Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 394 - The Electric Version

Quote Originally Posted by Yukio View Post
    Wow! I had no idea you could get Audacity for free. If anyone is audacious enough to learn how to play the aforementioned "Powerhouse" by Raymond Scott, I'd be truly amazed! Fun season ahead!
    I got a book of Looney Tunes sheet music a few years ago. It has a few of the Raymond Scott tunes that Carl Stalling used in the Looney Tunes soundtracks, including Powerhouse. They are all just as hard to play as they sound. If I ever get one of them done, it will probably be Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Perhaps songs by AC/DC would also be in theme...
    Good idea! I knew I wasn't being exhaustive there, I just listed the bands that came to mind quickly. AC/DC songs are also acceptable for this week. I will add them to the themepost. I know there's a band called Men & Volts, but I think they're pretty obscure.
    Last edited by uke4ia; 09-01-2019 at 06:22 AM.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Just a small correction, Audacity isn't Shareware, it is in fact F.O.S.S. - Free Open Source Software - completely free to download & use.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
    Sorry, I didn't realize there was a distinction between the two. I have one of those turntables with a USB output that you can use to convert your LPs to digital format. It came with Audacity software, which I've mostly used for removing the surface noise pops and clicks from the digitized LPs.

Well damn. Was gonna use one of my open mic songs tonight as my submission, forgot my tablet. Also somehow brought my high G uke instead of my low G as back up to the Les Paul so I have to think of a completely different set.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

An original that I can't play nearly as well as I hear it in my head. I gave it an Autumn theme because I got tired of summer a long time ago and I'm really ready for some falling leaves and cooler weather.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    An original that I can't play nearly as well as I hear it in my head. I gave it an Autumn theme because I got tired of summer a long time ago and I'm really ready for some falling leaves and cooler weather.

To go along with listening to this, I have a batch of pumpkin mochi bread in the oven right now.

As some of you will know, Kevin (Mezcalero) and I have been collaborating (as the Griffs) quite a bit in recent weeks. Last week he kindly agreed to work on a new version of one of my originals (written for Ylle's '3' season a year or so back) with me. As he has mentioned elsewhere, for other reasons Kevin had a very difficult week last week but still somehow managed to work wonders in adding some fabulous lead vocals and electric uke to my own vocal harmonies, keyboard, rhythm and electric uke backing (I recently bought a Stagg Les Paul electric concert uke so the timing was perfect for Jim's season). I used the GarageBand Americana Tremelo amp sound for my electric uke part and reverb and a little echo on my vocal harmonies. My huge thanks to Kev for all he did here under difficult circumstances!

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

thanks for this week Jim.
    in my whole life of playing music i've never played electric. not once.
    bedroom or pubs, always just live acoustic through an external mic.
    i did buy an amp though maybe 5 years back for 100 bucks which has never been used
    as you can probably make out from the dust on top of it.
    brilliant challenge mate. notwithstanding a small handful you're going to stretch us all here
    and way out of our comfort zones; a steep learning curve
    akin to bringing up a newborn or learning a new language maybe - that's how it feels right now.
    went with a short song first by way of an experiment really,
    just to see what i may or may not be able to do, testing the heretofore unfathomable depths of possibility.
    have a feeling this will be a memorable week.

Thanks for hosting Jim, absolutely love this theme! This one had been on my to learn list, and once I started the process today, I couldn't stop until it was done. My fingers are like tenderized meat from the steel strings, but they seemed right for the occasion ~

When I bought this uke a few years ago, it already had a pickup fitted. I think I plugged it in for a few minutes to check it worked, and since then it has remained unplugged, mainly for the benefit of the other occupants of this house. But today....the amp just behind me is a Roland MobileCube, bought when my daughter was asked to play the harp at a wedding in a huge church. It did the job, but hasn't been used since. It has settings on the top for electric guitar and distortion. Perfect.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Thread Information