Season 394 - The Electric Version

Wow! I had no idea you could get Audacity for free. If anyone is audacious enough to learn how to play the aforementioned "Powerhouse" by Raymond Scott, I'd be truly amazed! Fun season ahead!

I got a book of Looney Tunes sheet music a few years ago. It has a few of the Raymond Scott tunes that Carl Stalling used in the Looney Tunes soundtracks, including Powerhouse. They are all just as hard to play as they sound. If I ever get one of them done, it will probably be Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals.

Perhaps songs by AC/DC would also be in theme...

Good idea! I knew I wasn't being exhaustive there, I just listed the bands that came to mind quickly. AC/DC songs are also acceptable for this week. I will add them to the themepost. I know there's a band called Men & Volts, but I think they're pretty obscure.

Last edited:
Just a small correction, Audacity isn't Shareware, it is in fact F.O.S.S. - Free Open Source Software - completely free to download & use. :)

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a distinction between the two. I have one of those turntables with a USB output that you can use to convert your LPs to digital format. It came with Audacity software, which I've mostly used for removing the surface noise pops and clicks from the digitized LPs.

Well damn. Was gonna use one of my open mic songs tonight as my submission, forgot my tablet. Also somehow brought my high G uke instead of my low G as back up to the Les Paul so I have to think of a completely different set.

An original that I can't play nearly as well as I hear it in my head. I gave it an Autumn theme because I got tired of summer a long time ago and I'm really ready for some falling leaves and cooler weather.

An original that I can't play nearly as well as I hear it in my head. I gave it an Autumn theme because I got tired of summer a long time ago and I'm really ready for some falling leaves and cooler weather.

To go along with listening to this, I have a batch of pumpkin mochi bread in the oven right now.

As some of you will know, Kevin (Mezcalero) and I have been collaborating (as the Griffs) quite a bit in recent weeks. Last week he kindly agreed to work on a new version of one of my originals (written for Ylle's '3' season a year or so back) with me. As he has mentioned elsewhere, for other reasons Kevin had a very difficult week last week but still somehow managed to work wonders in adding some fabulous lead vocals and electric uke to my own vocal harmonies, keyboard, rhythm and electric uke backing (I recently bought a Stagg Les Paul electric concert uke so the timing was perfect for Jim's season). I used the GarageBand Americana Tremelo amp sound for my electric uke part and reverb and a little echo on my vocal harmonies. My huge thanks to Kev for all he did here under difficult circumstances!

thanks for this week Jim.
in my whole life of playing music i've never played electric. not once.
bedroom or pubs, always just live acoustic through an external mic.
i did buy an amp though maybe 5 years back for 100 bucks which has never been used
as you can probably make out from the dust on top of it.
brilliant challenge mate. notwithstanding a small handful you're going to stretch us all here
and way out of our comfort zones; a steep learning curve
akin to bringing up a newborn or learning a new language maybe - that's how it feels right now.
went with a short song first by way of an experiment really,
just to see what i may or may not be able to do, testing the heretofore unfathomable depths of possibility.
have a feeling this will be a memorable week.

Thanks for hosting Jim, absolutely love this theme! This one had been on my to learn list, and once I started the process today, I couldn't stop until it was done. My fingers are like tenderized meat from the steel strings, but they seemed right for the occasion ~

When I bought this uke a few years ago, it already had a pickup fitted. I think I plugged it in for a few minutes to check it worked, and since then it has remained unplugged, mainly for the benefit of the other occupants of this house. But today....the amp just behind me is a Roland MobileCube, bought when my daughter was asked to play the harp at a wedding in a huge church. It did the job, but hasn't been used since. It has settings on the top for electric guitar and distortion. Perfect.

Here's one I wrote yesterday morning. I say wrote, yesterday I decided to pool together some lines that had been swirling round my head for a song I wanted to write. It evolved over the day and I was planning on debuting it at open mic last night but chickened out.

It's about my struggles with depression over the past year and my frustration with the fact that the NHS only really has the resources to be reactive in trying to help me deal with the down days as and when they come, rather than attempting to attack the cause of them.

Clocks in at 6 minutes but if you're going to do an electric week you are going to get excessive soloing from me.

Kevin (aka Mezcalero) and I have finally put the finishing touches on this one!

We used a few different effects to get this sound, from Kev's simulated amp in Logic for the uke part on the chorus, to a drum track built in GarageBand, and more. Thanks for hosting, uke4ia!

It's a wonderful life.

It's A Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse
I am The only one Can ride that horse Th'yonder
I'm full of bees Who died at sea
It's a wonderful life It's a wonderful life
I wore A rooster's blood When it flew Like doves
I'm a box Of poison frogs
It's a wonderful life It's a wonderful life
I'm the dog that ate Your birthday cake
It's a wonderful life It's a wonderful life It's a wonderful life

Last edited:

Had a Heady Topper on the table for you, Jim, but it didn't come out in the video :-(

Had a Heady Topper on the table for you, Jim, but it didn't come out in the video :-(

:cheers:
I've got a bottle of Heady Topper hot sauce in the fridge that I bought at Morse Farm in March, but I don't taste any hops at all. We have a beer made in my town called Boom Sauce that was specifically made to be similar to Heady Topper but more readily available in stores.

New overgrown puppy is finally letting me check out this week. My electric use has effects pedals...this is gonna piss the neighbors off.

And talking of "overgrown puppies" .... I have the song, Jim, I have the electric uke and I have the amp. Unfortunately, I also have a poorly dog who has just had an emergency operation on one of her back paws (see photo). I collected her from the Vet's this morning and she is now staggering around on her three "good" legs and requiring constant attention. Hope to be able to upload something later in the week. (I am sure Eisley would understand and sympathise!)

IMG_20190903_134830.jpg

And talking of "overgrown puppies" .... I have the song, Jim, I have the electric uke and I have the amp. Unfortunately, I also have a poorly dog who has just had an emergency operation on one of her back paws (see photo). I collected her from the Vet's this morning and she is now staggering around on her three "good" legs and requiring constant attention. Hope to be able to upload something later in the week. (I am sure Eisley would understand and sympathise!)

View attachment 121045
Ouch! Best wishes to your four legged friend, and I hope we get to hear from you later.

It was about ten years or so ago that I found this little beauty for sale in a pawn shop for $39.99 (it still has its sticker on it).

WIN_20190904_04_37_36_Pro.jpg

I've had tons of fun with it over the years. Obviously, I didn't use it every time I played the uke, but every time I plugged in, yeah, it was there ti give me 99 different voices, all adjustable themselves to an infinate variety of pedals and delays and grungelizing, and a drum machine to boot.

I tink it was while doing the Top Petty song a few weeks back that it started acting up. Turned out the batteries were running low (never had an AC apapter, although there's a blug for one). The I broke the drum machine button. Just broke through. Then, on replacing the batteries, now it won't turn on at all. Dead!

I opened it up to see what I could see, and nope. No dangling capacitors or obviously broken soldering. I cleaned the battery terminals and just now put it back together, Still won't come on...

Any suggestions?
WIN_20190904_04_37_14_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom