2nd Ukulele advice

Badger uke

Reaction score
I think choosing my 2nd uke is harder than my first , I have been considering a koko Pili about $250aud or should I be looking at something like a Kala solid mahogany $350aud ,I mostly finger pick thanks David

Do you mean Koa Pili Koko? I live in Australia and own one of those. Coincidentally it was my wife's and my second uke.

I've forgotten what site I bought it from, but wherever it was, they didn't set it up. At the time, I knew nothing about set ups. If it had been set up at the beginning I would have been pretty happy with it.

Since I got it, I lowered the saddle to improve the action and widened the bridge slot to fit a low G string. If you want to use an unwound low G string, you will probably need to widen the nut slot, too. At the moment I use a wound low G. If you want to use a high G string, the bridge and nut slots won't be an issue, but it is something to think about.

A common complaint with KPK ukes is that they are heavy and overbuilt. While mine is definitely on the heavy side, I quite like the sound.

I'm not sure about the Kala because I haven't played that particular model, but it should also be good.

A good thing to note is that although the name is "Koa Pili Koko," it is not actually made from Koa wood. It is made from an unidentified variety of acacia.

Anyway, this is what it sounds like:

Last edited:
Top Bottom