where do you live

ripock

Reaction score
You thought this was going to be one of those invasive personal polls, but it isn't.
My question is where are your fingers’ natural abode? I ask because I’ve been going through some changes lately and have been wondering about other people.

Over time I have been drifting up the fret board. Nowadays when I grab the ukulele my fingers naturally just go to that area between the 7th and 11th frets.

Part of why I do it is my preferred key, E. This area is bracketed by a root note and a dominant note, so it is good for me. Also this area has three pentatonic shapes (six, if I’m playing linear).

Part of why I do it is comfort. The 7th fret is right in the middle. Any lower and I have to stretch my arm a bit and any lower things start getting cramped.

I think I also like this 7 through 11 area because it gives me places to go. If I play down there in the first three frets (like most of us are taught) musically my back is against the wall. The nut blocks any progress toward lower pitches. Whereas the middle of the fret board allows movement in either direction.

The biggest challenge I have is the formation of chords. I am not exactly clueless; I do know the shapes for the essential chord qualities like the triads, dominants, add, and sus, but it takes me a moment or two to remember where the roots of those shapes are and where the corresponding notes are. And when you’re playing, you don’t really have the opportunity to call a time-out; you need to go before the next click of the metronome peals. That’s my burden and I’m working on it. Of course, it only applies when I’m improvising. When I have a plan like, for example, playing a Blues progression in Db...then, before I start, I can ratiocinate and locate my Dbs, Gbs, and Abs and plan which shapes to use.

I tend to hover between 1 and 5 also, probably because I'm doing mostly straightforward chord accompaniment to solo versions of vocal tunes, and I can usually find the voicings I need between frets 1 and 5.

I've been mostly 1-5 for messing around. If a song takes me higher obvs I go and I do like the sound.

I've been using the ukulele from scratch book and in the earlier portion it covers basic chords like C, F, & G up the fretboard which has been fun to mess with. I'm playing some basic chord songs but using these "higher" chord positions to help with practice but also change the sound.

My left hand plays around the middle of the fretboard on my baritones ukes, for a sweeter sound. When playing Country and Folk I may play around the 7th fret, where the tone suits that type of music, but I like to play around the 10th for jazz, where I get that bell-like tone. As I don't play often with others, the key doesn't matter.

I’m still a novice chord melody guy which means I follow exactly like a robot where my music sheet tells me to go. Zero creativity and senses right now. Haha.. So ya, I play all over the board.

1 to 5 for the most part, but I will venture much higher if playing (or working out) a perticular melody/solo!

I play melodies and pretty much every song has me jumping between the 1st to 12th frets. I have been learning my songs off rockclass101 and they jump all over the fretboard. I don't have a "home". I actually recommend this program. This month's song featured the dreaded pinkie hammer on.

Last edited:
You thought this was going to be one of those invasive personal polls...

Many people don't like posting where they live, but I find it interesting. If someone is asking a question, their location can make a big difference. Buying, selling, repairing, getting supplies, and finding groups all depend on where you live.

Another "privacy" thing I wonder about is people posting pictures of their cars and wiping out the license plate number. Do they do that when they drive? :D

Many people don't like posting where they live, but I find it interesting. If someone is asking a question, their location can make a big difference. Buying, selling, repairing, getting supplies, and finding groups all depend on where you live.

Another "privacy" thing I wonder about is people posting pictures of their cars and wiping out the license plate number. Do they do that when they drive? :D

? What? Did you read the post?

Yes, I did, and I was commenting on his first sentence, as I showed in the quotation.

Oh, because your post didn't have anything to do with his post, or even that part of the post. I take it you have an issue with personal polls being called invasive and with privacy? Second time you mentioned the obvious pet peeve about blurred license plates.

I don’t play on the g string very often, might as well have a CEA ukulele. I have been trying to expand on my use of all strings and up the fretboard. On C and E I play up to the fifth fret, and on the A string up to the 12th. In one of the tunes I play, I actually play up to the 16th fret.

It also depends on the ukulele I am playing on. One of my concerts has a neck that isn’t much longer than my soprano.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do appreciate the info. My ukulele journey is taking me up the fret board for practical and theoretical reasons.

Practical: Some of the things I do require a breadth of notes. E.g., yesterday I started picking the melody of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" and I started on the 10th fret and scooted back to the 2nd.

Theoretical: I come from a musical background where my self-perception gainsays complacency. I.e., I have 19 frets, so I have to use them...or at least be able to use them. I play my modes on all 19 frets and it is only natural to follow suit by playing my chords on all 19 frets (or at least as high as I can go with my cutaway.

I am in the process of moving 1200 miles and am about to pack up my ukulele stuff but I am keeping my beloved custom uke with me during my travels. We will be playing half-diminished chords and m7's all up and down the fretboard. By the time October 10th rolls around, the new domicile will be set up, I can pick up the wife, and my upper fret chords should be well on their way to awesome.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do appreciate the info. My ukulele journey is taking me up the fret board for practical and theoretical reasons.

Practical: Some of the things I do require a breadth of notes. E.g., yesterday I started picking the melody of Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" and I started on the 10th fret and scooted back to the 2nd.

Theoretical: I come from a musical background where my self-perception gainsays complacency. I.e., I have 19 frets, so I have to use them...or at least be able to use them. I play my modes on all 19 frets and it is only natural to follow suit by playing my chords on all 19 frets (or at least as high as I can go with my cutaway.

I am in the process of moving 1200 miles and am about to pack up my ukulele stuff but I am keeping my beloved custom uke with me during my travels. We will be playing half-diminished chords and m7's all up and down the fretboard. By the time October 10th rolls around, the new domicile will be set up, I can pick up the wife, and my upper fret chords should be well on their way to awesome.

I envy your grasp of theory and chords.My goal for my second year is a much better understanding rather than just following instructions.

I envy your grasp of theory and chords.My goal for my second year is a much better understanding rather than just following instructions.

After a lifetime in education, my advice is to keep following instructions. Just keep following instructions 'til the time comes when you just naturally break free. You have to learn the patterns before you can unlearn them and branch out on your own. A long time ago I was told that the only day you don't practice is the day you don't eat. That's a bit harsh but the idea is sound: keep practicing. The rest will follow.

I stay in frets 1-5 mainly, but I'm venturing up the neck more & more. Mostly when I'm putting a chord melody together, and staying in the first position gets a bit stale for every verse.

Now I play mostly 1st position chords, 2nd position ones to the 3rd fret sometimes barring to the 5th. There has been some adjustment after a mild stroke, hey it still makes me happy.

Last edited:
My playing style is usually favoring open chords. I definititely need a strap support if I go higher with chords, which I don't use most times. It is not so with soloing, then I go higher, up to 15th fret for C and sometimes also the D. My uke plays them well in tune there. Eb is the highest on 18th fret but seldom used.

Top Bottom