What’s the average age here at UU Poll

What’s your age?

• Below 10 (there shouldn’t be any replying, but you never know)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 to 19 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 20 to 29 years old

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 30 to 39 years old

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 40 to 49 years old

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • 50 to 59 years old

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • 60 to 69 years old

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • 70 to 79 years old

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • 80 to 89 years old

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 90 and beyond!

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Sometimes it's a necessity. I'm too pooped to work. I actually wore myself out!
Well life is hard and that’s what the uke is for!

You'd be amazed by how many people take up the uke in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s. I don't think the luthiers have anything to worry about, for a long, long time.
I guess you are right. Meanwhile UU continues to fuel UAS.

Another boomer here. Turning "the age of mandatory medicare" (blech!) at midnight tonight, but really feel like 35 only much better (hooray for menopause!) Definitely not retired nor planning to, although I choose what work to do, and no longer run the rat race of earlier times. Praise God, life is simply pleasant, and pleasantly simple - No TV, Facebook, smartphone, drugs or doctors! Did all my traveling when I was younger, so now I'm just more of a homebody, with retired hubby and the clan of kitties, and of course, my musical instruments. Next week marks exactly 20 years that we're in this same house, and lately we're spiffing up the joint to celebrate the milestone.

bratsche

I retired comfortably, in the early 90's after serving over 2 decades in the United States Marine Corps. I was in my mid 40's and shortly after decided to go to work, again, as retirement bored me. I'm going on 27 years now at a Ford dealership in San Diego's North County and it became a paid hobby about 20 years ago. After selling Commercial Trucks for just under 20 years, I was promoted to Technology Manager and have been teaching people how to talk to their vehicles, to make their technology work. My job is now a well paying hobby! As a professional musician and professional sound engineer, I also get paid well for both of those hobbies. My goals over 50 years ago were far short of what I've achieved. With an upper graduate degree in electrical and electronics engineering, two Masters in music and an Associates in Constitutional law, I never dreamed I would end up where I am, now. Life is great!

Most teachers retire around 60. In my state the max pension is based on 37.5 years of service. Many start teaching around 22-23. I taught 34 years and started at 26. Teaching is different than other occupations. The kids are always the same age and every year I was a year older. I also opted to leave at the end of our three year contract. The medical benefit package was going to change and not for the better.
I also live in a less expensive area than SF and we have no children. We were able to save quite a bit instead of paying college tuitions. We're not rich but have enough money for all the things we need and some of the things we want. We're luckier than most! My wife's sister lives in Pacifica and their home is small, maybe 1,100 square feet. Last I heard their home was worth upwards of 800 grand. They bought it in the mid 70's for around 30 grand. I have 2,300 square feet and could maybe sell it for 200 grand.

I think some of them are on Reddit instead of these forums.

I followed a link the other day, (for a different instrument), which led me to a Reddit 'forum', they aren''t like normal forums, but do seem to have a lot of beginners & their questions on there, & if it's the same for ukes, it's a healthy future for ukes too. :)

(I might even sign up with Reddit myself...)

Did all my traveling when I was younger, so now I'm just more of a homebody...

Yes, that's very important. I hate to hear people talk about all the traveling they plan to do after they retire. We seemed to be traveling all the time when we were younger, not I have no interest in that. There are enough pictures and videos online to show me foreign countries. :)

"There are enough pictures and videos online to show me foreign countries"

Waddya mean? You're the one living in a foreign country!:D

68 in Dec. 40 years service with a pension & med aid. No kids. 4 cats, paid off house, and cars. Wife has a pension . Music, and simple woodwork. Re-housing amps and speakers in new plywood boxes. Traveling is a way to spend money fast. There is no value for spending money in 3 weeks, if I compare with how many ukes I could have bought for $ 2600 every time we go overseas. The videos of foreign countries are very nice, and it cuts down me contributing towards carbon emissions. I have no problem being at home / workshop. Listen to good music, have a nap, drink beer.

Love to see that the 80+ group exists. I'm 72 and a ukulele beginner. Looking forward to many years of learning/playing. The biggest problem is controlling a retired, disposable income UAS.

Come on, people, we need more entries in those other age groups to even out that bar graph. :D

Yep, that’s right. I’m giving up uke if according to this chart right now, most ukers don’t live past 80! Uke could be the cause of it. We need to see more 80 and above folk well and alive and ukeing of course. Bleh.

I'll see if I can have our 100 years old uke club member take the survey. Probably not, he's not big on using the Internet. But you never know.

Yep, that’s right. I’m giving up uke if according to this chart right now, most ukers don’t live past 80! Uke could be the cause of it. We need to see more 80 and above folk well and alive and ukeing of course. Bleh.

LOL. I am only 81, however I plan to make 105. I think music keeps one alive more than the reverse.

I'm another of the 80+ group. Like Johnny, I'm 81 and still going strong. Well - not as strong as hitherto, but doin' OK. These days, it takes longer for me to memorise a new song, to the point where I can perform it without a cheat sheet. If I neglect it, the song will very soon fade away. Heigh-Ho.

John Colter.

It seems that Lennon-McCartney picked the right age when they wrote "When I'm 64".

If it wasn't for the pink 30 to 39 bar in the chart, I'd think that the 60 to 69 group was giving us the finger! Oh, wait! I'm part of that group... :eek:ld:

There are many old men everywhere in open mic, music events and concerts. I try not to be a dirty old man.

1. good instruments
  2. good case
  3. avoid old music sheets (Otherwise people sometimes think me play same songs over 20 years)
  4. old songs are ok but pretend to be new challenge
  5. sing in stand posture

I prefer to avoid stage 3. altogether, but my memory is not as reliable as it used to be.

John Colter.

A lot of the over 80's don't even have computers, let alone know how to use forums, so don't count on seeing them here. ;)

LOL. I am only 81, however I plan to make 105. I think music keeps one alive more than the reverse.
Well, you have a long way to go, in that case. Imagine the amount of UAS to live with!

A lot of the over 80's don't even have computers, let alone know how to use forums, so don't count on seeing them here. ;)
That’s true. My 80+ years old Father in law simply cannot use or understand internet. He does own several laptops though.

Top Bottom