Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C tuned an octave high by accident!

Use a tuner with a Uke mode and use that mode to tune your uke.

There is also Chromatic mode which will let you tune to any C in its range hence it can be easy to get it wrong.

After using a tuner ALWAYS manually check by playing and comparing string by string ie fretted 5th on the G with the open C string below which should result in the same tone then 4th fret C with open E, 5th fret E string with open A, job done. BTW consider this task ear training.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

A friend in our group wanted to try Low G once, so I fitted the string for him and left him to tune up. A week later I discovered that he had tuned the Low G to the pitch of a standard re-entrant High G! The stress on the string and the neck of his uke were tremendous.I immediately tuned it down for him, to where it should have been; he then decided that he did not like Low G, as the string would not stay in tune for a couple of days! He had failed to grasp the concept of 'Low G' altogether, but luckily no seriouis damage resulted. All it had cost him was the price of the Low G string and a bit of experience!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Remember also this as you live in Finland same as me. We have huge humidity differences between summer and winter and even if what I mentioned happened, which is probably unlikely. Without humidification we need almost 2 saddles if not humidifying our ukes or the room that we keep them. In winter the action goes lower without
    Sorry Jarmo, You mean we need 2 saddles because they lower because of the dryness or because they lose their attachment easier?

And yeah, the winter is dry, but that's not the case yet. I've considered buying a hygrometer, but I got the impression from the shop that the humidifier isn't necessary...

I also live in a low-energy apartment that stores the heat from the outgoing air, reducing the need for radiator heating, which, I suppose, leaves the air more humid? I have no idea about the real humidity level though - hence the longing for hygrometer.

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    A friend in our group wanted to try Low G once, so I fitted the string for him and left him to tune up. A week later I discovered that he had tuned the Low G to the pitch of a standard re-entrant High G! The stress on the string and the neck of his uke were tremendous.I immediately tuned it down for him, to where it should have been; he then decided that he did not like Low G, as the string would not stay in tune for a couple of days! He had failed to grasp the concept of 'Low G' altogether, but luckily no seriouis damage resulted. All it had cost him was the price of the Low G string and a bit of experience!
    Thanks, TopDog, this is also reassuring to hear! What kind of uke was it?

No Jupu, it is not because of the saddle, but the box. The laminate ukuleles survive typically fine our dry winters and without any humidification, just the action goes lower. With solid wood ukes it is different and I recommend humidification for them to not cracking. The action goes of course lower the same if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    No Jupu, it is not because of the saddle, but the box. The laminate ukuleles survive typically fine our dry winters and without any humidification, just the action goes lower. With solid wood ukes it is different and I recommend humidification for them to not cracking. The action goes of course lower the same if not.
    Yeah; this one has a massive koa top and laminate koa sides and back, if I've understood correctly. Maybe it's something in between in that regard too.

When I get a all-solid, I'll get the humidifier inside, cheers!

My attitude would be to wait and see. If nothing broke, nothing showed any indication of lifting, if you didn't hear any cracking noises, probably no harm done. I would just play it and not worry about it. What's going to happen?
    Last edited by Rllink; 08-31-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Jupu, so far as I can recall, the uke that got the High G/Low G ,mishap was a Kala. If not, it was something very similar in price and build quality!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

It takes some time to get the string to a high C. I have a 6 string Pineapple Sunday which has the A and C strings tuned in octaves. When I’m tuning that high C, I have the uke away from me and cringe with every turn. (I hate snapped strings!)

It sounds like everything is fine with your uke.

Thread Information