Cordoba 15CM Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for this, Baz. Looks a decent bet for a beginner!

A minor gripe I've got is the assertion that "all" Cordoba ukes have those crappy tuners. The 30 series very definitely do not and I sold my Pono deluxe tenor once I had my 30 series Cordoba tenor. Build quality was on a par with the Pono (high praise in itself!) and I preferred the sound and feel. Worth remembering that they have a higher end offering - I think that range was designed by Pepe Romero Jr before he began Romero Creations.

I had a 35T and the tuners were fine: they were either Grover STA-TITE tuners or an exact knockoff. They were smooth and stayed put. So not all Cordoba tuners are crap. The buttons were tiny albeit I wouldn't have minded a wee bit larger button for ease of griping and turning. The Gotoh Planetary tuner buttons on my other instruments are silly small and I'd love to change them to something more finger friendly.

Thanks for this, Baz. Looks a decent bet for a beginner!

A minor gripe I've got is the assertion that "all" Cordoba ukes have those crappy tuners.

Sorry, my bad. Certainly up to the 20 they do. Either way though, I think it's so easy for them to improve these.

Thanks for your reviews. I have read and watched many and quite often agree with them.

As for the layered vs. laminate label, there is a reason for that according to some companies like Taylor. When they say "layered" they mean three thin sheets of real wood glued together as opposed to a "fake wood" product with only a real wood veneer for the top layer. Maybe this is what Cordoba means too. Either way, it can be a bit confusing.
Taylor reference to this:
https://blog.taylorguitars.com/buye...-solid-layered-laminate-acoustic-guitar-woods

To be honest, I don't like it when Taylor do it either. Even if you layer three sheets of real wood together, it's still laminate and not solid wood. I've always viewed such descriptions as a reluctance to use the word laminate because they think 'laminate' has bad connotations. It's still laminate though!

To be honest, I don't like it when Taylor do it either. Even if you layer three sheets of real wood together, it's still laminate and not solid wood. I've always viewed such descriptions as a reluctance to use the word laminate because they think 'laminate' has bad connotations. It's still laminate though!
I see both your point and theirs. I agree it is still a laminate....and definitely "layered" sounds a bit better than "laminate" to most.

I had a 35T and the tuners were fine: they were either Grover STA-TITE tuners or an exact knockoff. They were smooth and stayed put. So not all Cordoba tuners are crap. The buttons were tiny albeit I wouldn't have minded a wee bit larger button for ease of griping and turning. The Gotoh Planetary tuner buttons on my other instruments are silly small and I'd love to change them to something more finger friendly.

Here's a pic of a Grover 9N tuner (white button), next to the knockoff I took off my Cordoba 24T. The knockoffs are ok, but the Grovers seem much beefier and higher quality. I agree with Baz, the big white button tuners on the low end Cordobas are very cheesy looking.

Grover vs knockoff.jpg

Top Bottom