Hurricanes and Humidity

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
It looks like I may be smack in the path of Dorian and may be without power for a few days. Regarding all the important stuff, we are prepared and expect to remain safe...

But my primary concern is the condition of my ukes! Any suggestions for an environment that will go from 50% to 80+% humidity?

Keep them in their cases and somewhere safe. More importantly, make sure you and your family are safe. Good luck.

Keep them out of the water (obviously, but a good reminder if there is flooding where you are located). The Ukulele Site said that they have only had one situation where a ukulele had issues because of too much humidity...it was a person who was on a ship long-term in a tropical location (double humidity). As the humidity will drop after Dorian is gone, your ukuleles should be fine.

It looks like I may be smack in the path of Dorian and may be without power for a few days. Regarding all the important stuff, we are prepared and expect to remain safe...

But my primary concern is the condition of my ukes! Any suggestions for an environment that will go from 50% to 80+% humidity?

Stay safe! Ukuleles can be replaced, but living beings can't.
I hope that the storm misses you.

My guess is that keeping the ukulele in the case & maybe protected with it wrapped in a plastic bag or in a plastic bin could help, but others might have better advice.

Without really knowing, I always thought it was drastic or rapid changes in humidity and/or temperature that caused some problems, such as cracking and finish checking. So, to minimize that, the plastic bag idea is not a bad one and I might even leave them in the bags a few days after humidity returns back to normal.

I think long term exposure to dry climates also causes wood shrinkage that can lead to cracking, warping, sharp frets, etc. good luck. Be safe!

The Ukulele Site said that they have only had one situation where a ukulele had issues because of too much humidity...it was a person who was on a ship long-term in a tropical location (double humidity). As the humidity will drop after Dorian is gone, your ukuleles should be fine.

That's been my experience. I took one of my concert pineapples from home (almost always 45-50% in the house and shop) to the South Pacific (very high humidity) for two to three weeks. It swelled up like a dead possum in August but went back to its usual self when we got home.

Good luck to you and stay safe!

This rode out hurricane Irma hit Puerto Rico a few years ago. Irma was the forgotten hurricane that hit ten days before Maria hit. I got out between them. It fared just fine, although it is a laminate Makala, so maybe not a fair test.

Irma.jpg

When we are not in Puerto Rico we are in Iowa. It is not uncommon for the humidity to bounce between 50% and 80% over the course of a few days all through the summer. Even sometimes higher. As I sit here we are at 74% in the house and by afternoon it will be 20% less. I have three solid ukuleles that sit out all summer and I have never even thought about it.

Keep them out of the water (obviously, but a good reminder if there is flooding where you are located). The Ukulele Site said that they have only had one situation where a ukulele had issues because of too much humidity...it was a person who was on a ship long-term in a tropical location (double humidity). As the humidity will drop after Dorian is gone, your ukuleles should be fine.
A fellow I know grew a nice crop of black mold in his guitar, but he was one of those type who can't get enough of a good thing. I think he wrapped it in garbage bags with probably a half dozen humidifiers. Anyway, enough humidity that it condensed on the inside surface of the plastic bags. Yikes. I think he went overboard with it.

This rode out hurricane Irma hit Puerto Rico a few years ago. Irma was the forgotten hurricane that hit ten days before Maria hit. I got out between them. It fared just fine, although it is a laminate Makala, so maybe not a fair test.

View attachment 120940

When we are not in Puerto Rico we are in Iowa. It is not uncommon for the humidity to bounce between 50% and 80% over the course of a few days all through the summer. Even sometimes higher. As I sit here we are at 74% in the house and by afternoon it will be 20% less. I have three solid ukuleles that sit out all summer and I have never even thought about it.

How did you write the name on the uke?

Top Bottom