Martin Wartime 40s Style 0 soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Hate to sell, but my hand issues continue, and I really can't play sopranos effectively anymore, needing the bigger concert and tenor scales.

This uke is vintage wartime, about 1943, one of Dave's (PetalumaRescuke) rescued Martin sopranos. It was his daily player for a while. It has plenty of wear and finish crazing, repaired cracks (2 on back, one on upper side) and dings, and probably an overspray. A beat but sweet road dog. Bar frets, violin pegs were replaced with Pegheds, which work great. Small black strap pin installed on bottom. Dave does wonders with these, and this one is no exception: plays and sounds great, classic sweet Martin sop tone & bark. If you like mahogany sops, you'll love this. Nut is 35mm, string spread at nut a very generous 31mm, and action at 12th is 2.5mm. Strung with Martin M600, which sound fabulous.

No case or strap included. I don't want to make anything on this one, just regain what I have into it, and pass along the good karma I got from Dave to another UU'er, so I'm selling this for $299.00 + $20.00 shipping in CONUS only.

20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg

Last edited:
What a deal!
They made bar frets into the 40's?
(I keep saying that I need to learn my Martins!)

What a deal!
They made bar frets into the 40's?
(I keep saying that I need to learn my Martins!)

Curious about this too. From what I've read, the decal appeared in 32 and the bar frets went through 34, so I would've guessed this uke to be between those years.

Is there another wrinkle to dating these?

Not sure, but I think they did a few things differently during the war, frets, tuners, etc.

Dave here, The bar frets on the wartime Martins are made of stainless steel. silver nickel was diverted to the war effort, that situation also required the return of the wooden pegs.
This one was my hanging by the computer soprano. I didn't think I would sell it because of the general condition, until I was convinced it went to a player. I would miss if I didn't have 4 more plus one in the oven to play with. The installed Pegheads are worth about 1/4 his asking price.

Beautiful uke, John and Dave. GLWTS!

Thread closed. Not much interest, so I decided to just keep it, as it sounds and plays so sweet. Now back to work on the sop chops.

Can't believe this didn't sell at that price! Yeah, keep it for now. You can always put it back up if you change your mind.

Yeah, nice player. Always good to have a nice Martin around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom