Amp for a solid body uke

Nigelapp

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Risa LP Electric Tenor Ukulele and was going to pair it with a Fishman Loudbox Mini, which would also work with my other electro-acoustic ukulele.

However I am worried that if I am playing with a distortion pedal it may damage the tweeter in the amp.

Does anyone have any suggestions for amps that can be used for both solid body and electro-acoustic ukes or failing that a decent mid-price amp that would work with an electic ukulele and distortion pedal.

I want something loud enough to play at a small gig/pub but without breaking the bank. (I looked at the Henriksen Bud amps that have the ability to turn the tweeter off but they are £££)

Far from being an expert. I have played my Godin through my Loudbox Mini the most, second through a Vox mini 5. I've played around with my son's Fender Mustang solid state and my brothers Fender (Vibralux reverb???) tube amp with peddles.....boy that was fun....

Set your budget, see what's in that range, then come back and ask about specific models. Do you want more of a ukulele sound or more of a guitar sound? And how will you use the amp and/or peddles to shape your sound?

There are some good threads to search on amps as well.

Apologies on my long winded answer. Reread you post. I have no idea about the effect of your peddle use your Loudbox tweeter.......not enough experience.....others should be more able to help.

Sounds like maybe you want to turn it up or shred some blues.......have fun!

Last edited:
I have a Risa St and play it through my Zoom G1X Four multi effects pedal to a Boss Katana Mini amp which I am going to replace with a Vox VX50.

It sounds very good through the Boss Katana Mini but I use the amp for other uses and at 6W it is a bit small in power but that said it does have a large speaker for its size and is vastly more powerful than most small amps like the Blackstar which is a meagre 3W.

BTW
I van well recommend the Zoom, it has 50 patches each of which can have up to five effects. Hence there is plenty of scope in the $99 Zoom to have custom sounds available.

Last edited:
I am looking at buying a Risa LP Electric Tenor Ukulele and was going to pair it with a Fishman Loudbox Mini, which would also work with my other electro-acoustic ukulele.

However I am worried that if I am playing with a distortion pedal it may damage the tweeter in the amp.

Does anyone have any suggestions for amps that can be used for both solid body and electro-acoustic ukes or failing that a decent mid-price amp that would work with an electic ukulele and distortion pedal.

I want something loud enough to play at a small gig/pub but without breaking the bank. (I looked at the Henriksen Bud amps that have the ability to turn the tweeter off but they are £££)

This Risa uke has magnetic PUs so will be much more suitable for a regular amp. If your other uke has a low-powered piezo PU then it has different requirements for amplification and should be ok just plugged into PA with a pre-amp. Of course you can plug any uke into any amp, but one of them will not sound its best, so you may have to make a decision which of the ukes you will play more through the amp.

Thanks. I guess the budget is £200-300. I have been looking at the Roland AC33, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Boss Katana and the Fender Acoustasonic ranges but unsure how these work with a solid body distorted Uke. I am looking for a good acoustic sound for the electo ukulele ( hence the Fishman ) but with a good overdriven, distorted rock sound for the solid body.

That Fishman will work fine, no worries.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

As the Risa LP Ukulele is basically an electric guitar, any highly rated setup for electric guitar will do.

Distortion pedals won't damage that amp, but it won't give you the best results.
Electric guitar distortion sounds better through amps designed for it

Nigel, for what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the little 15-watt Vox Pathfinder 15R (with reverb). I don't think they're making them any more, but it's possible you could grab one on the pre-owned market. I used my Pathfinder for about 15 years in a light rock/smooth jazz group, with fantastic results. It's designed primarily for electric guitar, but it handles acoustic-electric nicely too. It never let me down. And I did use an MXR Distortion Plus pedal with it quite often, whether for solos or just some extra crunch on rhythm parts. Even used it at several outdoor gigs, where the sound guy would just mic-it-up, and it worked like a light-packin' charm!

Top Bottom