Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 394 - The Electric Version

Default Season 394 - The Electric Version

SEASON 394 — The Electric Version

A few years ago, I learned I could run my uke through my synthesizer to get sounds like you would get with an electric guitar. It’s a huge amount of fun. Most kids with guitars get to have this fun at 15. I had it in my mid-50s. Maybe I’m still recovering from playing only sopranos for my first 20 years of uking, but being able to get a different sound out of my uke still brings me joy.

This week I want you to bring the electricity! Option 1: Play anything you want on an electrified ukulele, or add effects to your music after you’ve recorded it, with Garage Band, Audacity, or any other software that will do the job. Or do both. Add some reverb, some distortion, chorus, wah-wah pedal, whatever you want. Find a weird but cool sound. Let your inner 15-year-old go nuts.

I’d really like you to try the first option if you have the equipment available to do so.

If not, Option 2: Sing the body electric. Bring me a song about electricity. Go old school and rock down to Electric Avenue. Go with this year’s model and play Methyl Ethel’s “Trip the Mains” (I’ve got a voltage that’s running high…). Go reaaaaally old school and play Raymond Scott’s “Powerhouse”. Or play an Electric Light Orchestra song that you didn’t get around to in Season 390, or a song by Power Station, Tesla, Edison Lighthouse, Sparks, or AC/DC.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
    • The video must say that it is for the 394th Season of the Ukulele.
    • Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in hearing you perform a song on the ukulele.
    • Original songs are always welcome.
    • Collaborations are always welcome.
    • Collaborations on original songs? Hell, yeah!
    • Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 393 still has a day to go.)
    • The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, September 8.
    NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS! I’ve found that’s as many as I can get through and still remain a useful member of society.
    • My plan at the moment is to give prizes to three winners who will be chosen randomly. I usually give t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by uke4ia; 09-01-2019 at 06:21 AM.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

cool idea. I have felt like I haven't had my voice with having just an acoustic uke(I sold off my Risa a long while back.) have to see if the local guitar center has a contact mic for me to use.

I recently downloaded Guitar Rig 5 for free as a bundle from the Native Instruments people. Might help some people out with getting an electric sound.

what a super theme!

it's great you have option 2 as well as option 1

for anyone who isn't electric and wants to give it a go, you can get a clip-on pickup for a few quid, you can just pop it on your headstock like you would a clip-on tuner, and micro and mini guitar amps start at about 20 to 25 quid, so it is possible to get everything you need to start playing any uke through an amp, for about the price of a cheap and cheerful little starter uke
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Oooooh this makes me happy. My family? Probably less so.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Great idea, Jim! The dogs should enjoy this, too. Accompaniment!!
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Wow, this will be fun...I can feel my inner Jimi calling!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Wow, this will be fun...I can feel my inner Jimi calling!
    Just don't play a Jimi song, because he's one of the few artists whose covers will get you a copyright strike against you from YouTube. But feel free to play the uke with your teeth, or behind your head. That would be awesome.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

Didn't know that Hendrix' estate were blockers. I did All Along the Watchtower, but I guess that's a Dylan song This week should be a lot of fun ~

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony Smurf View Post
    cool idea. I have felt like I haven't had my voice with having just an acoustic uke(I sold off my Risa a long while back.) have to see if the local guitar center has a contact mic for me to use.

I recently downloaded Guitar Rig 5 for free as a bundle from the Native Instruments people. Might help some people out with getting an electric sound.
    The shareware Audacity that a lot of people use to record has several effects in it.

This is a very scary prospect, Jim ... for me and anyone who has the misfortune to listen to me!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Thread Information