King of the Road (and the start of another beer can series)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
The idea behind the first beer can series was to get back to the way I used to sing and play ukulele before YouTube. I'd just sing and sip, sing and sip, with no audience -- my way of relaxing. I did another four songs fueled by one can of beer.

Hope you like my rendition of this classic Roger Miller hit:

I know NOTHING (yet) about 'proper' sound recording and/or video production John, but the way you present your 'beer series' is - for me - what music should be all about. Just sitting down 'raw' enjoying making music and the natural sounds it creates. I love watching highly produced music acts, as I love listing to all sorts of music, but this sort of 'natural core stuff' stuff from the heart tops it for me, so well done my friend.

I remember watching live aid in 1984. So many great and talented acts appeared. Yet the highlight for me was Phil Collins. Just one man and his piano, nothing else, kept millions of people all over the world deathly silent whilst they listened to the sound he was producing. Now to me, THAT is what music SHOULD be about.

Thanks for sharing this matey.

Thanks, Dave! I agree with what you said and I think often simple is best and most powerful. That said, I do enjoy "working on" a video in post-production, like adding harmony, extra instrumentation, not to mention seeing what I can come up visually, sometimes with green-screened clones and stuff like that. YouTube has been a great creative outlet for me.

I think I'll do more "beer can series" once in a while, and I'm thinking a "glass of wine" series might be fun, too!

Have to choose more upmarket songs for THAT series my friend.
And only the very best of classics if you do a champagne series!! ����

John, simply fantiastic! Roger Miller wrote and recorded some great songs and your style matches perfectly with this song. Stirring up those memories again. Sadly, I'm on my way to work and school, so won't be able to join you in a beer until much later. :cheers:

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I love his song "Dang Me," but that's a hard one to do! Anyway, when you get that beer, cheers! :)

Thanks, Joseph! It did! I love Japanese beer!

Thanks, Brenda! Yes, my second beer series. This can of beer fueled five songs, but the fifth song didn't make the cut. Ha ha! :D

I know NOTHING (yet) about 'proper' sound recording and/or video production John, but the way you present your 'beer series' is - for me - what music should be all about. Just sitting down 'raw' enjoying making music and the natural sounds it creates. I love watching highly produced music acts, as I love listing to all sorts of music, but this sort of 'natural core stuff' stuff from the heart tops it for me, so well done my friend.

I remember watching live aid in 1984. So many great and talented acts appeared. Yet the highlight for me was Phil Collins. Just one man and his piano, nothing else, kept millions of people all over the world deathly silent whilst they listened to the sound he was producing. Now to me, THAT is what music SHOULD be about.

Thanks for sharing this matey.

"What Dave said!" Great job, John! My wonderful Uncle Jack Sheehan was an upright jazz bass player, and I remember that he absolutely loved Roger Miller! I was only in the eighth grade when Jack died at the too-young age of 46 (lawyer by day, musician by night, a little too close to the alcohol, you know the story). In later years, a number of his contemporaries told me that he was regarded as "one of the best bass players in the Midwest". John's cool rendition of "King of the Road" takes me back... thank you, John! Everyone have a good weekend!

Thanks, Bill! Sorry that you lost your uncle at such a young age and sad that the world lost such a talented bass player. Anyway, have a great Labor Day weekend!

Thank you so much, John. Yes, it's strange realizing that my Uncle was 46 when he died, and here I am now at 66, still lucky enough to be keeping the music going!
I think he would be proud of me. Perhaps it's not too crazy to suggest that a part of him lives on, through me? And I'm sure that many of us could say the same with respect to loved ones who have gone before us!

Thanks, Dave! I agree with what you said and I think often simple is best and most powerful. That said, I do enjoy "working on" a video in post-production, like adding harmony, extra instrumentation, not to mention seeing what I can come up visually, sometimes with green-screened clones and stuff like that. YouTube has been a great creative outlet for me.

I think I'll do more "beer can series" once in a while, and I'm thinking a "glass of wine" series might be fun, too!

Nice job as always!. While I like arrangements and production, and many songs need something like that, often simplicity can say so much more.

I can see potential for so many different variations. Maybe the scotch series!

Thanks, EDW! I think one of the best examples of "simplicity" is Iz's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Just voice and ukulele, but oh so powerful! Good idea about the scotch!

Bill, I like to think that loved ones who pass away live on in our hearts and memories. Your uncle must be glad that you're keeping the music going!

Love that song, and the Asahi Super Dry! Great job!

Thanks, Uncle Leroy! Thanks, At Sunrise! If Asahi pays me for product placement, I'll do all my videos that way! :)
Thanks, Laurence! Speaking of carbonated drinks, I don't remember the last time I had a Coke. One day I decided to stop drinking it in order to reduce the amount of sugar intake and I've been pretty disciplined about it. I think it was a good health move! :)

Top Bottom