Wound 3rd strings

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
All my tenors are low G and I prefer a wound 4th paired with a wound 3rd. The very best wound 3rd was from South Coast but with Dirks passing the strings are no longer available.

Most people have gravitated to the Thomastik CF27, it is very squeekless. But paired with a Fremont Soloist which is chiney the CF27 can sound a bit flat. I have used D'Addario Silverwound classical guitar strings in .028" diameter with good results.

I have a new favorite that I wanted to inform the membership about. Savarez has a wound string designed for the 3rd position (G string) on classical guitar. I have it on two classical guitars and love it. So I put it on my Kimo super concert and Koolau tenor. Fabulous sound that pairs perfectly with the chime of a Fremont Soloist wound low G. This Savarez 527R can be purchased through Strings by Mail, use the search bar to more easily find it.

20190828_073812.jpg20190828_073708.jpg

Is it smooth wound Dave? I like the tone and volume of the Oasis wound C string, but way too much squeak, especially when paired with the Fremont.

Is it smooth wound Dave? I like the tone and volume of the Oasis wound C string, but way too much squeak, especially when paired with the Fremont.

Hey Steve, no it is not smooth wound. That is the one draw back, it’s not as bad as D’Addario but there is some squeak

Thanks for sharing your recent find Dave. I have been using the Thomastik CF30 paired with the CF27 for wound G and C pair on my 2 Super Tenors. They pair well together but I do quite like the sound that the Fremont brings for a low G and I am excited to hear it with the Savarez.
Time to place an order with Strings By Mail. ��

Thanks again,

Steve.

I have used D'Addario Silverwound classical guitar strings in .028" diameter with good results.

I have thought about using a d'Addario .026 as a low A for my 6-string uke (as this diameter is spec'd with their six-string set). But as I wear wound strings very quickly I am curious about length, and wonder if the guitar string is long enough to be cut in half and used for two replacements on the tenor uke?

I have thought about using a d'Addario .026 as a low A for my 6-string uke (as this diameter is spec'd with their six-string set). But as I wear wound strings very quickly I am curious about length, and wonder if the guitar string is long enough to be cut in half and used for two replacements on the tenor uke?

I can’t remember the length but I don’t think I have ever cut one in half. I will be home in about 4 hours from now and I can measure one for you

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. I'm a true believer that to get the sustain a clarity that I continue to look for, I've gotta go wound on the third and fourth. I'll bet my "Twin" Boat Paddles will love them.

I just measured the length of a D’Addario silver wound NYL026 and it is 41”. It won’t be long enough for two lengths. When you consider the knot at the bridge, wraps around the tuning peg and slack you need to start because it is a wound. I just did a fluorocarbon A string and it was 24”, that is starting tight, no slack, had maybe 1” on each end.

I just played on a uke with a wound C string. It sounded a lot nicer than most unwound C strings.

I just measured the length of a D’Addario silver wound NYL026 and it is 41”. It won’t be long enough for two lengths. When you consider the knot at the bridge, wraps around the tuning peg and slack you need to start because it is a wound. I just did a fluorocarbon A string and it was 24”, that is starting tight, no slack, had maybe 1” on each end.
Thank you very much. I will just buy the regular tenor strings then.

I like that one too, and the squeek doesn't bother me.

Question ......I prefer re-entrant (High G) on my concert ukuleles. I don't notice the C string "thudiness" on my KoAloha with Living Waters strings, or Blackbird Clara with Oasis Bright strings. I do, however, notice it on my Moon Bird with the Black Water strings. In all other respects, I like the Black water strings. Would a wound C solve my problem? If I remember correctly, wound strings don't need adjustment to the nut, is that correct?

Question ......I prefer re-entrant (High G) on my concert ukuleles. I don't notice the C string "thudiness" on my KoAloha with Living Waters strings, or Blackbird Clara with Oasis Bright strings. I do, however, notice it on my Moon Bird with the Black Water strings. In all other respects, I like the Black water strings. Would a wound C solve my problem? If I remember correctly, wound strings don't need adjustment to the nut, is that correct?

It might, give it a try.

Wound strings are thinner than fluorocarbon, so the nut should be fine.

Top Bottom