
    I'm not worried about the marks, these two ain't getting sold.
    The last uke I bought had some finish worn off the top after only a months play. I don't know how I did it. It didn't affect the sale.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

My Martin T1k has a soft finish that is easily marked with a fingernail. It bothered me a little but then I decided I didn't care. Now the finish has even worn off in spots above and below the strum area. Looking roadworn. Maybe in 20 years it will look like Trigger.

My Martin S1, similar barely there finish is scarred all over but it’s a keeper.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    He reportedly owns a brand new one just like it, but it's said he never plays it. It's a backup guitar.
    Willy's guitar is a hybrid. It started out as a Baldwin, but when it got stepped on by a drunk, it was beyond repair. The guitar shop suggested taking the unique pickup off the Baldwin and putting it on a new Martin N-20, and that became Trigger. This video explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQuJTc5yFY&t=18s
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Willy's guitar is a hybrid. It started out as a Baldwin, but when it got stepped on by a drunk, it was beyond repair. The guitar shop suggested taking the unique pickup off the Baldwin and putting it on a new Martin N-20, and that became Trigger. This video explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQuJTc5yFY&t=18s
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Strum marks seem to appear magically, but they're really no big deal.
    I've only bought used instruments that were in near-pristine condition. I only fingerpick, so I don't put any strum marks on them at all.

Ironically, the only one that had very light strum marks on it was the mahogany Tiny Tenor you sold me , but like you say, it was "no big deal", and also, notice the operative words, "had" and "was". It no longer has the marks, as I was able to buff them out. I guess the fact that I did so shows that I'm somewhat anal, as well as being a bit of a snob about not strumming.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

There's nothing snobbish about not strumming!

Thanks Jerry, for the info about Trigger. I have never heard of a Baldwin guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    It no longer has the marks, as I was able to buff them out.
    How did you buff them out? What uke, with what kind of finish?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information