Solid body electric uke

Mattharrier

Reaction score
I have never built, or even attempted to build, any instrument let alone a ukulele - however, I have a yearning to make a solid body. Essentially I want to make a uke that will have the same sort of sound and feel as a guitar (but that I can play, unlike a guitar).

With an electric guitar, I know a truss rod is needed to counteract the tension of the steel strings; is the same true for a ukulele? Are there necks available with truss rods? If not, is this something that I, with few tools and fewer skills, can do?

Matt,
Some ukulele builders like to include a rectangular or square (cross-section) carbon fibre rod for neck bracing. To do this efficiently, a router will be required. IMO, if using stable neck woods with correct grain orientation on short scale, nylon strung instruments, it should not be necessary, but is good 'insurance'.

Last edited:
I have a solid bodies Risa ST uke, it has a proper truss rod which I suggest you consider using.

Do you really want to spend hours building the Uke and take a risk of the neck bending and you nit being able to adjust it to correct.

Top Bottom