Thread: Interesting/Unique Favilla (On Reverb)

Default Interesting/Unique Favilla (On Reverb)

https://reverb.com/item/26955552-fav...0-natural-rare

Anyone see anything like this before? Looks very similar to the shape of many of Joseph Bohmanns guitars. Kinda tempted to build a copy of this because its so cool. I'll post pictures here incase it sells.

ovbtweddhsn2opdgqnit.jpg
    unnamed.jpg

Yeah, I saw that. I have never seen another like that. Interesting...

That's certainly an oldie. Interesting headstock. Were they trying to save weight?

Favilla.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Maybe it’s a converted mandolin?

Looks like it started life as a "Wimbrola", and may have been modified to be strung as a mandolin later. Definitely a unique body shape, and I'm just guessing. But google "wimbrola", and you'll see the possibilities.

Nope. The Wimbrola had 8 distinct angles and joints in the body. This one is all rounded with curves. I really like the body shape whatever it is!

My guess is a mandolin. Looking closely at the bottom of the body there appears to be small holes which could have held the tailpiece. Or perhaps the additional holes in the headstock are red herrings :-) and it's always been a ukulele as the nut and saddle look quite old.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Wow is that a beauty
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Once again, Tom Favilla solves another mystery. Here's his reply to my inquiry:

Jerry,
    It's actually a flat bodied mandolin based on a Wimbrola variation body design.
    While it could be from the late 1920's, I think it would more accurately be from the early 1930'S.
    many were built between 1928 and 1935. No actual production figures are available, but a number
    of groups were built as promotional (special order) items during that period. The colored headstock
    logo's were actually from 1930 to 1933 ( a few used as late as 1935).

https://www.amazon.com/Favilla-Famil...6469196&sr=8-1

Thomas Favilla

Tom has always been very gracious in providing information. he's a real gentleman.

I have always been a Favilla fan, and I am ordering the book Tom provided the link to in his response. There isn't much else out there regarding Favilla history, and this looks like a pretty good read.

Thread Information