What’s the average age here at UU Poll

What’s your age?

• Below 10 (there shouldn’t be any replying, but you never know)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 to 19 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 20 to 29 years old

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 30 to 39 years old

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 40 to 49 years old

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • 50 to 59 years old

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • 60 to 69 years old

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • 70 to 79 years old

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • 80 to 89 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 90 and beyond!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

AustinHing

Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm feeling a bit lonely!

John Colter.

Wow! 60% are 60 or older... at least at this point. Forget about collecting vintage ukes, this place collects vintage ukers... lol. Of which I am one.

John

Chronologically I'll be 70 next month, emotionally I still think I'm 30. My high school class, Fairfax High '67 in Los Angeles, for which I was the head of our class reunion committee for 40 years that I stepped down from 10 years ago, just had me send out a 70 year group birthday brunch email invitation (I still maintain the database with 461 email addresses) at a local restaurant for $35. Looking forward to it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hey! I'm no longer the only one in the upper age bracket! Is that you, KT?

Speak up - I can't hear you!

John Colter.

Chronologically I'll be 70 next month, emotionally I still think I'm 30. My high school class, Fairfax High '67 in Los Angeles, for which I was the head of our class reunion committee for 40 years that I stepped down from 10 years ago, just had me send out a 70 year group birthday brunch email invitation (I still maintain the database with 461 email addresses) at a local restaurant for $35. Looking forward to it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I feel the same way. Age is just a number. It's your attitude that means so much more.

Attitude - YEAH! I've always been told I've got a lot of that.

John Colter.

It's a retirement thing.... :music::cheers:

:smileybounce:

That says it all. I retired 3 years ago at 60. I taught band, string and some classroom music. My main instrument was trumpet and I haven't played too much the last 10-15 years. I always thought I'd start practicing trumpet again on a regular basis after retiring.
Now we have the time to travel whenever we want instead of summer break. I take my Kamaka with me wherever we go. I can't do that with trumpet. I realized I just can't be bothered with trumpet any more. Two very nice professional horns are just sitting there. Each instrument is worth around 2 grand. I'm considering selling them and putting the money towards a new tenor.

I feel the same way. Age is just a number. It's your attitude that means so much more.

The one exception is when one is required to subject themselves to medical procedures reserved for those who have obtained a certain age.
It is not the procedure itself, nor the fasting, but the preparation - consumption of the materials.
Other than that, each day I awake being glad that I awoke.

And I am especially glad I’m awoke 30 minutes ago. Three years until I once again expose my backside to the medical professionals.

Last edited:
My last year for the 60 to 69 group. I can not say that to me age is just a number. I hired a contactor to break out my sidewalk and pour a new one. Just thirty feet of concrete. I would have done it myself ten years ago, but physically it is too much to tackle. No sour grapes though, I'm still healthy and in pretty good shape for a old man. My sixties have been the best years of my life so far, and playing the ukulele is part of that.

Last edited:
Looks like we're Fogey heavy.

It's the same as some of the camera forums I go to - most of the folk are retired and comfortable baby boomers.

It's the same as some of the camera forums I go to - most of the folk are retired and comfortable baby boomers.

My daughter tells me that only old people do internet forums anymore. Maybe there is something to that.

I am in the majority age group here as well. You know what...........20 years ago when my sons were 10 and 13 years old I could not afford the instrument I own now nor would I have had the free time to play as much as I do. I am 61 going on 26, lucky to have my health and be in good shape physically and mentally. Well the mentally part might be up for discussion if you talk to my wife :p

I am in the majority age group here as well. You know what...........20 years ago when my sons were 10 and 13 years old I could not afford the instrument I own now nor would I have had the free time to play as much as I do. I am 61 going on 26, lucky to have my health and be in good shape physically and mentally. Well the mentally part might be up for discussion if you talk to my wife :p

I am in the 50 - 59 group, cannot really afford any of the instruments I have but have no children :D

Top Bottom