GoldTone BUC - any advice?

TobyDog

Reaction score
My GoldTone BUC arrived today. What do folks think of the stock strings that come with it? They feel really stiff to me (I'm used to Worth).

Has anyone changed them? Any advice to get the best sound out of it?
thanks in advance!

I tend to keep the strings that came with the uke. I have the Gold Tone DLX, and whatever strings came with that are fine. I do recall playing a uke that had what seemed like harder strings, and I'll probably change them. I think it was a Martin tenor (used). After playing at a jam session, my fretting fingers were sore, which is unusual.

I had the BUT for awhile. I think it came with the ubiquitous Aquila Nylguts. I replaced with something Flourocarbon - Southcoast or Living Water. I would think Worth would be great on the BUC.

Thanks Jim, Austin & Jerry!

I'm jumping over to GTB/David's thread (employee of GoldTone).
Sent him a PM.

I have high hopes for my little Banjolele;)

Last edited:
I've got a Gold Tone BUC. I'm not sure that it had stock strings or store replacements. Regardless, I made the drumhead rather tight and placed D'Addario Nyltech strings on it with a LaBella low G. It sounds excellent with that combo of strings.

The stock strings on the BUC totally suck. They are thick stiff and in short pure junk and should only be on a Hawaiian ABC store $20.00 tourist souvenir uke. I just bought TobyDogs like new Gold Tone BUC. TobyDog was in the process of changing strings but can't play uke at this time. Fluro carbons are the only way to go unless you want it to sound like the worst ukulele you ever heard. If you want any banjo like sounds go Fluro. I am surprised that Gold Tone would put these heavy stiff awful sounding strings on their product that is now pushing $400.00. Now, after trashing Gold Tone the fit finish quality of this instrument is awesome but somebody really made a mistake with the stock "Aquila" really? strings that come on it. D'Addario EJ99T Pro-Arté Carbon Ukulele Strings yes they are the same gauge strings as their Concert size just a little longer. You can thank me later :) Thank you TobyDog for a very very nice really banjo uke with the right strings. It has scratched my George Formby itch in all the right places

Top Bottom