Thread: Offset Soundholes

Default Offset Soundholes

After spending the last hour sanding, chiseling, shimming and cursing trying to get a slightly off centre neck joint to line up with centre line of the sound hole, I suddenly realised that you Guys who intentionally position the sound holes off center in the upper bout, Don't have this problem do you ?...You crafty Luthiers
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I love off center sound holes. One of my first ukulele 6 years ago has one on each bout.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Asymmetry has got a lot going for it - provided it is deliberate.

John Colter.

Of course, it's always deliberate, isn't it?
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Off centre bridges still a possibility though... My latest focus is off-set elliptical soundholes. Different set of challenges
    20190726_183119.jpg

I usually center the neck first then the sound hole. Just seems easier to me

(ducking to avoid a flying file LOL!!!)

But then again I usually build semi hollow body Acoustic/electric instruments or solid body with no sound holes.
    Last edited by Log Dog; 08-27-2019 at 10:14 PM.

When I route the mortise slightly off center, I just CA a piece of veneer to shim the tenon to bring it back to perfect center.

Thread Information