What’s the average age here at UU Poll

What’s your age?

• Below 10 (there shouldn’t be any replying, but you never know)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 to 19 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 20 to 29 years old

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 30 to 39 years old

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 40 to 49 years old

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • 50 to 59 years old

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • 60 to 69 years old

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • 70 to 79 years old

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • 80 to 89 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 90 and beyond!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
So who is my partner in group 80 - 89?

That would be me. If I can get my wife (Barihappy) to vote we might have enough to start a small rock group. Can you imagine the fun we could have trying to name a group of 80+ year old ukulele "Rockers".

AustinHing,
As a uker, 8 years.

That says it all. I retired 3 years ago at 60. I taught band, string and some classroom music. My main instrument was trumpet and I haven't played too much the last 10-15 years. I always thought I'd start practicing trumpet again on a regular basis after retiring.
Now we have the time to travel whenever we want instead of summer break. I take my Kamaka with me wherever we go. I can't do that with trumpet. I realized I just can't be bothered with trumpet any more. Two very nice professional horns are just sitting there. Each instrument is worth around 2 grand. I'm considering selling them and putting the money towards a new tenor.

Wow you got to retire at 60? I live in the SF area. I figure I'll be able to retire when I'm dead.

My daughter tells me that only old people do internet forums anymore. Maybe there is something to that.

Nah, I'm in a moped forum that has people from their twenties up. Mostly early 30s. Great guys and I never get any guff showing up at rallies at 60.

Yeah, she could well be right, & it seems it's only us old 'uns who do e-mail too. :eek:ld:

And the people who work at universities, apparently.

The forums comment may have some merit though. I was pleasantly surprised when I joined to find a forum with this much history that was still active. But where else can you have such an organized variety of discussions?

My daughter tells me that only old people do internet forums anymore. Maybe there is something to that.

Intriguing.

Of course, I don’t take photos of what I ate for breakfast and post them.
I do, however, take photos of what strings I put on my ukulele.

Different strokes/ strums for different folks.

I put 90+ because today I "feel" 473 years old. :(

The vintage style bulletin board style forum we use here is a relic of the early 1990s and a baby step out of the dial-up AOL forums and chat rooms of yesteryear. I do feel like I'm living in the 1990s when I post here. And, yeah, these forums don't make any sense to the texting/social media/networked gaming generation. Forums are so dad burn slow moving and graphically dull. We actually have to write Old World sentences...

My dear AustinHing,
Everyone brings sunshine and laughter to others,
Some when they arrive,
Some when they leave.

I hope I have brought some! I reap much more than what I could imagine. There’s a huge bunch of genuinely nice folks here except when enabling UAS instead of curbing it!

I hope I have brought some! I reap much more than what I could imagine. There’s a huge bunch of genuinely nice folks here except when enabling UAS instead of curbing it!
I like being enabled, though my UAS, UBAS, GAS seems to be curbed at the moment with 9 ukes, 25 bass ukes, 3 amps, 6 mics with wireless adapters and 3 mixing boards. (Yep, I'm a retired Baby Boomer with disposable income.)

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Geez , I just made it into the 60 to 69 section , and I'm wondering if everyone there is a former guitar player like me.

Geez , I just made it into the 60 to 69 section , and I'm wondering if everyone there is a former guitar player like me.
Yep, played guitar almost fifty years from when I was fifteen in 1965. Switched to ukulele over six years ago and a year later added bass uke. Gave my nephew two of my guitars (a very accomplished guitarist and composer), and gave two to a couple of people in my Sunday acoustic group Meetup.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wow you got to retire at 60? I live in the SF area. I figure I'll be able to retire when I'm dead.

Most teachers retire around 60. In my state the max pension is based on 37.5 years of service. Many start teaching around 22-23. I taught 34 years and started at 26. Teaching is different than other occupations. The kids are always the same age and every year I was a year older. I also opted to leave at the end of our three year contract. The medical benefit package was going to change and not for the better.
I also live in a less expensive area than SF and we have no children. We were able to save quite a bit instead of paying college tuitions. We're not rich but have enough money for all the things we need and some of the things we want. We're luckier than most! My wife's sister lives in Pacifica and their home is small, maybe 1,100 square feet. Last I heard their home was worth upwards of 800 grand. They bought it in the mid 70's for around 30 grand. I have 2,300 square feet and could maybe sell it for 200 grand.

I like being enabled, though my UAS, UBAS, GAS seems to be curbed at the moment with 9 ukes, 25 bass ukes, 3 amps, 6 mics with wireless adapters and 3 mixing boards. (Yep, I'm a retired Baby Boomer with disposable income.)

Your personal inventory could possibly supply for a few bands at the same time. :p

Speaking of the poll, there’s seems a lack of 30 and below ukers. The uke makers must be worried about this.

Your personal inventory could possibly supply for a few bands at the same time. :p

Speaking of the poll, there’s seems a lack of 30 and below ukers. The uke makers must be worried about this.

You'd be amazed by how many people take up the uke in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s. I don't think the luthiers have anything to worry about, for a long, long time.

I took up the ukulele at age 55. I am 61 now and still a while from retirement.

That might change if I could collect both State Teachers Retirement (been teaching since 2001) and Social Security (paid into SS from 1975 to 2006 and eligible to retire at age 66.8).

As it stands now, I lose a chunk of my Social Security because of the Windfall Elimination Provision. There was legislation introduced in 2018 that would give me a stipend to reimburse the lost SS (the Equal Treatment of Public Servants Act), but it stalled in Congress. So, I will probably continue to teach as long as I am physically able.

Top Bottom